Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I thought the street photography in the article was pretty exceptional and that in my mind gives him some credibility. I've tried to take street photos and it really is very very hard ..... carving good composition with people doing something interesting in it, out of a sea of randomness on the street is deceptively difficult.

06-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
FWIW, I didn't confuse him. I intentionally linked to a gallery on his website. Top class stuff on his website, AFAIC.

I don't see who else might have been confused, but I might have missed something.
Ok, maybe it was just me who was confused
06-02-2011, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I thought the street photography in the article was pretty exceptional and that in my mind gives him some credibility. I've tried to take street photos and it really is very very hard...
My view is: difficulty matters to photographers; results matter to everyone.
It doesn't matter how you got it. Getting it is the thing.
06-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #34
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
+1
The viewer has no clue what it took to get the photo, nor does it concern him/her - the content of the image though is what matters, however way it is obtained.

06-02-2011, 04:45 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point Cwyatt, in the end all that matters is the image...not the circumstances under which it was made.
06-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #36
Inactive Account

If you look on Hardcore Street Photography on flickr - they don't like anything with a telephoto, and it has to be of certain types of subject or they don't like it.

Flickr: HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography)

... there's even a refuseniks group...

Flickr: Deleted from Hardcore Street Photography

Though I think complaining about not being accepted into a group of snobs only serves to strengthen and dignify that group.

You really have to take manifestos, concepts of "authenticity," critiques from peers, and competitions, with a pinch of salt. So much of it is self-serving, and is more to do with group membership, social psychology and plain envy (see the film "Amadeus") than actual truth.

Just think - how many Oscar winning films do you watch on a regular basis, and how many of them are actually remembered, in comparison with other films of their time?

You just need to stick to your vision, your way, and try to find your audience.
06-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by midori Quote
You just need to stick to your vision, your way, and try to find your audience.
Indeed. It helps also if you are happy with a small audience and have no interest in courting fame or any other false idols society presents us with.

06-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
Pentaxian

This is true. Photography isn't the same as Olympic diving. Degree of difficulty doesn't figure into the final score.
06-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

This is true. I have grab shots that were much better than painstakingly set up tripod shots.

However I do find the shots that I spent time over to be more personally satisfying and therefore more enjoyable, even though ultimately for viewers of the photos it's the result that matter. I also tend to learn more when I've been very deliberate...
06-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
It is amazing. But I get the impression he is finding a great landscape/architecture/abstract shot and then hanging around waiting for someone or something to move into it. Different again to the classic street photography thing, although clearly he can do that too.
That certainly is a technique that I use (but less over time). However in the gallery ClassA rather nicely linked, only 6 out of 34 shots are using that technique.
06-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

That certainly is a technique that I use (but less over time). However in the gallery ClassA rather nicely linked, only 6 out of 34 shots are using that technique.
Interesting. And that wasn't meant as a criticism by the way, more of an observation on the different ways of taking street photos.

This is the one I was thinking of:

Camus Wyatt: Photographs | Street I

Some of my favourite street/candid photos have been taken with a telephoto - apparently a big no-no!

06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Yeah that one of mine you linked is both a telephoto and one of those waiting-for-the-right-person shots. To be honest I haven't owned a telephoto now for a while (partly due to cost), but I do subscribe to the wide to standard focal length idea most of the time.

Last edited by CWyatt; 06-07-2011 at 03:33 PM.
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Exactly, and they make me laugh when I see that, every darned time. It's not just photographers though who toot their own horn and attempt to look good by teaching the masses. Photographers have nothing on paranormal people for instance. I watch ghost shows for fun? Nearly every darned time someone mentions the word "psychic" it's usually got "world-renowned" or "famous" beside it even if I've never heard of the person. ;P

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
People who write manifestos like that are mainly trying to place themselves above the rest of us mere mortals...
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Exactly, and they make me laugh when I see that, every darned time. It's not just photographers though who toot their own horn and attempt to look good by teaching the masses. Photographers have nothing on paranormal people for instance. I watch ghost shows for fun? Nearly every darned time someone mentions the word "psychic" it's usually got "world-renowned" or "famous" beside it even if I've never heard of the person. ;P
Don't mix the two worlds either, my ex wife decided one day that she wanted to photograph ghosts, and sayd that orbs in phoots were spirits (look like flash lit dust spots to me!) Oh How I laughed, she didn't see the funny side!

Anyone else think that was like reading something from a wannabe Ken Rockwell?
06-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
my ex wife decided one day that she wanted to photograph ghosts, and sayd that orbs in phoots were spirits (look like flash lit dust spots to me!) Oh How I laughed, she didn't see the funny side!
Is that why she's now your ex?

Hay, I've photographed ghosts too! And UFO's (flying, and crashed, and beaming victims skyward), sasquatches, aquatic monsters, alien tracks, chemtrails, etc, and I hardly even had to cheat! But that's not street photography. Some street characters are even worse.