Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

photograph or painting?

[ Behind the Lens: Photograph or Painting? – National Geographic News Watch ]

05-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice article. It just shows just how much work a photogragher will do to get a picture. It can inspire others on this site to look at how they go about creating their images. For a person new to photography, it showcases the need to experiment to get a stunning picture. BTY the image of trees with the background looks great. I guess that it meet the needs of the editors story board. We all can learn from articles like this.
05-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is pretty cool. Fooled me.
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The key to being a good photographer is to stop taking pictures and start making images. When you take pictures, it is a passive process. You capture what is there. When making images, you change the game and actually create using the camera as the canvas. All your tools and equipment (flash, filters, lenses etc. plus the know how and experience you have) are at your disposal. They did a lot of research before even setting foot in the place. How often do we all do that?

Planning helps you lighten your load some too! And yes, it is an amazing image!

05-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That park looks truly stunning even in BW. I've seen many shots on real BW just as inspirational. But of course it is like photographing Yosemite National Park. It's difficult now to get a shot that's unique. But the guy in this article managed to find one which is a nice change from all the heavily post processed landscapes that have become the norm today.
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As soon as you see the actual image it looks nothing like a painting, not even close to anything like a painting - the smaller image on the article page is a little deceiving, but the actual larger image clearly shows that it was a photograph. Great work though...
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This little nugget kind of blew my mind and makes me feel better about ratio of good-great shots out of total shots even if none of them are NG quality.

QuoteQuote:
Why did you choose to shoot the five different frames that appear on this page, and what were you trying to tease out of the landscape in each frame?

Krist: Frans shot almost 16,000 frames for this story, and when I went back to look, I found that he had shot 321 images of the dead trees in Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei. (That’s actually relatively few frames for such an iconic scene, but Frans had a shorter time than usual in the field for this assignment, and he was trying to cover a lot of ground.) He was simply trying to give us the greatest visual variety from that unusual location in the brief time he had there.