Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo storefront site that allows control over aspect ratio

I'm an amateur photographer who attends a lot of sporting events and performances for my daughters and nieces and nephews, and I've been thinking about making some of my photos available for purchase to other parents, etc in order to help pay for some of my gear.

I tried a couple photo storefront sites in the past, but one thing I didn't like about them is that they allowed the shopper to select basically any size or aspect ratio for printing. When I am developing my RAW files, I usually crop for different aspect ratios. If it's just an average photo, or if it has problems with noise, focus, or blur that would only be evident at larger print sizes, then I usually only crop it for 4"x6" prints (3:2). If it's something more special, then in addition to the 4"x6", I'll crop for 5"x7" and 8"x10" as well, so that I end up with three separate files for the same shot.

I would like to find a photo site that allows me to determine which sizes and/or aspect ratios are available for each picture. I put a lot of work into making sure my photos are just right, and I would hate to have them arbitrarily cropped in order to fit another size.

So does anybody know of a photo selling site that allows the photographer to put restrictions on aspect ratios? I tried a search, but it's difficult to research this question without getting mostly unrelated results.

Thanks!

06-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Photo Prints at deviantART.com allows you to specify sizes for each work (ie 8x10 and 5x7) but not arbitrary sizes (ie. you can't have a 22x9 3/4 or something weird like that.) If your photo's aspect ratio doesn't fit one of the existing sizes, you can specify if/how it's cropped, or if a border should be added to fill the frame.