Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Indoor photography...royal P.I.A.!!

I have a Pentax K100d with the kit lens as well as a Sigma 17-70. The sigma is pretty much permanently attached to the body unless I throw on the 70-300. Been shooting with this setup for about 3 years.

To get right to the point...either I, or the camera or the lens is simply TERRIBLE indoors. I just cant get anything to come out in anything other than the dreaded orange glow!

I have played with WB, ISO, etc etc and just cant get good quality, nicely lit photographs of the kids or anything else in the house.

PLEASE...someone help me understand what I can do different.

TY

05-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote
I have a Pentax K100d with the kit lens as well as a Sigma 17-70. The sigma is pretty much permanently attached to the body unless I throw on the 70-300. Been shooting with this setup for about 3 years.

To get right to the point...either I, or the camera or the lens is simply TERRIBLE indoors. I just cant get anything to come out in anything other than the dreaded orange glow!

I have played with WB, ISO, etc etc and just cant get good quality, nicely lit photographs of the kids or anything else in the house.

TY
1.8 or better lens, higher ISO, Spot Metering (I think K100 has sm). I am guessing that using flash is not practical for you?

---
05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

... PLEASE...someone help me understand what I can do different. ...
Flash.
05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

TY
Example pictures with the settings listed would really help.

05-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Flash.
That is why I mentioned "I am guessing that using flash is not practical for you?" as flash would be the solution, but I was guessing that the OP had to of tried flash before anything else as it is so obvious. So I am guessing that the OP is looking for a more natural picture within the shooting environment without a flash...

----
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just cant get anything to come out in anything other than the dreaded orange glow!
TY
An example would help; are you saying they have an orange color to them? Or that your shutter speed is so slow that they are blurry?

Not real clear on what the problem is in order to help you.
05-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

joe.penn guided you in the right direction. You need to use some faster lenses. That is, lenses with lage aperture (low f) typically f1.2, f1.4 or f1.8. These fast lenses are usually fast prime lenses with a single focal length.

Among these fast primes, there are several Pentax 50mm f1.2, 14 or 1.7; another classical lens is the FA31mm f1.8 Ltd. There are also 85mm f1.4 fast lenses (Pentax, Sigma, Vivitar).

Hope that the comment will help.

05-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Post a sample pic with exif data included, and also tell us about the ambient light. (Sunlit room, incandescent, etc.) Then we won't have to guess what the problem is.

But I can tell you right now, you would be surprised how dim indoors light is, even on a bright sunny day with all the curtains open. Flash is your best friend for indoor shooting, but not the built in flash, you need a shoemount flash, preferably off-camera. But those details can be hammered out later, after we have a sample pic to analyze.
05-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi

The K100 is terrible with white balance, even using the custom function.
This is especially true with mixed lights or the mini flo bulbs.
You can do best with Raw files but still a pain.
The KX is spot on most of the time.
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

bobpur, I completely disagree with you. I have both the K100D and the K-7 and the K100D white balance works perfectly fine.
05-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't take photos of something without some light.
Low light photography commands fast lenses and supplemental lighting.
You can even get away with a kit lens indoors if you have a good flash, but focusing will be the main issue.
A fast lens on a faster camera will work wonders. With what you have now, you may need to have a portable light with you just to illuminate the subject enough for the camera to find focus, then the flash will do the rest for the exposure.
05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There's not enough light for your camera/lens system.

Get faster lenses (like a Pentax-(F)A 50:1.7 which needs only 1/8 - 1/4 the light as your present lenses) or get a faster camera body like a K-x (which needs only about 1/4 as much light as your K100D) or get more light (learn to diffuse/bounce flash to avoid the Deer-in-headlight look).

White balance can be fixed - do some experiments to learn how.
05-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As I understand it the OP is having trouble with "dreaded orange glow" and not his shutter speed - so new lenses are really fun but they won't do anything about your problem. Most cameras have the ability to register an image for custom white balance. It is the white balance setting that has this symbol

Find something white to take a picture of and then learn how to use this function on your camera and it should solve your "orange" problem.

Also - no cameras do a perfect job of AWB in any indoor or outdoor environment. Its nice that the newer cameras do better than the older cameras... but they are usually still off by quite a bit if you are actually worried about having nice looking skin tones. Outdoors, most cameras will balance too cool while indoors they tend to be too warm.

If you are shooting under sodium lights then slower shutter speeds will actually help your white balance because the lights can go through a whole cycle while the shutter is open. Under regular tungsten or florescent you should not have any complications unless you have mixed lighting with an open window nearby.
05-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies. Sorry I did not get back sooner...been away from a PC for a few days.

Yes they are orange. Yes sometimes there is motion blur. Heading out of town in a few hours for a family wedding. I will try to post some samples next week so I can get more accurate council. I also do not have a hot shoe flash...which I know I need. And the on camera flash is pretty much useless for getting any kind of genuine authentic colors.

I have an old A 50mm 1.7 but manual focus and children under 10 just don't mix well!

Thanks.
05-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

And the on camera flash is pretty much useless for getting any kind of genuine authentic colors.
You have much to learn.