Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sympathise - I'm in a similar position! Hoping I win that DA40 from Pentax Photo Day, not gonna afford a Limited otherwise!

I like your photos on flickr too - the reflected moon and trees - very nice. A little tip - they way to get views on flickr is to add your stuff to groups - as many as possible. Also follow and comment other people's work. That way you get more views and comments, and more ideas about what of your stuff people like. Remember, its a social networking site as much as a photo site...

06-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
I sympathise - I'm in a similar position! Hoping I win that DA40 from Pentax Photo Day, not gonna afford a Limited otherwise!

I like your photos on flickr too - the reflected moon and trees - very nice. A little tip - they way to get views on flickr is to add your stuff to groups - as many as possible. Also follow and comment other people's work. That way you get more views and comments, and more ideas about what of your stuff people like. Remember, its a social networking site as much as a photo site...
Thank you jeztastic! It's always good to know you're not alone.

I appreciate the compliment! I have discovered that about flickr and have been trying to do just that. I just need to be more diligent about the networking aspect of it. But you're right - it is very helpful to get feedback on which images people like, kind of points you in that direction and encourages at the same time.

By the way, i really appreciate the earlier Samsung recommendation, roliver. I don't know why, but I never realized we could use those lenses. I'll have to do more research and include Samsung this time. Thanks!
06-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
By the way, i really appreciate the earlier Samsung recommendation, roliver. I don't know why, but I never realized we could use those lenses. I'll have to do more research and include Samsung this time. Thanks!
Don't want to tell you something you already know, but it's just the Samsung lenses from when they were in co-operation with Pentax that fit - from the K10d / GX10 and K20d / GX20. The newer NX lenses don't fit on Pentax.
06-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've got LBA bad but I am finding that not everything has to be expensive to be either good, useful, or fun. The cheapest lens I have purchased so far is my Quantaray 28-90 Macro. I'm having a ball with it and used it to good effect this past weekend at the butterfly arboretum. Cost = $35 shipped. On the other end is my Tamron 10-24 that cost $374 new. Lots of pics this weekend too of buildings, stained glass windows, etc. Of course I have 2 lenses inbound as well.........getting the Lens Adapter -3 for my camera kicked my LBA back into high gear for manual focus lenses!

06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #20

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul! Yeah, the forum is wonderful but then you keep reading about everyone's latest acquisitions and seeing their awesome photos.

By the way, as an aside, the forum really is wonderful. I mean that. I have felt welcomed and everyone has been so helpful and encouraging each time I have posted a question. It's a great place and I'm glad to have found it and to have "met" you all.
In the overall scheme of things digital photography is really not that expensive. I just switched over to digital and I am loving the costs. Being an amatuer / enthusiast I can take as many pictures as I want and there is no cost to see the results. Sure there's always nice new toys out there but once you have your basic set up there is not really any other cost. Just remember there are plenty of people who buy lots of stuff that they never really use - they just like to say they have it. You are using what you have every weekend etc so good for you.
Don't worry about "keeping up with the jones" let other's worry about that.

If you were to look at the set up cost for some other hobbies Digital Photography looks cheap. - Boating, Racing cars, 4 wheelers, Skidoos, RV's, Camping, Motorcycles, Golfing, I could go on but I think you get the point. So there's a few more points to justify your costs with yourself or your signifigant other should you need some!!!!

The beauty about pentax is long term lens compatability......so save your money for what you really want and don't worry if takes a little time. It's all worth it in the end.
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
In the overall scheme of things digital photography is really not that expensive. I just switched over to digital and I am loving the costs. Being an amatuer / enthusiast I can take as many pictures as I want and there is no cost to see the results. Sure there's always nice new toys out there but once you have your basic set up there is not really any other cost. Just remember there are plenty of people who buy lots of stuff that they never really use - they just like to say they have it. You are using what you have every weekend etc so good for you.

If you were to look at the set up cost for some other hobbies Digital Photography looks cheap. - Boating, Racing cars, 4 wheelers, Skidoos, RV's, Camping, Motorcycles, Golfing, I could go on but I think you get the point. So there's a few more points to justify your costs with yourself or your signifigant other should you need some!!!!

The beauty about pentax is long term lens compatability......so save your money for what you really want and don't worry if takes a little time. It's all worth it in the end.
Excellent points. I've been caught up in LBA but I must say that compared to Golf the ongoing costs here can be zero. To play golf, for example, you have endless fees, etc. I'm very glad I shifted over to photography
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Don't want to tell you something you already know, but it's just the Samsung lenses from when they were in co-operation with Pentax that fit - from the K10d / GX10 and K20d / GX20. The newer NX lenses don't fit on Pentax.
Oh, not much chance that you'll tell me something I already know! Thank you, that is very helpful info!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've got LBA bad but I am finding that not everything has to be expensive to be either good, useful, or fun. The cheapest lens I have purchased so far is my Quantaray 28-90 Macro. I'm having a ball with it and used it to good effect this past weekend at the butterfly arboretum. Cost = $35 shipped. On the other end is my Tamron 10-24 that cost $374 new. Lots of pics this weekend too of buildings, stained glass windows, etc. Of course I have 2 lenses inbound as well.........getting the Lens Adapter -3 for my camera kicked my LBA back into high gear for manual focus lenses!
Good points! Yeah, my A50/1.7 might be my best lens and it was the cheapest. The 35/2.4 is probably a bit better but not much. It is hard to know which of the cheaper alternatives to go for, though. I do find the Lens Review section here really helpful in trying to sort all that out.

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote

Thank you! This puts it in perspective and I appreciate the post. I may post this up on my fridge!

06-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not helping your LBA, Loco, but +1 on the Quantaray 28-90 macro - huge bang for the buck! If you've been following my 'duck updates' in the pet thread, you'll be seeing some new shots done with this lens. Not that these are shining examples of the lens' capabilities , but for cheap and good fun, it's hard to beat. OK, back to the original topic.....
06-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

my A50/1.7 might be my best lens and it was the cheapest
good to know I am not the only one
this is my ultimate night panorama lens, just focus to infinity and f/8
it`s also a great portrait lens or to shoot bigger plants - the bokeh is exceptional
06-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Not helping your LBA, Loco, but +1 on the Quantaray 28-90 macro - huge bang for the buck! If you've been following my 'duck updates' in the pet thread, you'll be seeing some new shots done with this lens. Not that these are shining examples of the lens' capabilities , but for cheap and good fun, it's hard to beat. OK, back to the original topic.....
Oh, I've been following the duck updates with great interest! Good to know what lens you were using. That actually sounds like one I may have to add to my list. Macro is down my list of priorities at the moment but I do eventually want to get a macro lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
good to know I am not the only one
this is my ultimate night panorama lens, just focus to infinity and f/8
it`s also a great portrait lens or to shoot bigger plants - the bokeh is exceptional
I've never tried that lens at night. Interesting! I'll have to give it a go. This is great, a new thing to try with equipment I already own! Thank you.
06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Enjoy what you have And often wishing for something is better then having it.. I recently bought the da*300, 15, 35 and 70 limited after I got some spare cash. And guess what? I haven't had time to enjoy them much. I just got too much stuff on too short time. Definitely used my gear more when I only had the kit and 55-300. The only up-side is that I wont have to upgrade anytime soon, so I hope I will get use of my lenses for years and years to come. Or maybe I should get the FA limiteds? hmm...... hehe. It's crazy expensive, and it wont be economically sane. But you only live once mate.. Why not do the things that make you happy? Save up bit by bit. By a lens every year, or very other year. There is no rush, photography is a lifetime hobby, and the lenses you want today will be just as good later (and cost less).
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I got my K-r in March and have been having so much fun learning and shooting ever since. It is my constant companion on weekends. Looking back on my early images, I can see a progression, but I have a long way to go to get "good". And that's part of the fun of this hobby - you always have something to learn, you always have room to improve, and there's always something to take a picture of!

BUT ... there's always a but. I find myself a bit discouraged by the sheer cost of it. I know there's plenty I can do with the four lenses I have. I know I haven't even scratched the surface. But the LBA! It's unbearable! Trying to be rational doesn't really work on an "addiction".

Currently, I have the 18-55 kit, DA L 55-300, DA 35/2.4, and A 50/1.7.

I really want an ultra wide angle zoom. It's the only area I feel I don't have "covered" by my existing lenses. I can do macro of a sort with my Raynox adapter. Anyway, those UWA lenses are so expensive! Not to mention I'd love to add a limited prime at some point. The Sigma 10-20 is perhaps the least expensive ultra wide option and it's well over $400 (about the total price of the four lenses in my camera bag), which is just a bit much for me right now. I'd love the DA 12-24 but I could never afford that!

I guess the point of this is, I'm not sure I can really afford this hobby. And that gets me down sometimes. But then the weekend comes and I play with the equipment I've got and I have fun and forget about it for a while.

Does anyone else get frustrated with the cost? While this is my obsession at the moment, it is just a hobby for me. I will never make money off my photos. I wonder should I be spending all this money on a hobby. Then I rationalize that it's fun and one has to have interests and things to do that make them happy.

Sorry for rambling on. Just wondering what others with limited incomes do when faced with the financial realities of photography as a hobby. Thanks for reading and for any advice/suggestions.
The 14mm Samyang variants seem pretty nice, and I've liked all the pictures I've seen from their 8mm fish eye (not too fishy, and can be defished with software). The 14mm can be had for 324.00 at buydig.com (the Bell and Howell Variant) after you add the coupon code BuyDigClub15. The fisheye is 254 after the coupon. Check out the samyang club and flicker, some great shots from these lenses (but not enough of them yet).

EDIT: What got me more serious, and (slightly)less concerned about expense was having my daughter, but it is a crazy expensive hobby. I think the 14mm will really round out your kit though. I'm still considering it, the 15mm ltd and the 12-24. Also, my favorite lens of the moment is my 58mm Helios 44-2. The Helios 44 series are very cheap online and I have taken some really nice portraits with mine.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-22-2011 at 09:50 AM.
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Seriously, its better than the Sigma 28-80 Macro, is Made in Japan, has multi-coatings, etc., etc,. etc. and best of all they go for CHEAP
06-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Buy one or two lenses a year, and it's actually not that expensive (unless you're going for the top end stuff, which is frankly unnecessary).

Ultrawides are the only FL you can't get cheap, because APS-sensor ultrawides didn't exist until APS sensors did. You only need one though, and the Sigma 10-20 you mentioned is great (the slower older variant is just as good as the current one).

When considering gear, also remember that you could spend the money on a trip instead. Photos of Yosemite taken with a kit zoom are going to be, in general, more satisfying than photos of your hypothetical cat taken with an FA31 Ltd.
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Enjoy what you have And often wishing for something is better then having it.. I recently bought the da*300, 15, 35 and 70 limited after I got some spare cash. And guess what? I haven't had time to enjoy them much. I just got too much stuff on too short time. Definitely used my gear more when I only had the kit and 55-300. The only up-side is that I wont have to upgrade anytime soon, so I hope I will get use of my lenses for years and years to come. Or maybe I should get the FA limiteds? hmm...... hehe. It's crazy expensive, and it wont be economically sane. But you only live once mate.. Why not do the things that make you happy? Save up bit by bit. By a lens every year, or very other year. There is no rush, photography is a lifetime hobby, and the lenses you want today will be just as good later (and cost less).
Thanks for the perspective. I do find all the opinions and suggestions very helpful. You know these things in your head, but for some reason having someone else confirm them seems to make all the difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The 14mm Samyang variants seem pretty nice, and I've liked all the pictures I've seen from their 8mm fish eye (not too fishy, and can be defished with software). The 14mm can be had for 324.00 at buydig.com (the Bell and Howell Variant) after you add the coupon code BuyDigClub15. The fisheye is 254 after the coupon. Check out the samyang club and flicker, some great shots from these lenses (but not enough of them yet).

EDIT: What got me more serious, and (slightly)less concerned about expense was having my daughter, but it is a crazy expensive hobby. I think the 14mm will really round out your kit though. I'm still considering it, the 15mm ltd and the 12-24. Also, my favorite lens of the moment is my 58mm Helios 44-2. The Helios 44 series are very cheap online and I have taken some really nice portraits with mine.
I will definitely chek out the Samyang 14, thank you! I have read that the Samyang lenses are good bang for the buck.

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Buy one or two lenses a year, and it's actually not that expensive (unless you're going for the top end stuff, which is frankly unnecessary).

Ultrawides are the only FL you can't get cheap, because APS-sensor ultrawides didn't exist until APS sensors did. You only need one though, and the Sigma 10-20 you mentioned is great (the slower older variant is just as good as the current one).

When considering gear, also remember that you could spend the money on a trip instead. Photos of Yosemite taken with a kit zoom are going to be, in general, more satisfying than photos of your hypothetical cat taken with an FA31 Ltd.
I like this buy one or two a year idea! Trouble is I've already bought three this year! Does that mean I can't buy any more until 2013?

Great point on the trip. Although my non-hypothetical cats would look really good if I had that FA31 Ltd!!

Seriously, I appreciate your points - they make a great deal of sense. I would love to go to Yosemite or Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon! And I'd take my kit lens with me and have a blast.