Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Drive mode

Given the fairly high FPS on the K-5, I find it tempting to use continuous shooting mode to fire off a few shots if I'm taking a photo of a group or animal, etc..

This way if someone blinks in one frame, the next one might be better. Or the expression/position of an animal's face might be better after two or three frames.

I think the fast FPS gives me more chances to get a better photo when there are lots of variables involved.

What do you use it for?

07-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

[reviving unanswered thread]

I've not had reason (or inspiration) to bother using Continuous (2.3 or 3 fps) or Burst (21 fps, 1.6 mpx) on my K20D yet. My life is just too slow here... But I've read speculation that this is The Future Of Photography: Shoot a burst, pick the best frame(s), sh!tcan the rest. Some will call it cheating. Some will call it overkill. Working photographers call it survival.
07-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think purists will demand you anticipate the moment and capture it in a single frame. Indeed, this is a worthy skill to develop because it trains your sense of timing, but realistically, what matters at the end of the day is whether or not you've got the shot. If it came by way of burst, the only way anyone's going to know that is if they demonstrate the profound sadness of their lives by scouring the EXIF for the thrill of deriding your technique (as if this somehow invalidates the quality of your product).
07-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For an unpredictable instantaneous event, such as:

07-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I second Ash's emotion.
07-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
For an unpredictable instantaneous event, such as:
A secondary benefit of burst mode application in cases such as this is a greater number of photos of a girl in a bikini.

However, there are also less palatable situations where a burst can help you not miss "the shot" when the unexpected or unpredictable occurs: