Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Overheard an unhappy Nikon customer in Kenmore Camera, Seattle ...

No, i'm not picking on Nikon, but one could hear the lady, i suspect in her 80's, throughout most of the store. This being a Pentax Forum, mostly, i think we sometimes get the idea that only Pentax customers have complaints.

In this case, i think the complaint could have been with any digital brand.

She was saying things like:

QuoteQuote:
I've been shooting with medium and large format, sheets of film, my whole life and was getting sharp pictures. Now you've sold me a $2000 camera and i can't get anything but fuzzy pictures. I should be able to get at least 20% of my pictures to be good.
The salesman, was very patient with her, much credit to him. She even reprimanded him for chewing on a toothpick while talking, and he took it wtih good humour. But she wasn't backing down, and she was still there 45 minutes later when i left. She talked about using f22 aperture which got me wondering whether she had diffraction problems. But then he was talking about lenses to her, and even suggested trading her a newer lens straight across which showed me he was honestly trying to resolve this problem in an amicable manner.

The main take away here, i think, is to be careful who you talk into buying a digital camera. Someone who's at the top of their skills in film, may not find it so easy to transfer that skill into the digital world. In retrospect, this lady would probably have been far better off trying out digital with an entry-level model rather than investing $2000 in an advanced camera without fully realizing what she was getting into, as far as not just camera, but software, lenses, technical issues, and quality control. Its a minefield out there. My opinion only.

If you break someone's fun vocation, by getting them into something not so fun, you may find yourself feeling a bit guilty over the results

06-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a few less than on topic remarks.
A very good friend of mine has recently asked me for opinions on his first dslr. He has experience with film cameras of course. Did his own processing when he was younger. But he has been satisfied with a pocket camera for a number of years. A part if me believes his new learning curve will exhaust his interest and he will find himself returning to using shooing and shoot.
06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

you have to remember, anyone using sheet film has a negative that is blown up at about 2x magnification, to get a really big print, where as you may use 50x off a digital sensor to get the same image.

you have no hope in hell of getting the same resolution on digital as on sheet film, that's life.

but yes, someone should have explained this to her.
06-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be that she's just not used to it too. If she's strictly manual focusing and with older eyes besides she may be having issues. The first session I had with my *ist when I got it I nearly gave it up and went back to an SLR and my point and shoot. I practically had to learn to refocus a camera to use my *ist. It took me a week and trying three different pairs of eye glasses before I got a shot I could stand to keep.

Ironically? I find it actually works better for me if I am wearing a really old pair of glasses that I have or none at all, and I am definitely near-sighted, have a fair bit of astigmatism and I have that presbyopia thing going on a bit at this point. I shouldn't be able to take pics at all sans my most recent pair of glasses, but I've had exactly the opposite experience with focusing with those. I can see very well with them to drive, etc, but I have to take my glasses off to read or to use my camera.

My optometrist is pretty baffled. He's tested me several times, had his partner test me for good measure, says I am not quite ready for bifocals, but I can't read or use the camera with the eye glasses he actually made me for reading. He's a pretty good eye doctor I'm told. My folks use him and I've never heard them complain once about his glasses being bad so I am guessing it's "me" and my eyes are just weird that way somehow, but whatever is going on with me, it really messed me up when I first started using a DSLR. I'm getting better finally but I swear my eyes, they practically had to learn to use a camera all over again just because it was a DSLR. I use my naked eyes and the diopter now, mostly, that's it.

Could it be her 80 year old eyes just don't quite get how to see through the viewer of a DSLR as yet? Maybe she needs a diopter adjustment? I know it sounds stupid but it actually wasn't something I expected to have to do, to change it when I got my *ist. Maybe she just hasn't figured out she needs to go there, to change the diopter to suit her vision.

06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

could be she used to rest her MF and LF cameras on big stable tripods... now she's hand holding her new dSLR and has the jitters!
06-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Totally off topic but . . .
Wow, Kenmore Camera is still around? I used to go there way back, well, more years ago than I really care to reveal .
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Totally off topic but . . .
Wow, Kenmore Camera is still around? I used to go there way back, well, more years ago than I really care to reveal .
Yep, they are doing quite well too . There are always people in there. They still have some used Pentax lenses in their cases. I like the fact that they take trade-ins, i've benefited from some of that stuff. Also the sales staff are quite knowledgeable and helpful. Far more so than in the old Ritz organization, at least the one we had in Silverdale before it closed.
06-16-2011, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It seems like the salesperson should have taken the approach of trying to duplicate the problem, or watching the customer duplicate the problem. Issues like handholding or focusing would probably have become pretty obvious if they were the actual problems.

But the toothpick really had no place in a retail environment, so I'd say she was correct on that point.

Paul