Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
best FREE photo hosting web service?

Hi everyone

I know there are going to be lots of opinions on this, but which is the best free photo hosting service?
I have been using Piczo and putting photos all over the free website they give you, so I can link it back to this forum.
The thing is, the quality sucks! even when I crank up the resolution, the end result sucks.

any opinons, please

PS need to crank it up a bit with some test shots from the k10

thanks

cheers

randy

12-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am interested in the same question . . . what is the best site for photo hosting. However, not sure that "free" is the best . . . I have looked at Zoto, etc. and they only cost about 25$ per year . . . may not be "free" but pretty close. Hope that there are some good responses.
12-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Try photobucket. I use it for hosting and it seems to work very well. However I would recommend using a resizing program like Pixresizer to re size your photo s first and get them the way you want them befor uploading to any hosting site.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You know the saying "you get what you pay for", sometime free is not worth it . Really though, for free sites I started buy using photochimps.com it is free and you can upload you pictures to post here and there. But why not just post to the gallery here if you are goiung to do that? I started using ImageEvent- Share photos, videos, documents online. Create albums. Image hosting. Order prints. last year not free only $20 something dollars a year but unlimited size up to 1500 images and then if you want you can add to that for a few buck. I am almost at my 1500 image limit. It is easy and you can upload video there to, I have never tried it but it says you can.

Good luck. I keep saying I am going to make myself my own website one of these days but these seem pretty easy.

Just remebered I also use Photoreflect.com as well, this one is free to set up and you make your own little photo site business. Meaning you can post pictures there for people to view and actually buy from you. The site gets about 18% of the sale then you have to process but it is working for me with a few small events I have done. Makes life alot easier, exspecialy when you have your camera somewhere and everyone says oh I want to buy one of those shots. You give them a card to the website and away you go.

I am not useing that site to it's best ability I am sure but you can check it out mine if you want.
Redirect Page

12-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Try photobucket. I use it for hosting and it seems to work very well. However I would recommend using a resizing program like Pixresizer to re size your photo s first and get them the way you want them befor uploading to any hosting site.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
Thanks

I resize in photoshop, and no matter what size I make it, it comes back linked to a set size when I am using piczo. I am thinking they are limiting it or something.

thanks

randy
12-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Use ImageShack® - Hosting for singles if you don't want to make an album. Fast and free.

Or, you can continue filling up the gallery here

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
Rak
Inactive Account

I haven't tried any free services, but I've heard about Picasa Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com. You'll need a Google account to log in, though (which is also free). I don't know many of the details, but it's from Google, meaning it's worth checking out.

12-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like Flickr - while a bit clunky and slow, there is a tremendous community aspect to it - for example there would be a group in your home town to link up with (real people, rather than us out here in virtual land!)
12-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rak Quote
-snip-
I don't know many of the details, but it's from Google, meaning it's worth checking out.
I interpret that as it is worth to check out the agreement you make with Gooooolag when signing up there. Giving away your pictures to them is nothing I care much for.
12-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Jonas stole my answer. I looked at Picasa but when I saw that Google reserved the right to use my photos in their marketing I dropped them straight away. I found Photobucket and 1 Gig for free or $25 for 5 Gig is not bad.

Cheers

Eddie
12-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I interpret that as it is worth to check out the agreement you make with Gooooolag when signing up there. Giving away your pictures to them is nothing I care much for.
does filckr do this? if so, i'd have to delete my account!
12-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use, but not necessarily recommend, fotopic.net. It's fine for what I want.