Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is there anything to plenoptic photography that's not do-able with other forms of 3D photography?

Fundamentally it is recording a image from multiple angles; maybe the major benefit is just the compactness of the instrument.

06-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Is there anything to plenoptic photography that's not do-able with other forms of 3D photography?

Fundamentally it is recording a image from multiple angles; maybe the major benefit is just the compactness of the instrument.
Light field photography for 3d applications is quite different than traditional stereoscopy. If you want to understand the differences, this academic paper has a decent amount of detail on the topic.
06-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus after you've snapped a pic ( & 3D camera) .. new startup.. wow

New camera lets you focus photos after you shoot - CNN.com

"Light Field Camera"
06-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Several threads have already been made about this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/147589-4d-lightfield-camera.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/116294-never-take-out...lens-tech.html

This appears to be the most relevant and popular:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/149157-completely-new-sensor-design.html

It is a very neat developing technology!

06-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Light field photography for 3d applications is quite different than traditional stereoscopy. If you want to understand the differences, this academic paper has a decent amount of detail on the topic.
The link was about detailed 3d rendering; but I am wondering if there is any inherent difference in plenoptic photography data collection compared to stereoscopy - isn't the new technique basically stereoscopy using one primary kens? It is just a compact way of collecting directional information from a scene & subsequently manipulating it to extract distance information.

From the descriptions I've read the new technique collects ray info from more than two directions; the key thing is that it is a data collection technique but the data collected isn't much different from a multi-lens stereo photo.

Can't one in principle take stereo pair (or stereo triplet, quad, etc.) data and use it to compute distance in a way to recreate the dof illusion?

Similarly, can't one take plenoptically acquired data and use it to create a stereo image?
06-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I take your point but how many kids these days know what a turn table is? I have a large collection of vinyl but my kid's friends have never seen them until they visit the house. maybe i should have said Beta VCR
I'm 26 and I can guarantee you my kids will know what vinyls are - my 8 month old is already playing with the texture of vinyl casings; not that he knows what it is but the point is it's there and used. I think our latest vinyl is not 2 months old? when did the last radiohead album come out?

anyways - so this sounds like this camera could make it much easier to take macro shots
06-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #37

In 2005, Ng's prototype took a 16mp camera and produced a 0.09mp image.

My guess is that this camera won't be for making prints, and will be geared towards creating images meant to be viewed on a computer.

06-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Okay someone tell me if this:

Light Field camera | Lytro

Sounds vaguely like the same technology as this?

Recover Detail and Sharpen Your Blurred Photos

It struck me when I read the story about the Lytro that they might be doing something like this, only inside a camera, instead of on a computer? Or is that totally wrong thinking?
06-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Okay someone tell me if this:

Light Field camera | Lytro

Sounds vaguely like the same technology as this?

Recover Detail and Sharpen Your Blurred Photos

It struck me when I read the story about the Lytro that they might be doing something like this, only inside a camera, instead of on a computer? Or is that totally wrong thinking?
They are very different methods. In the light field camera a number of stereo photos are taken at each pixel using microprisms; these photos are recombined mathematically to be in focus at various distances

Focus magic is (very useful in my opinion) software that takes an out-of-focus disk of light and squeezes it back into an in-focus point of light.
06-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

a physics doctorate and photographer friend of mine pointed out a fun fact after reading the research paper published on this:
"The coolest part is that this guy's work is going to help enable corrections of all sorts of distortions and lens aberrations using software in place of traditional components (such as lens doublets and triplets to correct chromatic aberration or spherical aberration)...this means that larger aperture lenses may soon come in much smaller packages and be MUCH more affordable...

After all, the manufacturing cost of code is significantly less than optical glass....... just ctrl+v"

sadly, he also pointed out the original prototype was built on a digital medium format back, so im not exactly holding my breath over this. Definitely excited however
06-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #41

Photography to change forever - new technology

Pentax should take a long hard look at a new type of technology to get ahead of the other major brands.

This new technology will allow the change of point of focus, depth of field etc. AFTER TAKING THE PHOTO.

Check out the news article at ---> Lytro introduces Light Field Capture and changes photography forever | Sync? Blog OR check out the company website at----> Light Field camera | Lytro

This should generate some real discussion, but does it take away our creativity?
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is very interesting! (Btw see also the related thread with a link to a cnn article on this).
06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

No, if anything it will leave us free for more of it. How many truly great shots have we all missed because we had to act quickly and the end pic was just a little out of focus. I've spent a fair amount of time doing portrait shots and I can't tell you how many times I worked my arse off all afternoon on someone's new head shots only to come home and find the one pic that I thought was going to be the nicest of the lot ruined because my focus was a little off in that shot. If I didn't have to worry about that ever again? I would be so happy.

Focusing is just part of the mechanics of taking a pic. I'd rather concentrate on more on making pics and on composition than worrying about focusing right. I do both, MF and AF and I can see the value of learning to do both, but I like the idea of this technology. For some people it would really save some tears...

QuoteOriginally posted by oddie1990 Quote
This should generate some real discussion, but does it take away our creativity?
06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #44
Veteran Member

also, imagine a world without FF issue complaints
11-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I am betting that this is done with multi photos (photoshop layers) on top of each other with different DOF.
they seem to have software that can auto choose the proper layer in the area you click.
And you have just lost your bet!