Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dropped my gear today

Well as the title says I dropped some stuff today. I thought it would be a brilliant idea to walk out on some rocks at the beach to get some better shots. On the way back I slipped, My K5 had my 10-17 mounted and I was carrying in my hand my 50-135. After the fall the plastic lcd cover was on the ground along with my K5 and my 50-135. The 10-17 didn't touch the ground and come out unscathed. The 50-135 however hit the ground and split the end cap, there is a mark on the hood but otherwise there is no damage, the focus and zoom is smooth and aperture lever works smoothly, I have taken a couple of shots and it seems to be working fine. I am unable to get photos off for another week and a half but I was wondering what the best way to check for optical misalignment is and also if there is anything I should be looking for with my camera now?
Oh I also managed to get a nice little gash on my arm, took lots of skin off and generally bang myself up, nice effort for a couple of photos really.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Wade

05-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Geez that a horrible story!

Off the side, what LCD plastic cover are you referring too?
I go on beach rocks too(never had a fall yet) quite a bit and often wonder if I shouldn't get something like a rubberized cover or something(not sure what their called). But something.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you if there was anything you think you could of done to help prevent this? and if you had any recommendations for the rest of us rock crawlers out there?

Hope your arm gets better soon!
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn that sucks. My 28-75 took a bounce last fall and de-centered badly - if there's an issue you'll be able to tell easily from any shot made @ f/2.8.

John, I think you're referring to Camera Armor.
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John, the perspex cover I refer to is the one on the back with pentax written on it, the flip side of this information is i now know it is only held in by what appears to be double sided tape, and was swiftly put back in. Not good seeing bits flying off your camera though.

The rock was covered in black algae that blended nicely with the black rock which contributed i think, and the bloody tide came in really quick so I didn''t actually have to get out on the rocks just back.
As for tips, the whole problem would probably have been less of an issue if i had my sling bag with me (the one damn trip I don't take it)

Probably serves me right for going off and taking photos while I was supposed to be working, but hey its the closest I'll get to being a paid photographer.

Thanks for the tip venturi, I will try that tonight. What about the camera sensor or anything like that?

05-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clearly, you may have learned this lesson, but when on uncertain footing, you may need a free hand, so keep one, or you may lose what's in both, as well as 'Your fool neck.'

Do *not* swap lenses without having both your feet accounted for. Lenses are expensive, but also not worth breaking a bone, so don't put yourself there.
05-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm no expert - but if you put a lens on that was not involved in the cataclysm and it produces OOF images then the camera/sensor likely has issues too.
05-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Shoot something far away wide open and see if the sharpness is identical on both sides. Do this at both ends of the zoom range.

05-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cheer guys, I'll try that tonight.
05-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Wet rocks are always slippery whether it's fresh water or salt water at the beach. Carry your gear in your bag or backpack and set up when you get positioned. That way, you have both hands free to balance yourself or crawl if necessary. Once you get to your position you will have a pretty good idea about how safe it is going to be to move around holding your camera. A few extra minutes securing your gear will save your gear and yourself from injury. I'm seriously considering a carrying setup called the Cotton Carrier. It holds your camera tight to your chest where it is secure and not moving and is still quickly accessible. A friend has one and loves it.
05-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Growing up at the beach, I can honestly say that surf rocks (assuming you're meaning a breakwater or somesuch here) should be avoided just on general principal. They're almost always exceedingly dangerous, and all it takes is one fall and you can quite literally get killed.
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjt Quote
........ The rock was covered in black algae that blended nicely with the black rock which contributed i think,
Been there done that!

My spill was at Point Peron, even better was it whilst shooting a wedding with everyone watching

I had everyone in a group near some large sandstone rocks and the best point for me to shoot from was in the middle of a large, flat slab of black rock near the water's edge. The rock was covered in that algea/weed stuff and it was as good as invisible. I started walking, got two or three steps on rock then hit the algae ... it was like walking on wet, slippery ice that had been covered in oil just for good measure.

I did the old cartoon running on the spot thing, legs going like mad, body going no where and over I went on my butt then onto my back with one arm in the air trying to save the camera.

To add insult to injury, as I lay there thinking "Bugger!!", I slowly started to slide backwards towards the water's edge. At least closer to the water there were some sandy patches and I stopped sliding and managed to get up - with my back and butt covered in the slimy black stuff.

Lens hood took the brunt and flew off into the distance, one of the wedding guests found it later and gave it back, and the trusty old K100D continued on like nothing had happened

The wedding was my younger Sister's and most of the guests were friends, it was all very casual down on the beach with most people in shorts and casual clothes, so at least I didn't embarass myself too badly.
06-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #12

I had the same thing out at Marble Bar, slipped on the slime, in I went camera and all.
All still working but lens a bit sluggish.
06-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wade, sorry that happened - ouch. A coupla weeks ago, i dropped my flash/Cactus trigger, was handholding and bumped against a table. Cactus trigger is now dead and i reordered one. Again, handholding stuff - arrgh. Waist belt sounds great.

I'm 63 so am not as spry as i used to be. Best accessory i have is a pair of Columbia hiking boots, even came with a built in waterproof membrane liners. Ultra light with waffle-stomper treads. I always put them on when i go down to the beach, on rocks and stuff. Feel way more secure with them, but slippery rocks can be tricky even with boots.

Best wishes with your recovery efforts,