Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
exposure for couples question

Not sure if this is the right forum, [admin please move if wrong]

I have been asked to take some images of a couple out side in what, weather depending, could be bright sunlight or if I can find some, shade on bright day.

My worry is that the couple are a white guy and a Zimbabwean girl.

This might be a really stupid question but do I have to worry about the different skin colours and reflections from the skin from a exposure point of view?

I have taken images before of African decent and Indian girls and there is a tendency for a best described as sort of sheen on the skin that requires a bit of make up to remove and I have had that with European models as well but the model normally will fix it if you point it out with a bit of make up application.

Anyway, no more rambling on, any suggestions will be very welcome
thanks

06-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if it would work, but the options that come to mind that I would try would be to try to stay out of strong direct sunlight. Try to find a nice shady spot where the two can stand and you could try to use a reflector to limit shadows or balance the light between your two subjects. If all else fails, maybe a highly diffused flash for some fill light.
If both subjects won't balance well that way, I would be tempted to take two exposures to try to get one good one shot of each subject then try to merged the two shots in PP. You would probably need a tripod for that one.
I've never had this challenge so I'm only guessing...?
Hope one of these ideas help.
06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's the age old wedding shot dilemma, he in a dark suit whilst she is radiant in white dress, which to expose for? With woolly brained film you could expose for each and one somewhere in the middle and pick the best, but the coming of electronics means that you have to be a little more decisive, or rely on further electronics in the form of Photoshop or whatever you have.

It's a nice idea, and quite the correct one, to believe that a good photo starts with the right exposure but such is the symbiotic relationship between camera and computer nowdays that a little or even a lot of post capture editing is inevitable. My suggestion is that you shoot in RAW whilst bracketing and then adjust lighting levels in the computer with particular use of of the shadow/highlight function or similar.

The other consideration is the method of final viewing. The DR of your screen may be quite different to that of your printer so a test print may show the picture better than it appears on the monitor, indeed the whole idea of using a monitor or projector as the final method of presentation is a nonsense especially from the internet but that's a subject for a different thread.
06-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Grey card to set exposure, OR, expose for the dress.

Maybe a polarizer would reduce reflections?

06-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also shoot with your K-r, as it should give you about 1 stop of extra dynamic range, in case you need to make adjustments in PP.

This is one case where (at least in theory, according to DXOMark) the K-5 is the best DSLR on the market. But the K-r is still quite good and you should have some good latitude in PP.
06-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you can try HDR as part of the process. If you do not know about this process, look it up. It takes three different exporuses places them together. Take a look at some of mine pictures using this process. You can get real looking pictures this way. It is lot like dodging and burning in the old dark room days.