Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Katz Eye vs. Haoda vs. Chinese eBay focus scree

I'd really like to get a split prism focus screen now that I can afford one. The Katz Eye seems to be popular, the Haoda one seems to have good reviews and the Chinese eBay version is cheap and seems to work ok. I wouldn't mind getting one of the better ones but has anybody ever tried them ALL to see which one works the best?

11-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dont think anyone has tried them all, probably max 2 of them. I have a different one, a Nikon screen. It works well but the lens has to be f2.8 or faster otherwise there will be problems. I have been thinking about katz eye since they claim that their prism will not black out so easilly. my f4 lenses black out indoors and its annoying so if the katzeye doesnt do that then I will consider it.

so if any katzeye owner chimes in on this thread please shed some light on that too
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the standard Katz Eye screen in my DS. They work very well down to about f4.0 (with good light otherwise f2.8) The only issue I had with them is I could not use spot meter mode. The split prism really whacked the meter out.

If you are interested I've got 2 of them still for sale. (Search the marketplace, the post is quite old now). They'll work with the D or the DS.
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Work down to f4 with good light, so indoors its f2.8 ? then its no different from the one I have now... Although they do brag about theirs being special in this respect. Spot meter works fine with mine, but metering in generally gets whacked if the lens min ap is f5.6 indoors, I think because half the center is black and the ground glass is also quite a bit darker so to the meter it looks dark, although, funny thing is that it UNDERexposes, by about 3 stops!

11-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #5

I have a Katz Eye screen in my *ist DL2. Very happy with it. The moment I installed it, the camera felt like my camera for the first time.

I should say that my dealings with Katz Eye was a very positive experience. They company had not tested their product with the DL2, as that model was never sold in the USA. Rachel Katz assured me in email that there would be a full refund in the event that the screen did not fit or function properly in my camera. That's class.
11-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought one of the Chinese ebay ones (for a K100), and it worked great as long as I was using a prime lens with an "A" setting. I shoot almost entirely wider than f/4, so blacking out wasn't really a problem. Stop-down metering with manual lenses didn't work that well, misjudging exposure by about 2-3 stops under.

Rather than "meter, compose, focus, shoot" with M lenses, it became: "meter, check histogram, meter, adjust aperture, compose, focus, shoot". Zooms fared similarly poorly, and the metering problem would get worse with longer focal lengths, probably because the maximum aperture was so small (e.g. f/5.6 on the kit lens).

I finally put back the original AF screen, and while my in-focus percentage is a bit lower than with the split prism, all my photos are exposed more or less correctly.
11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Some good info here. I'm leaning towards the Katz Eye. No Haoda customers here?

11-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
I have a Katz Eye screen in my *ist DL2. Very happy with it. The moment I installed it, the camera felt like my camera for the first time.

This is exactly how I felt when I installed the Katz Eye in my k10D. It's a tremendous joy to be able to manual focus with certainty. I will never own another dslr without one, I love it. I ordered my Katz Eye with their optibrite coating. I have 2 f4 lenses and have no trouble focusing with them, even in low light.
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just received my "Chinese e-bay" focus screen a few days back. I installed it, and the focus seems to be good. The split prism starts going dark around f5.6, which should be pretty usable for me with my m42 lenses. I have yet to fully test how accurate the exposures are going to be, hope to do that by this weekend, so we will see......
11-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I was't going to reply on this thread as I only have used one, a Chinese version. A few things. First, they are bloody great for accurate focus. Unfortunately my targets are often moving, so I ended up reverting back to the easier to use regular screen. I do keep the split on hand.

Issues I had included metering. Even if using regular matrix metering, the results were often off by different amounts. It's not as easy as a simple exposure comp.

I used at 300+ mm with up to F5.6 lenses. The "blackout" is actually not as insidious as it sounds, from my view. If you look directly through the screen, it doesn't black out hardly at all, even at 5.6. It takes getting used to but it isn't so bad.

But I really responded as I would encourage you to research the Katz Eye "ultra bright" or whatever option that is. See if users have found that that has less impact on exposure as that's my biggest beef with the Chinese version and if really effective, would be worth twice what they charge for it, seriously!
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Katz Eye

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
This is exactly how I felt when I installed the Katz Eye in my k10D. It's a tremendous joy to be able to manual focus with certainty. I will never own another dslr without one, I love it. I ordered my Katz Eye with their optibrite coating. I have 2 f4 lenses and have no trouble focusing with them, even in low light.
I have a Katz Eye in my K10 and will never go back. I don't use many lenses slower than F2.8 and haven't had problems indoors or out. Spot metering also works fine for me.

I'll also reinforce the other comments on the customer service from Rachel Katz. Dave
11-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #12

Jim

I'm glad to read of your positive xepriences with the Katzeye focus screen on your DL2. I too would like to get back to using a real screen.

I e-mailed Katzeye a while a go and got a very courteous reply almost instantly saying they didn't produce a screen for the DL2 - so very simply - which one do you use?

regards

Stephen
11-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #13

Stephen, I use the focusing screen for the *ist DL. It fit perfectly.
11-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #14

Jim

thanks for the reply

Stephen
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #15

Just in case anyone's wondering "how bad can an ebay screen be?" -- the images below (click for fullsize) are crops at 100% of identical AF shots (both with the new DA*16-50 2.8, both on a tripod but with SR on -- oops), the left with an ebay screen and the right with a brand-spanking-new Katz Eye.

For the record, I didn't get optibright (so I can't comment on that), and I didn't correct the images at all (obviously). Later this weekend I'll probably do a better comparison.

But, yeah -- get a Katz Eye.