Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Shooting weddings?

I've been reading a little bit on shooting weddings because my friend asked me to shoot his but I'm still rather unfamiliar with it. Worse still is that I don't know how western weddings really proceed.

Any advice/suggestions? =D

06-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
fey

I don't know much myself but my uncle does, he says it's the most stressful thing he has ever done.
06-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Stress .... YES!

QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
I don't know much myself but my uncle does, he says it's the most stressful thing he has ever done.
I'd agree, that's why I don't shoot them any more. Life's to damned short to have to deal with that environment.
Funny thing though, there are those who actually enjoy doing weddings.
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I'd agree, that's why I don't shoot them any more. Life's to damned short to have to deal with that environment.
Funny thing though, there are those who actually enjoy doing weddings.
Not me, the pressure of getting everything right ate right trough me and I was done for almost before the end of ceremony...

06-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
I just found out that the groom jumped and stepped on a champagne glass, bled a great deal, had to go to the emergency room and take tetanus shots and whatnot and is now going to have to wear funny shoes to the wedding.

Oh what fun.
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You have to enjoy this to do it for long. I know some photographers who absolutely love it, and it shows in their work. It's also good money. My first photography job was a wedding. It stressed me out to no end....lost sleep before it, was a nervous wreck the day of, etc.

Of course, I was that way for any of my early paid sessions. So I decided to keep shooting weddings for a while and see how it went. Over time, I became a lot more relaxed about most of my sessions, and got to the point that I didn't have to think or plan or worry at all in advance. That never happened with weddings. The stress level just stayed high. Stress before, an exhausting day during, and tons of work after. I finally gave them up. I actually have one more on the books, in August, then I am done, and will be soooo happy.
06-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hmm. Any suggestions as to what to shoot/look for?

I'm trying not to panic too much but it's not too easy haha.

06-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
You have to enjoy this to do it for long. I know some photographers who absolutely love it, and it shows in their work. It's also good money. My first photography job was a wedding. It stressed me out to no end....lost sleep before it, was a nervous wreck the day of, etc.

Of course, I was that way for any of my early paid sessions. So I decided to keep shooting weddings for a while and see how it went. Over time, I became a lot more relaxed about most of my sessions, and got to the point that I didn't have to think or plan or worry at all in advance. That never happened with weddings. The stress level just stayed high. Stress before, an exhausting day during, and tons of work after. I finally gave them up. I actually have one more on the books, in August, then I am done, and will be soooo happy.
seems it is more a matter of psychological stuff.
06-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #9

It's an Attitude Thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
seems it is more a matter of psychological stuff.
Psychological ....... maybe. The stress from the shoot never really got to me. Hell, I spent a year as a Combat Photographer, so stress was never an issue.
I think in retrospect, it was having to deal w/Brides, Grooms, Mothers of the Bride, etc. that got to me. Seemed as though they had no idea what was going on, but they kept telling me, "OH be sure and get a picture of this, that, or the other".
I guess frustration better describes why I don't shoot weddings.
06-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There's definitely a psychological component, and it's also partially an attitude thing.

But like hillerby said, there can be more issues at a wedding, with potential expectations from many parties. I once showed up at noon to shoot 1pm formals for a 4:00pm wedding. The entire wedding party was already ripped. Parents, too, LOL. Then when we went to the pre-approved outdoor location for shots, some of the bridesmaids were all annoyed and whiny that I wanted them to walk through some prairie grass. This was all approved in advance, mind you.

Some people are really easy-going and good at dealing with obnoxious and whiny people. I'm not. Well, on the surface my patience has never broke in these cases, but it was on the verge, and I wanted to quite before I would up getting sued for lodging an SB-800 in someone's rectum.

A wedding is also a big deal for a lot of people; an important day. Most of them have no idea they'll be slogging through a bitter and painful divorce within a few years. LOL. Anyway, it's important, and there are no re-dos, so that adds to the psychology of stress.

Eventually I decided I didn't want to do them, but instead of formally quitting, I kept raising my price, thinking there was some level at which people would quit booking, and some level at which I would say it was worth it. I didn't reach either. After someone booked when I offhandedly quoted them $4000, and I still thought I was dealing with too much for that money, I just quit. Last year someone offered me $8000 for an all day wedding and I turned it down with no hesitation.
06-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

It's difficult. And it's stressful. Here's my favorite artists. You can get some ideas from their sites. They have amazing work.

Raleigh North Carolina wedding photographer Jim Colman
Sassani Photography - Houston & Austin based Wedding Photographer
J W L Photography
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What you need to do is make a lot of lists. Lists of the equipment that you need, lists of photos that you want/need to get. Looking at your list of equipment, I would think about getting an external flash (don't see one there), maybe a Metz 48. Wheatfield gives a nice run down on big categories that weddings fall into here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/professional-photography-publications/125...ml#post1300894.
06-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
List of equipment, absolutely yes. Lots of lists of photos - not necessarily. It depends on your shooting style and what the bride wants.

I'm one of those that loves to photograph weddings. I think what helps me a lot (other than my easy-going attitude), is the fact that I'm there as a wedding photojournalist, not to play puppet photo-master. My clients know this so they know what to expect from me. This really takes away some of the typical stress as you try to corral people who'd rather party than stand there for portraits or who show up to formals with beers in hand and a few more in the blood-stream :-)~
06-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well, I got back from the wedding alive and in one piece.

I was so ridiculously unprepared, all the mental preparation beforehand pretty much went out the window once I got there. Ended up running here and there and there were some "key moments" that I can't believe I missed. Damn.

Intense is an understatement.

I think they'll still be happy with the shots I have for them, but I expected better of myself. Or at least I hope they'll still be happy with what I have. I'll probably post a few here for critique once I have the time to sit down and go through them.

Thank the heavens I'm not doing this as my job, my stress level would probably just blow. But, but, it was actually really fun.
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Post up some samples once you've had a chance to process them.