Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I fully understand the concept of strobist flash as shutter. Done it myself. Cactus triggers.

So did this guy:

Strobist Golf | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Note the problem of triggering and he *still* cannot get a crisp shot with a laser device.

The OP just wants to attempt with a K-x.

This guy did it just recently, if you can live with blur:

Golf Ball Impact | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Golf Ball Impact | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Many amateur photographers have captured quite by accident the "wrapping" impact of a softball on a bat under natural light, usually from a distance. Or the moment after impact as the ball leaves the bat. If you slow the golf club swing down to that approximate speed and burst shoot you might get something similar with a golf club at a well-lit driving range maybe with some enhanced lighting to get the SS up. Can't avoid blur. Will take a lot of attempts. I'd use a 5-iron.

A custom trigger might work but you'd almost have to swing in the dark and have a separate trigger for the shutter from the flash due to shutter lag. If the contacts are on the ball itself and on the club head it's a race between the ball's release and the strobe. I suspect it's far more difficult than suggested because if it was easy, Flickr would be loaded with homemade attempts, and it's not. Golf club head speed and swing variability are very challenging. Video is simply how it is done now and the K-x does video and the OP has an LED light.

I don't think Bobby Jones was actually hitting a ball on that swing.

06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #32

Original Poster
Well, I'm just an amateur and don't have a lot of experience with flashes and photocells and other technical pieces so it was just me and the camera today.

Attempt #1 failed but I did learn a few things. Being on borrowed time with my 9 year old son (attempt lasted as long as his patience held out), I took quite a few shots but did not get the one I wanted. However, as stated by others earlier, using a HI fps is not the way to go. With the K-x, the shot was either too early or too late and of all the attempts, only 1 got the club head in the picture - it was an inch away - ughh. I have attached that picture. The good news is that with my son's swing speed, it did freeze the clubhead and you would think the clubhead was not in motion but it actually is so I liked that part of the experiment. What I don't know is if his clubhead speed will compress a range ball if I can time it right next time.

I took other shots from a distance using a single exposure and had better success than the multitude of balls using hi fps. So, next time, I'll gear up if I can find a driving range fanatic who has the patience and try to time it just right with single exposure. If anyone else wants to try, I'd love to see the result!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo   
06-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 9 year-old swinging a Big Bertha (or clone)! I wish I had one of those when I was that age and Dad dragged me around the course. 'Course it got me a single digit handicap...eventually, when I learned this thing called patience.

That 2nd shot almost got it. He's probably swinging at least 50mph and he's getting his should down to really drive it. Nice eye on the ball all the way.

The K-x does video. Maybe your kid will will like himself on YouTube murdering a Titleist!

Good luck. Thanks for sharing.
10-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you ever get the shot?

10-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

If it's a staged shot, who says the club has to be moving at full speed? Especially if it's a close up shot.
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I was thinking the same thing, but then how would you get that nice squashed golf ball on impact look?
10-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #37

Original Poster
I didn't get the shot and now my K-x is down for the count being repaired for a phantom issue that requires a new circuit board and the parts are on about a 2 month backorder. Would love to see other's results.