Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice needed on Shuttle Launch photography

Hey guys,

as we all know, the space shuttle program is slowly coming to a close. I haven't been able to see a shuttle launch yet and of course, the one I'd like to see is the very last one. I'm sure people are camping there already (launch on July 8th) .

My question is, since I know that i'll have to shoot from quite a distance, should I consider equipping my 55-300 lens with a TC? I cannot afford to buy any fast telephoto lens at the moment. If i'd get a TC, which one would best fit my situation? I know the auto focusing will be a hassle, but I'd rather manual focus anyway. Or should I look into mirror lenses (like a Tammy 500mm)?

I'd appreciate your advices. Any of you planning on being there?

Last edited by agsy; 06-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
06-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could always get a wider view on the scene?

(not mine)
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is true...I was just hoping to get a little closer. That night shot is awesome.
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Even the VIP viewing stands aren't close enough to worry about auto focus
Unless you have a really really long lens, it's infinity. I saw a night launch, but this one is scheduled for midday so lighting will be great. NASA will release better pictures than you will probably get, but if you'r like me, you just have to have your own.

If you can get a KSC tour then you can get a little closer a couple days before launch.

I used an FZ28 point and shoot when I went (35mm equiv of 486mm) so I would suggest a 500mm. With the midday light even a cheap 500 could be useful. Hope you have a great time.

06-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I had an FZ28, it's a great little camera. You are right, I'd love to have my own pics .
I don't know much about tele-converters. Is the Tamron better than Sigma or Pentax? Or is there any other good quality brand I could use?

I'll look into the KSC tour, I hope the tickets are not sold out .
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could always rent a longer lens: CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax Telephoto Lens Rentals
06-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Correcting: I dug up the old photos and it was an FZ20 (got the FZ28 later)
There will be so much atmospheric distortion from most viewing locations that IQ probably won't matter much.

Here's the field of view from the VIP stands with a 350mm equivalent focal length.

NASA has unmanned cameras with a much better view.

Attached Images

Last edited by Rocketvapor; 06-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.
06-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This might help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/87298-get-m...ml#post1010349

You might want to think about renting a big lens. Otherwise you might be better off cropping the good images from your 55-300 rather than use a tc.

And congratulations on your opportunity to see a launch!

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 06-10-2011 at 06:25 PM.
06-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rocketvapor Quote
Correcting: I dug up the old photos and it was an FZ20 (got the FZ28 later) There will so much atmospheric distortion from most viewing locations that IQ probably won't matter much.
Thanks for that, I was wondering about how close would 450 mm get me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
This might help: Get Me To A Shuttle Launch!
Thanks for the link Matt, it is great to read first hand experiences, and also that you had a fantastic time here in Florida .
06-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

For anyone that has not witnessed a shuttle launch, go for it. Anything 10 miles or less from the pad will give you a lifelong memory. At 3 miles from the pad (distance of previous photo) it was deafening

As Matt full knows, plan for the possibility of a one or two day launch window. You can always take an airboat ride to pass the time. Great photo-ops in the area without going into the kiddie parks.

Here's the part of the vehicle I'm most familiar with. This is the one that will fly in July.
(taken with the FZ28)
Attached Images

Last edited by Rocketvapor; 06-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
06-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You might try searching "space shuttle" on the forum. Several threads about photographing a launch, lots of good info.

having seen one and photographed a launch many years ago...I'd say, "just do it". Rent a big lens if you want close ups....yea it'll cost a few bucks, but then again, this is the last chance ever to get these shots. Its one heck of a show....get an even better tripod too!

good luck,
Mark
06-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

Mark,
I agree with the "just do it". I had a great time with my point and shoot. Even with a little better equipment I have now (still not great equipment) I would still go to the trouble to take my own memories. Sort of proof that I was there. The really good photos I've seen were taken with equipment I can't afford. But I still try

NASA has such an advantage for good photos with the cameras around the pad. They look like little aliens or robots .
You can always get copies from the NASA site.

Or sneak under the fence for some closeups.
Attached Images

06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photos of cameras taking photos of the shuttle.

Nice.
06-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

This is a scan of a print from small format film taken in the early 90s. Credit for the shot goes to Tony, the guy I was there with. He gave me a print. What's interesting I was using a 300mm lens with a 2X converter and was expecting a great shot. But he didn't use such a long lens ended up with one 10 times better.

06-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Nice shot there Tuco...I guess bottom line is that you can get some neat shots without having to have a 500mm+ I think I shot my launch photos at 400mm, with a tripod. I was lucky enough to be at the VVIP viewing site, but no matter where you are, the potential to get a great shot exists. The sunlight and vapor trail often interact to give breath taking views....