Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A "noob" who's having fun but a little discouraged

I got my K-r in March and have been having so much fun learning and shooting ever since. It is my constant companion on weekends. Looking back on my early images, I can see a progression, but I have a long way to go to get "good". And that's part of the fun of this hobby - you always have something to learn, you always have room to improve, and there's always something to take a picture of!

BUT ... there's always a but. I find myself a bit discouraged by the sheer cost of it. I know there's plenty I can do with the four lenses I have. I know I haven't even scratched the surface. But the LBA! It's unbearable! Trying to be rational doesn't really work on an "addiction".

Currently, I have the 18-55 kit, DA L 55-300, DA 35/2.4, and A 50/1.7.

I really want an ultra wide angle zoom. It's the only area I feel I don't have "covered" by my existing lenses. I can do macro of a sort with my Raynox adapter. Anyway, those UWA lenses are so expensive! Not to mention I'd love to add a limited prime at some point. The Sigma 10-20 is perhaps the least expensive ultra wide option and it's well over $400 (about the total price of the four lenses in my camera bag), which is just a bit much for me right now. I'd love the DA 12-24 but I could never afford that!

I guess the point of this is, I'm not sure I can really afford this hobby. And that gets me down sometimes. But then the weekend comes and I play with the equipment I've got and I have fun and forget about it for a while.

Does anyone else get frustrated with the cost? While this is my obsession at the moment, it is just a hobby for me. I will never make money off my photos. I wonder should I be spending all this money on a hobby. Then I rationalize that it's fun and one has to have interests and things to do that make them happy.

Sorry for rambling on. Just wondering what others with limited incomes do when faced with the financial realities of photography as a hobby. Thanks for reading and for any advice/suggestions.

06-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All hobbies are expensive, but if they're fun, it's usually worth it! Go with the flow for now, and I'm sure that later down the road, you'll have waited long enough to justify the bigger purchase- that's always how it works
06-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the words of my photography instructor, 'photography is expensive, get over it.'

I'm trying.
06-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

these moods are familiar to me too
but...no one else but you is going to make your dreams come true
I don`t make money directly from photography, but I work as a photog when needed in my job...and since I work in the environmental sector, I often spend weekends in nature doing trekking and such and I would call myself an amateur photog (person who loves it) and really love to take nice pics of nature and such...
what do I do to ease my mind from feeling bad because I spend a lot of money on equipment? just a quick visit of some e-shop shopping for the same setup of primes or WR bodies and lenses from canikon or sony

06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You might consider trying to earn a little money from your photography and using that to buy new equipment. Submit some of your work for publication...shoot some portraits of your friends' kids...do a wedding for someone on a limited budget...shoot some senior portraits on spec. Sometimes, making our photography pay its own way can really help to put things into perspective.
06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's as expensive as you make it.

At one time I had a film camera (the BC3 in my sig) and a 50mm f1.8. That was it. No flash, no zooms, no other lenses - and I had to pay to see every shot. It makes you think more.

My current line-up was very cheap (K-7 was an insurance replacement of a k10d that was a gift to myself from the money that came from selling the house when I got divorced - so free, in a way, 18-55 came with it, 80-200 cost my dad £20 or something, but he has other lenses now so he gave it me. Flash was a fiver) but it's great fun. I'd like a 70-200 f2.8 with a 2x TC for birds, and a macro, but there is time to acquire these things. In the meantime, there are lots of things suitable for the equipment I have that I haven't seen yet, let alone photographed.
06-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All hobbies are expensive, but if they're fun, it's usually worth it! Go with the flow for now, and I'm sure that later down the road, you'll have waited long enough to justify the bigger purchase- that's always how it works
Thanks, Adam. That's helpful because I see the "cheaper" options out there, such as certain manual lenses or off brands and am tempted to get them. But at this point, I think it's best to wait for what I really want and save the money I'd have spent on the less expensive options. (It's just really hard!)

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
In the words of my photography instructor, 'photography is expensive, get over it.'

I'm trying.
Ha, well that sure got to the point! Good to know I'm not alone!

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
these moods are familiar to me too
but...no one else but you is going to make your dreams come true
I don`t make money directly from photography, but I work as a photog when needed in my job...and since I work in the environmental sector, I often spend weekends in nature doing trekking and such and I would call myself an amateur photog (person who loves it) and really love to take nice pics of nature and such...
what do I do to ease my mind from feeling bad because I spend a lot of money on equipment? just a quick visit of some e-shop shopping for the same setup of primes or WR bodies and lenses from canikon or sony
And in that sense, I suppose I should feel comforted. Thank you!

06-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You might consider trying to earn a little money from your photography and using that to buy new equipment. Submit some of your work for publication...shoot some portraits of your friends' kids...do a wedding for someone on a limited budget...shoot some senior portraits on spec. Sometimes, making our photography pay its own way can really help to put things into perspective.
These are good ideas. Thank you. I'm not sure I'm good enough yet for publication, though. I've tried stock photo sites and haven't had a single bite on any of my photos. I can barely get any views!

I suppose I lack confidence to actually charge someone for photographing them at this time but as I feel more comfortable, that is certainly something to keep in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
It's as expensive as you make it.

At one time I had a film camera (the BC3 in my sig) and a 50mm f1.8. That was it. No flash, no zooms, no other lenses - and I had to pay to see every shot. It makes you think more.

My current line-up was very cheap (K-7 was an insurance replacement of a k10d that was a gift to myself from the money that came from selling the house when I got divorced - so free, in a way, 18-55 came with it, 80-200 cost my dad £20 or something, but he has other lenses now so he gave it me. Flash was a fiver) but it's great fun. I'd like a 70-200 f2.8 with a 2x TC for birds, and a macro, but there is time to acquire these things. In the meantime, there are lots of things suitable for the equipment I have that I haven't seen yet, let alone photographed.
That's what I keep trying to tell myself, and it's so true! Thanks for reaffirming it. There is so much to learn and do and I already have tools I have yet to master. That's what my focus should be.
06-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

photography IS an expensive hobby (especially from a student that is racking up a massive uni loan!) but I compromised and went with the zenitar 16/2.8, sure its not UWA and it is a little bit fishy, but it is alot wider than all my other lenses and when stepped down a bit it is sharp.

I also found that you don't need to buy everything first hand esp since you have this great community and ebay (snatching up a great number of deals there but make sure you have self control!). I guess the thing is that for the same price as a limited prime you could fetch yourself some slower glass but also get a flash which could possibly leave you offer better off? Fashion yourself a homemade snoot or bounce card etc and you already have savings happening!

But yes...it is frustrating with such an expensive hobby...lucky your hobby isn't supercars though :P
06-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

by the way, that Snickers cat is really nice, I like him
and you have some great shots in your flickr stream
06-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link_1111 Quote
photography IS an expensive hobby (especially from a student that is racking up a massive uni loan!) but I compromised and went with the zenitar 16/2.8, sure its not UWA and it is a little bit fishy, but it is alot wider than all my other lenses and when stepped down a bit it is sharp.

I also found that you don't need to buy everything first hand esp since you have this great community and ebay (snatching up a great number of deals there but make sure you have self control!). I guess the thing is that for the same price as a limited prime you could fetch yourself some slower glass but also get a flash which could possibly leave you offer better off? Fashion yourself a homemade snoot or bounce card etc and you already have savings happening!

But yes...it is frustrating with such an expensive hobby...lucky your hobby isn't supercars though :P
LOL! Yes, there are more expensive hobbies out there! That helps put it in perspective. But I could also just be a sketch artist!

I do keep an eye on eBay for deals. That A/1.7 was a good deal and only about $60. It's an excellent lens and I'm glad to have it. At this time, though, I really want to start saving for that UWA purchase. (I have looked the Zenitar and the fishyness puts me off a bit, though I've heard it's a very fun lens.)

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
by the way, that Snickers cat is really nice, I like him
and you have some great shots in your flickr stream
Thank you so much, stanic! I will pass the compliment on to Snickers and thanks for looking at my photos! I'm glad you like some of them.
06-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'd love the DA 12-24 but I could never afford that!
It's worth looking out for the Samsung re-badged version of this lens if you're interested. From what I've seen they sell for much less that the Pentax version. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed that the Samsung version is an EXACT clone, even down to the element coatings.
06-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It never ends - there will always be another lens you've just "gotta have". I frequent an acoustic guitar forum online, and a lot of folks there are suffering from GAS pain - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome . The usual advice for this ailment is "more playing, less buying". You could apply that here, too. One of the evils of forums like these is that you become hyper-aware of all the latest/greatest goodies out there! But is sure is fun - hang in there & keep shooting - and keep an eye out for craigslist or Marketplace bargains on some great old affordable manual glass
06-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roliver Quote
It's worth looking out for the Samsung re-badged version of this lens if you're interested. From what I've seen they sell for much less that the Pentax version. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed that the Samsung version is an EXACT clone, even down to the element coatings.
Well if true, that would be great! Do the Samsungs work on Pentax dSLRs? I guess you'd need an adapter of some sort. Do you have a link to this lens?

Thanks very much for the tip!
06-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
It never ends - there will always be another lens you've just "gotta have". I frequent an acoustic guitar forum online, and a lot of folks there are suffering from GAS pain - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome . The usual advice for this ailment is "more playing, less buying". You could apply that here, too. One of the evils of forums like these is that you become hyper-aware of all the latest/greatest goodies out there! But is sure is fun - hang in there & keep shooting - and keep an eye out for craigslist or Marketplace bargains on some great old affordable manual glass
Thanks for the encouragement, Paul! Yeah, the forum is wonderful but then you keep reading about everyone's latest acquisitions and seeing their awesome photos.

By the way, as an aside, the forum really is wonderful. I mean that. I have felt welcomed and everyone has been so helpful and encouraging each time I have posted a question. It's a great place and I'm glad to have found it and to have "met" you all.