Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Best site to share photos

Looking for a recommendation for a site to upload and share photos that can be downloaded by friends and families.

06-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

flickr comes to mind.
06-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But unless you buy into the pro account on Flickr you can only upload maximum of 200 photos. Photobucket on the other hand allows loads more. I have at least 400 on bucket and still have more space.
06-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not a troubleshooting question- moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
picasa

picasa which belongs to google provides decent hosting service and a free photo editing program. better than flickr for personal use and for free hosting. just do not expect too much.
06-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use smugmug. One thing I like about it is that I can make password protected albums and share photos with select people if I want.
06-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Be very careful if you use any of the "free" photo hosting sites, and that includes Facebook.
Most of them have a clause in the terms of service like this one taken from picasa's site.

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

Peter

06-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
But unless you buy into the pro account on Flickr you can only upload maximum of 200 photos
A pro account is around $2/month. Hardly prohibitive. If you can afford a DSLR, assorted lenses, and software to PP images you can afford a pro account.
06-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
better than flickr for personal use and for free hosting. just do not expect too much.
???? How can it be better than flickr if one shouldn't expect too much? The logic escapes me.
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

have you guys tried Dropbox?

it's also cool for other things to share or store..
https://www.dropbox.com/tour

it's great for clients and people on the move... like I do, I let bands I shoot have access to their folder and its easy breezy ..
06-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks these will get me started
06-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

X's 2 for smugmug. unlimited uploads, they do not change the resolution of the picture, password protected and you can sell them from a PP account if you wanted to. professional printing right to your door as well.

flickr is really cool but its more of a social media avenue for fun and feedback. just my .02
06-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
A pro account is around $2/month. Hardly prohibitive.
Sure, now I have a pro account but I was offering photobucket if you can't afford the $24.95 price right off the bat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
but its more of a social media avenue for fun and feedback.
There are settings you can make in flickr to keep people from commenting and you can keep your photos private if you want.