Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Q is here, will there also be a K-EVIL?

Now that the new Pentax Q had become reality, is there any evidence, rumor or news about a future K-mount EVIL camera coming this year?

06-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It occurred to me a few minutes ago that the reality of the Q, by extension, lends credibility to the accompanying rumours about an APS-C MILC in the pipeline. But here's the thing. If this mount is the Queen to accompany the King, what mount would the APS-C MILC be?

In other words, I now think that the APS-C MILC will indeed arrive in K mount, since their marketing would make no sense otherwise. Perhaps this is mount will be a modified K, with a shorter registration distance.
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me - NO. And APS-C EVIL - NO too.

ペンタックス、「PENTAX Q」の*表会を実施 - デジカメWatch
have a look at this presentation...
it's Pentax view at EVIL system...
06-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

did you really think they would talk about a future release when they are pushing a new release. they are marketing the Q, they won't discuss the apsc mount milc during that. there has been a lot of rumours from the same sources as the q came from stating an apsc enthusiast model later this year along with the Q. This will likely be the camera we are all waiting for as it is the one targeted at us. looking at the Q, I would bet the apsc model will have WR, magnesium body and K compatability
it will be bigger but that isn't all bad. I can picture a K5 in Milc clothes as the apsc model

06-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

This is a presentation for a new product. Why are you drawing conclusions that aren't there?
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My understanding, from online sources that accurately predicted the 1/2.3 Q is that there will be a K-mount mirrorless in late summer / autumn.

But at what price? If Pentax think they can ask US$800 for a PnS sensor, what about an APS-C body?!? $1,500??

Pentax have made such a serious screw-up with the Q pricing. Laughably stooopid.
06-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
My understanding, from online sources that accurately predicted the 1/2.3 Q is that there will be a K-mount mirrorless in late summer / autumn.

But at what price? If Pentax think they can ask US$800 for a PnS sensor, what about an APS-C body?!? $1,500??

Pentax have made such a serious screw-up with the Q pricing. Laughably stooopid.
Not so much, everybody is crying about the pricing of the Q, but when comparing to the pricing of a Ricoh GXR or a Canon G12, the difference is less ridiculous. Plus when the gadget novelty will fade out, I guess Pentax will lower the price.

Street price is most likel to be signicantly cheaper.

06-23-2011, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Not so much, everybody is crying about the pricing of the Q, but when comparing to the pricing of a Ricoh GXR or a Canon G12, the difference is less ridiculous. Plus when the gadget novelty will fade out, I guess Pentax will lower the price.

Why are you comparing the Q to a G12? The G12 at least has a viewfinder. That's a $250 (!!!) option on the Q.

A better comparison would be with the Olympus XZ-1.

So, let's see... the Oly has a larger sensor, a faster (F1.8-2.5) lens, longer zoom, is smaller (when the Q zoom is attached, rather than the normal prime).

The Oly costs $450 and the Pentax Q is asking $1,100 (with a free prime that does nothing better than the Oly lens). Would be interesting at half the price.
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Exactly what ghelary said. The USD$800 is the MSRP of the Q price, but I'll bet you USD$800 that when the Q is actually released, you will be able to buy the camera for less than that. Consider the case of the recently announced and soon to be released Sigma SD1, with an MSRP of US$10000. But even Sigma themselves have said that the USD$10k figure is only the MSRP and the street price would be lower, in the USD$7000 range, and B&H has listed it at USD$6899.

And even if you think the pricing is "laughably stooopid", guess what, you're talking about the Q and adding towards the mass of discussion about the Q. And the more discussion there is out there about the Q, even if it's about the high price, the more chance there is of people hearing and knowing about the Q, which in turn means more publicity for the Q.

Why are you comparing the Q to a G12? The G12 at least has a viewfinder. That's a $250 (!!!) option on the Q.
As mentioned above, the street price for the optical viewfinder for the Q will not actually be US$250, although I don't see it approaching the prices of comparable options currently available on the market, e.g. the external optical viewfinder for the Lumix LX-3 goes for about US$140, the external optical viewfinder for the Olympus E-P1 goes for about $100 and the one for the Sigma DP-1 goes for about US$120.

Personally though, I've got absolutely no interest in getting the Pentax Q myself.
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
juu
Veteran Member

Well, I think there will be a larger mirrorless camera from Pentax some time by the end of this year (shipping for Christmas, perhaps?).

However, whether it will be K-mount or not is the question. If K-mount, I suspect it could be a pellix/SLT like the new Sonys, as otherwise it makes no sense to keep the flange distance. That is the most likely scenario (80% likely).

In any case prepare for it to AF only SDM lenses and even those very slowly. And if it's not K-mount then I think they have an uphill battle on adoption and should have rather just joined m43/NEX/NX instead (whoever will take them).

K-mount with a shortened flange distance is very very very confusing and IMO won't happen.

I hope they make it weather resistant, in which case they have a real unique advantage.

Last edited by juu; 06-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My heart says yes, my head says no. 4 lens systems is likely 1 too many
06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I doubt we will see a K-EVIL, Pentax could have made a killing if it brought out a APS-C EVIL with K Mount, the LIMITED Lenses would have been perfect for it. :ugh:
06-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think same as Fujifilm's X100
06-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Yep the waiting list single lens aps c that for a time sold on ebay for up to a grand more than it retailed for some people were so desperate to get it. So why not a WR Magnesium alloy K-Evil with retro styling like say an mx with the K5 sensor. Easily sell for the first little while at 1500 IMO., that would be a cool little cam i'd buy instead of a K5
A semi pro Milc . Maybe with a Micro Mount k (smaller but the same, and an adaptor for the old K lenses and 3-4 nice primes and a couple of zooms at launch
06-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Except Fuji makes money from cameras, and Pentax makes money from lenses.