Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advertising?

I've got a problem. It goes like this:
I want to drum up some more photography business (after all, I figure that since I've got thousands of $$ into my equipment I should make some money with it) but I'm scared to advertise. Well, not scared, but maybe lacking something... I think, "what if I'm not able to perform to someone's desires on a shoot?" Or what if... You know how that goes. Am I the only one that has this problem? I've thought about running an ad in the local paper, but then I don't know what exactly I'd even put in there.

How can I get over this?

06-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
If you have friends see if they are doing something and offer to take some pictures for them. Then have them tell two friends and so on and so on.

Make sure you can do what you say you can do within reason. Put it in the agreement that if you cant you dont get compensated for it or get compensated for what you can do.

Just be honest and up front with what they can expect. Soon you (should?) will be comfortable with what you shoudl put in an advert. An advert is (IMO) just a starting point to the whole package.

Hope this helps.
06-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like you should start small a build up a bit of a work portfolio. Aknot - has good points. Don't over promise and be honest. About advertising, in general I'd suggest that you think of 3 or 4 things that you want people to know about you and your 'service.' Condense each of these down to short paragraphs. That could be the starting point for ad copy. Somehow that has to translate to something that moves someone else to want to use you.
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The answer, IMO, is a good web site, with proper SEO. First, print advertising is next to worthless. So no worries there, because you probably won't even get a response, LOL.

Second, if you show plenty of your work on your site, people will know what they can expect from you. Put stuff on your site that you are comfortable doing, and confident of reproducing. If someone sees it, and wants to pay you for similar work, then they ought to be happy, right?

06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See, I live in a small community of 2500~ people. There is only one other photographer that people know about (she operates a small home studio), but quite a few people have tried her and have not been satisfied. My main problem is getting my name out there. I mean, I shoot all the parks dept. sports and stuff like that, but in general, people just don't know I exist (photographically wise).
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate, you're in a good position to gain your community's trust and confidence, but you'll need to foster that with your results. Performance anxiety is normal to a point, but in the end you do need to deliver what the client is after. If you don't feel you're at that point yet, it would behoove you to build your skills and confidence in the fields you wish to pursue. A portfolio is a great way to do that. Then publish yourself online, and run a few ads in the local paper. Market yourself regularly online and with signs, posters, and the like for your community to know you exist. Cover the demographic by knowing their needs and how they get to know of businesses in the area.

All the best in that.
06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

A good friend of mine has a small photography business and he has expanded immensely as a result of his social media usage. He uses twitter to frequently show off some of his work and people often retweet his pictures.

06-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pWood Quote
A good friend of mine has a small photography business and he has expanded immensely as a result of his social media usage. He uses twitter to frequently show off some of his work and people often retweet his pictures.
I've been considering this. I'm not the sort of person who is on Facebook (twitter, etc), but it seems like that is one way to rack up business and let people know about you.