Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
out of focus pictures in low light shots

I was taking pictures at my daughters graduation ceremony indoors this weekend. Using K-7 with DA 55-300 lens, so that I could try and get some close up shots.

When nobody was moving around too fast the pictures came out half way decent. But, when I was trying to get shots of the graduate walking across the stage(lens set at 300 mm) the shots all came out very blurry. Is this because the lens is rather slow at this focal length or do I just need more practice leading the subject?

Would I have had better results with the camera in movie mode and then making single frames from the video? I did this during a thunder storm recently with pretty good results.

06-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Will, can you post a couple of the pics with EXIF data so folk here can try and analyse the problem?
06-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willwalker Quote
When nobody was moving around too fast the pictures came out half way decent. But, when I was trying to get shots of the graduate walking across the stage(lens set at 300 mm) the shots all came out very blurry. Is this because the lens is rather slow at this focal length or do I just need more practice leading the subject?
A slow shutter and aperture, coupled with a low ISO, guarantees blurry shots. You need to use TAv mode with the shutter fast enough and the aperture wide enough, and let ISO float to your comfortable limit. High-ISO noise can be fixed in PP; blurry shots can't.
06-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I think that the lens is too slow. You need either additonal lighting (eg flash) to use a faster shutter speed, or a faster lens with larger apeture (f2.8 or better f1.8).

I have a K-7 and shot a few indoor school events last year in the hall. During day time, I was able to get some decent shots with a f2.8 lens, but in the evening I needed to use a faster lens (f1.8 or better f1.4).

Simply the kit lenses are not fast enough with the K-7.

Last edited by hcc; 06-05-2011 at 11:06 PM.
06-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In general, keep shutter speed faster than 1/(focal length in mm) and you should get sharper images.
06-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's not motion blur, it's also possible that they moved out of the focal plane by the time focus locked and the shutter was triggered. This is particularly true in low light when you're shooting with a fast lens wide open.

Just last night I was trying to get some pictures by street lamp on my K-5, and I ended up using Live View in order to get my images sharp. The subject wasn't moving fortunately...
06-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Hi Will, can you post a couple of the pics with EXIF data so folk here can try and analyse the problem?
Will do, but it won't be for a couple of days. Have to work. Thanks in advance for assistance/advice.

06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Pictures of Graduation

Here are the pictures to go along with this thread, but I think your replys have already answered my questions. Thanks to all for your assistance.
Attached Images

06-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is not out of focus this is because your speed is too slow. I presume this as we have no Exif Data
06-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
Slow shutter speed

Guess shutter speed is pretty slow on these photos! Thanks for pointing this out.

exif files attached for three of the shots.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MGrad1_exif.txt (726 Bytes, 287 views)
File Type: txt MGrad2_exif.txt (731 Bytes, 342 views)
File Type: txt MGrad3_exif.txt (730 Bytes, 295 views)
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Seems to have been pretty dark. ISO800 is very limiting too, even with a K-7 though you should push the ISO up to at least 1600. Even then your shutter speeds would still be too slow, even ISO3200 would have given you only ~1/60 which at 300mm is dicey to say the least. A monopod would have helped with shake, but not subject movement.

So then it's a new lens for f2.8 (eg 70-200 f2.8) or a new body for ISO6400 (K-r or better, K-5) or both if you want better pics in such a situation again.
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The out of focus is mostly smear from the camera and subjects moving during the exposures (mostly the camera).

Practice in panning would help as would going to ISO 3200. Another thing that could help a lot is finding strategies to brace the camera - like get a walking stick to use as a stealth monopod.