Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First beauty shoot - What should I tell the model about makeup?

I want a natural look but last time I had a model do her own makeup you could actually see 'powder' or whatever it was on the skin and photographs. This was quite problematic. What should I do? Tell her to come as she is and fix the skin in photoshop? Or is there any advice I can give her? I basically just want natural skin and red lipstick.

05-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on the look you are after. Any of the beauty pictures on published material will be fixed in PP via photoshop. Properly applyed make-up should look clean. It is up the the model to see this is done to your needs. There will be some type of PP photoshop work done to help clean up details in the picture. I do this with any type of shoot I done that is going to be shown to others. It could be as simple as lightness and contrast work. Try using the cameras built in filters like soft focus to help change the look of the model a bit.

Check out some web sights regarding model and glamour photography. They will give a lot of advise you can use.
05-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider hiring a make up artist.
05-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I told her to come without any makeup and I will bring some lipgloss and eyeliner and do it myself so that there are no bad surprises. Now where can I learn basic makeup so I don't mess it up?

05-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Frankly, you are better off letting her do her own makeup rather than you trying to do it if you are asking us where to learn "basic makeup." If you are that worried that the model doesn't have a clue, ask your girlfriend or other female friend who appears to have a clue how to do her own.

Also... makeup is not generally something people "share" so if you do supply it, be prepared to give it to the model or insist on "one-dip" applicators (sorta like how double-dipping a chip in dip is considered bad form).

Mike
05-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Frankly, you are better off letting her do her own makeup rather than you trying to do it if you are asking us where to learn "basic makeup." If you are that worried that the model doesn't have a clue, ask your girlfriend or other female friend who appears to have a clue how to do her own.

Also... makeup is not generally something people "share" so if you do supply it, be prepared to give it to the model or insist on "one-dip" applicators (sorta like how double-dipping a chip in dip is considered bad form).

Mike
Yeah, Mike's right, here. One option you may be able to look into is to find someone who *sells* makeup, and does demonstrations: Mary Kay or, what was that company... I'm not sure they're still around. But, a lot of the people who do that are interested enough in the whole fashion photo world and might be willing to help out, maybe pick up a customer, have a little more of a chance to get a business card out there, etc.

My sister did something similar, (Though I think it was more company-organized) and it seems pretty common for people who do that sort of thing to ask if I do glamour photo in any way.
05-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
I told her to come without any makeup and I will bring some lipgloss and eyeliner and do it myself so that there are no bad surprises. Now where can I learn basic makeup so I don't mess it up?
I have a feeling that could lead to a lot of bad surprises including how difficult it is to apply makeup well and how unpleasent it is to have a novice applying it too you.

Explain carefully what you want to her, let her do her own, do a test shot or two to see if it's working.

05-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be careful if you go to a department store for a demo. Sometimes they make you (or your model) look absolutely ridiculous.

And you won't know how good your model is at make-up until she shows it to you.
05-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a very bad idea. Proper make-up application is actually rather complex. I had to take a theater make-up class that was an entire semester! Admittedly, theater make-up is not photo make-up but the ideas are the same - shadow + highlight, color blending, etc. Let the model do it. She has been learning and practicing her whole life.
05-23-2011, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm hoping you aren't serious, but if you are.....
Don't be an idiot. Either hire a MUA or let her do it herself based on your instruction regarding the look you are after.
This is not something for someone who is clueless to start screwing around with (and you do sound pretty clueless).
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Taking pics of models sans makeup may not be a good idea. Many people just fade into the wall without it photographically speaking. I can almost guarantee you thought that unless you've been doing it all your life the model is going to do it better unless she is a total novice at modeling and pro makeup jobs.

If you could see the powder that clearly in the shots than maybe she had applied it a bit too heavily. Or the light was too harsh and bright and you could see everything? If you are that anal about a bare look you could ask your model to avoid powder based makeup to begin with, or more practically, I'd just keep a bag of disposable makeup sponges and a mirror handy so if it's on too thick you can ask the model to blend a little more. A well done makeup is ultra blended. You shouldn't really be able to see powder on their face at all sans a magnifying glass anyway.

But trying to take shots sans any? It can be done, sure, but there's a good reason for at least a minimal makeup job most of the time. Almost no one gets in front of a camera and looks like they have immaculate skin without it. Some of us, myself included, don't even look vaguely healthy unless we're wearing something, even if it's only base and blush.

Most skin smoothing is actually done these days in post processing actually, but that's up to you. How much post processing do you want to invest in doing? How much time do you have and what effect are you going for?
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No-you want the photo to LOOK like "natural skin and red lipstick." Except the skin should be supernaturally clean and clear and flawless. And the lipstick perfect and flawless.
Yes, you can do a lot with Photoshop, but the best beauty shots use models who are a cut above average, even for models. And applying makeup effectively is not a simple skill. So don't try to do it yourself if you're serious about creating a beauty shot.
If you live near a store carrying more upscale cosmetic lines, you might be able to get one of the clerks to TFP MUA skills in exchange for limited rights to the results. Of course, you'll need to shot images for your use as well as his/her ideas.
Or hire a MUA-I've seen such requests not infrequently hereabouts in the "Gigs/Talent" sections of Craigslist.
Good luck.
05-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, I will tell her to do it herself and give instruction. I have seen her without makeup though (she said she wasn't wearing any because she came from the gym) and she is this beautiful young girl with perfect skin, she looks like Aphrodite's daughter.
05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would definitely second strongly the suggestions about hiring a makeup artist or an experienced makeup sales person. I photographed a wedding where the bride's makeup person was a family friend and Mary Kay salesperson. Let's just say her experience showed with every brush stroke.

As you're probably not looking to pay for make-up, you might want to look for someone who's looking for experience or exposure.