Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anyone use Picasaweb?

I've been using Flickr for a few years now, but Picasaweb has gotten me a little curious lately. I never thought of the service as a social one, but photos seem to be half decent to find, and the commenting system seems to be there, so I guess the site has potential - but defiantly not as user friendly as Flickr I think. Does anyone use it professionally or socially or for any other reason?

Don't recommend Smugmug or Zenfolio either, we all know they're good websites :P

05-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it personally and professionally

I use picasa to organize and quickly view files and to upload finished pieces to my picasaweb storage site.

I use Adobe bridge to actually find the images when I am working on them since its easy to do batch edits of images or filenames

If requested, I make the folders from shoots private and send only the subject the link. Then no one but him/her and I can view them. If you batch edit the filenames as a sequence of numbers, you can make it easy on the viewer to choose which images they like or want to order by simply writing the file number down.

The site also makes slideshows easy and embeddable. You can embed a nice slideshow in your preexisting website.

One thing I like about picasaweb is that it isn't as social as flickr. Honestly, all those stupid clubs and fake award things all over the comments just pisses me off. Picasa has commenting and it works just fine. It has an explore tab which features a few great shots a month (I had one featured once, now my image has 230,196 hits).

Its actually very easy to use, maybe moreso than flickr

Hope this helps
06-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like Picasa. I do all my photo processing elsewhere, but Picasa is great for viewing and sharing photos and it has a groovy screen-saver too (I have it cycle through my "starred" photos). And you have complete control over folder structure (still haven't figured that out in LR3--I don't want LR creating folders for me--just put the damn pictures where I tell you to!).

I'm with enoeske on the social stuff--too damn facebooky.
06-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I use it personally and professionally

I use picasa to organize and quickly view files and to upload finished pieces to my picasaweb storage site.

I use Adobe bridge to actually find the images when I am working on them since its easy to do batch edits of images or filenames

If requested, I make the folders from shoots private and send only the subject the link. Then no one but him/her and I can view them. If you batch edit the filenames as a sequence of numbers, you can make it easy on the viewer to choose which images they like or want to order by simply writing the file number down.

The site also makes slideshows easy and embeddable. You can embed a nice slideshow in your preexisting website.

One thing I like about picasaweb is that it isn't as social as flickr. Honestly, all those stupid clubs and fake award things all over the comments just pisses me off. Picasa has commenting and it works just fine. It has an explore tab which features a few great shots a month (I had one featured once, now my image has 230,196 hits).

Its actually very easy to use, maybe moreso than flickr

Hope this helps
the slideshows i don't like too much, not customizable at all - but i'm sure there's ways to do that, just haven't looked into it yet.

you don't like the animated gif's of rainbows and glittery unicorns?! how dare you! lol

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I really like Picasa. I do all my photo processing elsewhere, but Picasa is great for viewing and sharing photos and it has a groovy screen-saver too (I have it cycle through my "starred" photos). And you have complete control over folder structure (still haven't figured that out in LR3--I don't want LR creating folders for me--just put the damn pictures where I tell you to!).

I'm with enoeske on the social stuff--too damn facebooky.
i asked about Picasaweb, not Picasa - their desktop software :P I'm asking more of their photo sharing service. the thing about having it social, is you lots of way to share your photos and have them viewed by people who probably wouldn't have seen them otherwise. picasa i'm not sure it's as easy as in flickr. i've had people from publications and websites ask to use my photos from flickr, i'll wait and see if i get that from picasa as well - but i'm doubtful.

the major things i'm not liking of picasaweb so far, and comparing mostly to things i see on flickr that i don't see on picasa.
  • there's no batch tagging.
  • no groups to put photos in to get them "out there".
  • no photo details when viewing thumbnails. i'd like to see # of comments and views inside the album page.
  • the way to contact other users is by email. not sure i want everyone to know my email address. personal messaging would be nice.

off topic. i let my flickr pro account expire, and only 200 photos are viewable now. i thought it'd be only 200 viewable in my stream, not that the rest would just disappear.

Last edited by pete_pf; 06-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.
06-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used it for a few years. I don't think there is much social networking going on in Picasa but I have used mainly to upload photos I want to share with friends such as 4 years of my daughters crew team races, motorcycle runs, softball games, etc. The free storage is 2gb which isn't much unless you downsize your shots. I think I pay $5 for an extra 20gb. I'm not a professional but I have sold some stuff from time to time. The motorcycle race and car show shots I put on Picasa are downsized quite a bit but I have sold some prints from them to people who have contacted me.
06-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have used it for a few years. I don't think there is much social networking going on in Picasa but I have used mainly to upload photos I want to share with friends such as 4 years of my daughters crew team races, motorcycle runs, softball games, etc. The free storage is 2gb which isn't much unless you downsize your shots. I think I pay $5 for an extra 20gb. I'm not a professional but I have sold some stuff from time to time. The motorcycle race and car show shots I put on Picasa are downsized quite a bit but I have sold some prints from them to people who have contacted me.
i think it's 1gb, 2gb for gmail. to me 1gb is more than plenty anyways, i downsize my images to about 100kb anyways maybe picasa not being too social is one reason it hasn't really blown up the way it could.
06-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've used if for about 4 years now. I found it easier and more friendly than Flickr. To me the social aspects are not important. It's great for sharing photos with friends and family.
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I like it but think that the sharing is not as easy as it could/should be. A great service.

06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
anyone know if the slideshow can be customized? or if any services out there let you create slideshows pulling the images off picasa?

Last edited by pete_pf; 06-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.
06-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mounting Debt Quote
I like it but think that the sharing is not as easy as it could/should be. A great service.
How so? There is a button for sharing whole folders or individual pictures and you can define embedded or not, with a visible link to the folder or not as well as the size of the image.

From picasaweb, I just clicked on a folder, and pressed share album. It gives 2 options, link/email or html/embedded. Choosing "link" gives me this, instantly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/enoeske/InsectPortfolio?feat=directlink
06-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
anyone know if the slideshow can be customized? or if anything services out there let you create slideshows pulling the images off picasa?
What do you want to customize?

Here's a large embedded one:

https://picasaweb.google.com/enoeske/Portfolio#slideshow/5433285220305597634
06-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
What do you want to customize?

Here's a large embedded one:

https://picasaweb.google.com/enoeske/Portfolio#slideshow/5433285220305597634
just the look and feel of the slideshow. i want to put it on my website, but just not diggin the colors and whatnot. sucks there's no fullscreen button either, seems many have complaining and still no progress on that
06-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm quite antisocial, and I like it.
06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

YOu can bulk tag photos in picasa. The tags stay on when you put it on picasaweb.

I use picasa - flickr makes me hyperventilate when I try to use it. I hate the navigation and everything else.
06-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
YOu can bulk tag photos in picasa. The tags stay on when you put it on picasaweb.

I use picasa - flickr makes me hyperventilate when I try to use it. I hate the navigation and everything else.
no batch tagging on picasaweb, maybe their desktop program, but not on the website.