Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
vivitar series 1 HELP

HI EVERYONE,
CAN ANYONE HELP ME, I OWN A K10D AND I HAVE A 28-90MM VIVITAR SERIES 1 LENS, I WAS LOOKING ON EBAY, AND I SAW A VIVITAR SERIES 1 28-105MM LENS, I EMAILED SELLER TO SEE IF IT WAS A K MOUNT AS I CANT READ GERMAN , AND HE ASSURED ME IT WAS.
LENS ARRIVED TODAY BOXED AND GLEAMING NOT A MARK TIGHT ZOOM EVEN THE BOOKLETS AND STRAPS HAVE NOT BEEN OPENED, AND ALL FOR 60£, COULDNT WAIT TO TRY IT ONK10, ANYWAY IT DID NOT FIT, I LOOKED AT DETAILS ON LENS BARREL, AND THEY ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT,.
THE 28-90, IS MARKED THUS P/K-A , BUT THE 28-105, IS MARKED PK-A/R , CAN ANYONE TRY AND RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME, AND IN TURN PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE ONCE MORE, MAYBE I COULD USE AN ADAPTER PLATE??????????? IF THEIR IS ONE .............
MANY THANKS ALL~~~~~~~~ KC

11-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to look at the protection shield for the apature actuating lever.

A lot of vivitar lenses have a shield that is about 3 times bigger than it needs to be. There should be 3-4 tiny screws that hold this shield in place. if you remove the shield you can cut it down to size. then paint over the exposed metal.

Check the lens forum as there are several photos.

I had to do the same thing on my 70-210 f/3.5
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezuit 60 Quote
HI EVERYONE,
CAN ANYONE HELP ME, I OWN A K10D AND I HAVE A 28-90MM VIVITAR SERIES 1 LENS, I WAS LOOKING ON EBAY, AND I SAW A VIVITAR SERIES 1 28-105MM LENS, I EMAILED SELLER TO SEE IF IT WAS A K MOUNT AS I CANT READ GERMAN , AND HE ASSURED ME IT WAS.
LENS ARRIVED TODAY BOXED AND GLEAMING NOT A MARK TIGHT ZOOM EVEN THE BOOKLETS AND STRAPS HAVE NOT BEEN OPENED, AND ALL FOR 60£, COULDNT WAIT TO TRY IT ONK10, ANYWAY IT DID NOT FIT, I LOOKED AT DETAILS ON LENS BARREL, AND THEY ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT,.
THE 28-90, IS MARKED THUS P/K-A , BUT THE 28-105, IS MARKED PK-A/R , CAN ANYONE TRY AND RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME, AND IN TURN PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE ONCE MORE, MAYBE I COULD USE AN ADAPTER PLATE??????????? IF THEIR IS ONE .............
MANY THANKS ALL~~~~~~~~ KC
PK-A/R is a Pentax and Ricoh (which used the k mount) mount. Be aware that there may be an extra pin that will lock into the AF drive shaft and the lens will now be stuck on your camera. Other than that, the flange thing is also a possibility.
Here is a mildly funny story: You normally will not have to go this route.....err.. DON'T do that
Lens stuck on Pentax SLR
You can use a feeler gauge to lift the pin.
The Canonical Stuck Lens Information thread: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
BUT that may still leave the collar thing.
Flange Fix for Vivitar Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography
11-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for info Jeffkrol , forwarned, and now forarmed. and i thought your story of lens destruction was great , who would have thought that sequence of events would occur,ha ha...
many thanks~kc

11-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
great advice LOWELL , and probably the only solution to the problem ,
although i tried to mount lens on x2 converter and it worked i then mounted both on camera and both work, strange ? So now i dont know if i should leave converter on , and have greater magnification ratio, or doctor the lens , What do you think.
many thanks Lowell~~~~ kev
11-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
ps Lowell good article re lens collar for smc 300mm f.4, i bought one recently and your article gave me good advice, nice one~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ kev
11-15-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezuit 60 Quote
great advice LOWELL , and probably the only solution to the problem ,
although i tried to mount lens on x2 converter and it worked i then mounted both on camera and both work, strange ? So now i dont know if i should leave converter on , and have greater magnification ratio, or doctor the lens , What do you think.
many thanks Lowell~~~~ kev
It's up to you.

on my 70-210 f/3.5 I took the shield off and cut it down. took all of about 5 minutes. That way you get the best of both. there are times when you will want the length, and K mount TCs let this lens mount. but there are times when you will want speed. and the TC costs you there.

11-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
very true Lowell, why do i not think of that, once more i thank you, ~~~~~~~~~ kev