Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sensor dust prevention?

Is there an almost foolproof way to make sure no dust enters the camera while changing lenses?

How does everyone handle this?

09-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best way to avoid dust is to change lenses as little as possible- but if you really have to switch, try doing it in a closed and clean room.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I used to leave the rear caps on for as long as possible when changing with my film cameras to minimise crap on the rear element. Now I minimise the time the camera doesn't have a lens on by taking the lens rear cap off first! I also try to point the camera down as much as I can while lensless to avoid dust getting in.
09-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do the same as Arpe

09-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Less and less dust with time??

I agree with Arpe. Also, I have found that I get less dust with time. Perhaps it was inside the camera when purchased and I have finally gotten rid of it all? I changed lenses a lot this summer - no dust. I used to have the camera professionally cleaned every six month, but haven't had to do it for a year now(knock on wood)!
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
cmv

Buy one of the cleaning kits. For $30 USD you can get the pec pads with a wand, a rocket blower, and the eclipse cleaning solution plus some other options. I was nervous cleaning the sensor at first but it really is no big deal. I brought this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I2WN00/002-7829877-2472043?ie=UTF8

You can get it straight from the micro-tools.com site too. I happened to have an Amazon Gift Certificate.

Once I got over that first nerve wracking cleaning I felt much more comfortable about using my camera as I wished. I do point the body down and try to change lenses quickly but if I get some dust I can fix it no problem. It's not a big deal.

edit: Hope this doesn't sound like an ad! I have no relation to that company besides being a happy customer.
09-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I agree with Arpe. Also, I have found that I get less dust with time. Perhaps it was inside the camera when purchased and I have finally gotten rid of it all? I changed lenses a lot this summer - no dust. I used to have the camera professionally cleaned every six month, but haven't had to do it for a year now(knock on wood)!
Have you been keeping your camera carying case cleaner recently, and the outside of the camera? Has the relative humidity been higher? All these factors will reduce the likelyhood that dust will be drawn in while the camera is open. (by static attraction) I'm thinking of making a plastic changing bag with HEPA intake filtering on one side and a flapper check valve on the other (exhaust) side. I'm going to look at the vacumn garment bags as a possible start, and a replacement vacumn cleaner HEPA filter at the intake. Might be a worthwhile DIY project. I think furniture and auto paint shops have some great "tack(ey) rags" to get up the last dust. Go speak to an expert!

09-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Please post a pic of your contraption .

I haven't been doing anything in particular this year to keep the dust out, but as you hint at, the higher humity during my trips to Europe and China as compared to the dry air we have in the Arizona desert could be an explanation.
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With most zoom lenses your going to get dust anyway.. Even if you change your lenses in a vacumn..

Whenever you zoom in and out if the lens gets longer it is going to be pulling air in behind it.. So if it is not weather sealed it is sucking dust into your camera..

Of course to minimise extra dust just change your lenses out of the wind, and quickly...

For cleaning the sensor I also use pecpads and exlipse fluid, but I don;t do it very often (every second month) and I change lenses a lot..
11-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
How does everyone handle this?
As Arpe said. Here's my detailed procedure:
  • Loosen rear cap on new lens.
  • Put lens cap on old lens and unmount old lens, camera facing down.
  • Swap rear cap from new lens to old lens.
  • Mount new lens to camera, camera still facing down.
  • Start breathing again...
It is good practice to keep (front and rear) lens caps clean as any dirt will transfer to the lens and from their potentially into the camera.
11-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Why stress about a little dust. Just blow the sensor off from time to time.
Enjoy your camera and remember it is made of sterner stuff than candy floss in a rain storm.
11-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #12
Dom

You can't keep the dust out, it's just not possible. Unless of course you never change lenses and you only use 'star' lenses.
'Arctic butterfly's' are great for getting all but the stubbornest dirt off. I wet clean to.
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

turn camera off when changing lenses

Don’t forget to turn your camera off when changing lenses. I read this tip on this forum and I found it does help a small amount. I end up blowing the dust off with a rocket blower about once every 3-4 months do to something getting in and yes I change my lens about 2-3 times a day. The first time dust got into the camera was the day after I bought it. I kind of panicked but the sales person sold me a blower and told me to get use to it. I have and don’t worry any more. One day I’ll send it out if the blower doesn’t work but for now I just enjoy taking pics.
“If a camera is a tool then why not use it to it’s fullest.”
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Don’t forget to turn your camera off when changing lenses.
I haven't found that to matter much at all. Don't forget that the shutter is closed the entire time that you aren't actually taking a picture, so it's not like you'll automatically get dust just by removing the lens.
12-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just get used to cleaning the sensor -- it's not that bad. My 1Ds2's big sensor loooooves to collect dust and has zero self cleaning features.

95% of the time a rocket blower is enough. If that fails, the Arctic Butterfly gets the rest, and if THAT fails then the Sensorklear loupe+pen ($40, not a bad deal for what you get) comes out.

Never had to wet clean.