Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on professional photography

I've been pondering a bit about what shooting professionally would be like, and I've found that the idea of being "a photographer" doesn't really sit well with me. I think it's partly because I enjoy just going out by myself or with other friends where we're all taking pictures, and being able to take my time, and just shoot as I see stuff. The thought of a high-pressure environment seems like it would take a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me. Granted, I'm still pretty new to photography in general, and I have tons more to learn, but I just don't really like the idea of being "the photographer". Any pros out there care to share their experiences with this kind of thinking?

06-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a pro here, but have earned some income from the vocation. The thinking, attitude and frame of mind changed for me as soon as I began providing a service for a fee. Free or unsolicited work has no innate pressure implied and thus, you are free to experiment for yourself.

Learning and experience are the biggest tasks for any budding photographer, and this phase is where it occurs. Learning should also be complemented with professional training in the vocation, particularly if you're considering a career in it, whether outdoors or in the studio.

I have some experience, and the confidence certainly builds after the first few paid assignments. But each has its own challenges, and its being prepared for those in advance that helps most. Others more experienced than I can share more on this.
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

For most photographers working for themselves, the actual photography and time spent behind the camera is only a part (and a relatively small part) of being a pro photographer.

For the most part, the majority of the work is business mangement and development work i.e getting out there and selling yourself, promotional work, chasing up clients and the like - not to mention the other stuff like keeping track of accounts, taxes, invoices, insurance ......etc.

Once got yourself some paying clients there's customer relations to build and maintain.

A lot of commercial, good paying work isn't the type where you're "just going out by myself or with other friends where we're all taking pictures, and being able to take my time, and just shoot as I see stuff". Some photographers make a living from art, prints, landscapes and the likes - but the majority of paying work is things like weddings, stock, portraits, commercial/product shooting and generally stuff where you'll be on the clock and working to produce what the customer wants.

I know a lot of very good photographers who aren't pros for this very reason - and I also know a few pros who no longer enjoy photography and never shoot any of their own stuff anymore, they just shoot during work hours for clients. I also know quite a few pros who's technical skills and abilities are average at best .... but they've got the personality to get out there and make people want to hire them.

I've been a semi-pro for some time now and came to the realisation a while back that being a full-time pro just isn't going to happen for me unless I'm prepared to take on a lot of work that doesn't interest me ... then my long time hobby and passion will become "just a job" and I don't want that.
06-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
I've been a semi-pro for some time now and came to the realisation a while back that being a full-time pro just isn't going to happen for me unless I'm prepared to take on a lot of work that doesn't interest me ... then my long time hobby and passion will become "just a job" and I don't want that
This is a sobering truth about the *business* of photography, as opposed to the enjoyable art of photography. Very different but essential components of any pro's career. I'm with Warped on that one - I'd never want to give up my joy of photography. Some guys can enjoy the whole package, but I don't think I would. And anyway, I love my current profession too much.

06-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
I've been pondering a bit about what shooting professionally would be like, and I've found that the idea of being "a photographer" doesn't really sit well with me. I think it's partly because I enjoy just going out by myself or with other friends where we're all taking pictures, and being able to take my time, and just shoot as I see stuff. The thought of a high-pressure environment seems like it would take a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.
I'm not a professional still photographer, but I do shoot video for a living. You're right that going pro can take a lot of the joy out of the hobby. I got into tv because of my love of cameras and everything associated with them. And while I love my job, there was a very long time when I had trouble going out and shooting still pics "just for me". I was so used to doing things on assignment that when I'd get out and try to do still photography just for fun, I couldn't see the value in shooting all the things I used to love shooting. My attitude was very much, "Meh....who cares? Who'd buy a picture of that?" It took a few years of trying and soul searching before I was okay with answering the question "Who cares?" with "I care!" and was able to get back to shooting just for the fun of it.
06-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses guys, you made some good points.

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
I've been a semi-pro for some time now and came to the realisation a while back that being a full-time pro just isn't going to happen for me unless I'm prepared to take on a lot of work that doesn't interest me ... then my long time hobby and passion will become "just a job" and I don't want that.
This is pretty much what I was imagining would happen, and you're right, I wouldn't want photography to become just a thing that pays the bills - put in my time, get my money. I mean at first it sounds great, but like you said, there's so much extra work involved that's not strictly related to taking pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It took a few years of trying and soul searching before I was okay with answering the question "Who cares?" with "I care!" and was able to get back to shooting just for the fun of it.
That's great that you've been able to get back to shooting for yourself! Do you find it difficult to switch frames-of-mind going from work to "play"?
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
That's great that you've been able to get back to shooting for yourself! Do you find it difficult to switch frames-of-mind going from work to "play"?
These days, I don't. But I think a lot of that had to do with switching over to digital photography. Instead of feeling a need to make every frame count, as in film photography...digital has allowed me to be a lot more frivolous with what I shoot. I can indulge myself and not feel guilty about the money spent on each frame.

06-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ah, this topic again. Long ago, photography was my job. Before and since, it's just been my obsession. NOT having to meets others' demands is terribly liberating. And as I've mentioned, I read that in USA the average fast-food manager has a higher income than the average working photographer. So, go to McFood U, run a burger joint for money, and shoot for fun. Shoot your customers -- they'll be a motley lot. (My sister the commercial artist used to sell NYC subway tokens and used the buyers as models for her surrealistic graphic arts and sculpture.)
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
...I read that in USA the average fast-food manager has a higher income than the average working photographer.
I like to joke that video is the same as photography, except it has motion...and paid vacations...and sick leave....and retirement benefits..
06-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the interesting thread.

Here's a tip for those that don't want to go pro, but want to do more than they are currently. A friend from a photo club invited me to work with him taking promo pictures, program head shots, and help decorate a lobby wall of a live play theatre.

Its volunteer work but they pay for the printing. I've always wanted to photograph more people, and this has forced me to just go out and do it. Its been a great learning experience. Now i'm the official "photography coordinator" which means that when they need someone, they call me and i arrange it/or do it myself. The paid manager for the theatre really appreciates having photographs taken. They don't do much video because its hard getting the approvals.

So anyone that wants to get involved in live theatre, knock on the door of your local playhouse and offer your services - i suspect they will greet you with open arms.

Apparently, only 1% of the population attends live theatre and its mostly the older gray-haired folks like me. Its an art form that i hope doesn't disappear from our communities. Our theatre is offering tickets that are 66% off for anyone 30 years and younger that will attend, to get them into the habit.
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Funny. I have regular paid gig shooting theatre for a local arts foundation. Actually, it started out paid, then went unpaid when the recession hit but I shot for them anyway because I enjoyed it. This year the center is doing better and I've been paid for each production I've shot. The pay hasn't been a lot but it's paid for a lens and my work gets spread around, so free publicity for me, plus I sell some of the images again via my SmugMug site.

I don't consider it work at all because I'm entertained with a show while shooting. Well the editing of the shoot (which I'm doing now for a show I just shot a couple days ago) can be somewhat tedious.
06-03-2011, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Q: What's the difference between a full-time photographer and a pizza?

A: The pizza can feed a family of four.

But seriously, I have been doing photography professionally for 6 years now. Everyone warned me it would take the joy out of photography. You don't see many full-time pros knocking off work and going and shooting for themselves, but I do. Better yet, I am often shooting for myself when I am shooting for clients. Not always, but often. I love being a photographer, and if anything, doing it professionally has enhanced my joy of it personally, and also driven me to get better, and expand my mind photographically.

However, I barely make enough money to get by. I supplement my income with web design, graphic design, consulting, and tutoring in photography. Little bits of things here and there. For a while I was working in my old job (biochemistry lab) for up to 20 hours per week. It works for me, though, and I'm very happy despite being financially stressed now and then.
06-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I guess it depends a lot on what means to be a "pro", right?

For instance, my uncle and a cousin make a living shooting weddings and events. I have a friend who shoots for the local newspaper. Other people only shoot models inside a studio. And I know a guy who quit his day job and every 3 months travels around the world taking photos and selling to an agency.

The only thing in common is the fact they all use a camera, but it's a completely different set of challenges, income and lifestyles for each one of them.
06-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've done a few social events as 'second shooter' and it's a great learning experience, especially when the pro goes out of his way to teach you. However I can see the pressure he is under to get the shots he's being paid for.

He asked me if I'd like to go in with him as a minority partner - shooting more events and paid sittings etc., .... but it's not for me. A paid event now and then as second shooter is fine and pays for some lenses, it's fun and I get to learn techniques I may not otherwise have learnt.

If you want to develop a part time income to help pay for your hobby then you can always try to sell shots on-line, offer your services to pros as a second shooter, or assistant, for a low fee to make their lives easier, sell shots of events they were not planning to cover to your local paper for a few dollars, and generally just use your imagination to see who may want to give you a few dollars for a few hours work. This way you get to choose how much you do and how much it impacts on your life .... without detracting from your love or desire to get out and shoot for yourself.