Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can understand why you might feel taken advantage of, but realistically all people can do is share the image on a PC screen. So take advantage of this. What you have is FREE MARKETING! Have posters made and sell them! Do you have a web site you can sell from? You might want to consider this.

As photographers we want the images we think are the best to get the most "exposure" and play to the public. Sometimes, things take on a life of their own!

Remember, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then going viral with an image like this MUST be an extreme example of acceptance!

Good luck with this!

Oh and BTW, it is a nice image!

Last edited by BigDave; 06-30-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Addition
06-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Inactive Account

With the way everything's changing, it's really difficult to maintain an older standard of protecting one's IP rights. I'd say the least stressful way is to watermark everything and just bask in the fact that your image is being seen far and wide by folks who otherwise would never have seen it.
Then be flexible and keep your eyes open for ways to capitalize on it, as several have mentioned above.

After all, once you've posted something on the internet... chances are that if folks want it, it'll get out whether you want it to or not.
I'd sure hate to feel like I had to keep all my images in a shoebox again, though.
06-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #18

There is a setting to disable the sharing of your photos, hopefully it will prevent anyone from taking your excellent photos if that is what you want

So go onto Flickr. Go to "Your Account", then "Privacy & Permissions", then the first two settings will help you solve your problem in the future.

I looked at your photo and I can tell that the setting is not on, so I would recommend you did.

Beautiful shot of your parrot BTW
06-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
There is a setting to disable the sharing of your photos, hopefully it will prevent anyone from taking your excellent photos if that is what you want

So go onto Flickr. Go to "Your Account", then "Privacy & Permissions", then the first two settings will help you solve your problem in the future.

I looked at your photo and I can tell that the setting is not on, so I would recommend you did.

Beautiful shot of your parrot BTW
Thank you, im debating if I should do that or not.. The sites were mostly sharing it and linking back to me so I guess that's a good thing, but at the same time it would be nice to know if an actual photo site was using your photo even through the share thing.

06-30-2011, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

security is a fantasy

I don't use my FB account and I haven't posted images nor tried this security setting.

BUT... once you post a file anywhere, it's GONE! Gone from your control. Everything you post anywhere is copied onto the computers of whomever sees or hears or otherwise accesses it. Webpages can be written to disable right-click file saving. Big deal. Files can easily be harvested from the browser cache. Browser caches are easy to locate. If you post a nifty JPG or MP3 or PDF or MPG or CBR or whatever, it doesn't matter what security you think you have. Anyone who wants it can get it and do whatever they want with it.

The only way to protect a file is to keep it offline.

How to harvest files:

Search for directories named CACHE and TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES. Use the XnView media browser to read those folders. It doesn't matter if the names have been hashed and the type.extension removed, as Mozillaware does; XnView just reads the type from a file's header. Move what you want to your HARVEST folder, rename with the appropriate extension, and do your worst, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 07-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
07-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Not sure if this was on flikr or not, but I was recently collecting pics of differnt 135mm f:1.8 lenses. A few of the pics I wanted to grab came up with a message that said that the user had turned that ability off.

If flikr doesn't have it, they should seriously add that option.

It is still posiible to get pics that are locked like that, but it will discourage most people from even trying.
Flickr has the option so that you cannot right-click and save the picture. It's so simple to work around though, that it's useless. Ever opened your Temporary Internet Files while browsing Flickr? Once it shows up on your screen, a copy of it has already been saved to your computer. There's browsers add-on's that can retrieve it for you.
07-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
also theres prtsc and ctrl + v

Thanks everyone for the comments and stuff on this subject.

I don't fancy not sharing my images.. I take them and enjoy others viewing them and there feedback. I was just took my suprise I guess that one of my photos got a bit popular on the net.. but then the internet is like that I guess.

I did end up making prints available on whitewall.com but no sales, I recon i missed the boat , also most of the places I seen it were on young peoples blogs who prob wouldn't want a print anyway more just to go.. ohh thats cool and move on . But at-least Im a bit wiser now and I got some free advertisement of my work

07-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Submit it to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) if you haven't already.
07-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That pic is awesome, I too have a Congo African Grey and love photogaphing him, he is all character and attitude and it shows in his pics.\
I bet you really enjoy having that guy in your life as I do with my Grey, I am really into parrots and they are my main photo subjects and as such I am constantly looking for ways to photograph them.
07-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Submit it to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) if you haven't already.
I have sent it in but seems slow these days.

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
That pic is awesome, I too have a Congo African Grey and love photogaphing him, he is all character and attitude and it shows in his pics.\
I bet you really enjoy having that guy in your life as I do with my Grey, I am really into parrots and they are my main photo subjects and as such I am constantly looking for ways to photograph them.
Yer they are amazing creatures. I don't think alot of people understand just how wonderful they are.. as its only by spending alot of time with them that you will realize.

Having one bond to you is very special and a simply amazing experience but I don't think its for everyone .. alot of love and attention is required .

Dose yours like to be photographed? I find mine tends to love the camera and strobes .
07-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Flickr provides copyright for photographers. Of course, if someone steals your photo, you have to contact them yourself. You can tell them to either cease and desist or to provide you with whatever compensation you require. How did you find out who is using your photo?
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Flickr provides copyright for photographers. Of course, if someone steals your photo, you have to contact them yourself. You can tell them to either cease and desist or to provide you with whatever compensation you require. How did you find out who is using your photo?
I have flickr pro, So I looked at who linked to my flickr, also I found out google image search works wonders.

I also fond one of my wifes cat photos on a site..
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Usuqa,

This is a beautiful shot - everything about it is good - lighting, subject, creative props. Sad to see people using your photo without permission, or without the original link to your photo-stream. But, something that should be expected in today's world wide web, where every user wants to become a producer of interesting information.

Abhi