Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem Of Taking Picture Of Red Flower

I tried to take photos of red peony in my garden, all I got were contrast-less and washed-out pictures in spite of using various lenses and UV filters. There was no problem with white and lighter colored flowers. Therefore, the problem is in the camera's sensor (K-x and K-7). Is there a way I can overcome this problem.

06-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
could you please post the pic and some info of the camera settings

cheers
06-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You're likely overexposing the photos. Set your camera to Av, your EV compensation to -1 or so, and spot meter. You may have to play with the EV comp to get it right. Forget about filters unless there is some protection reason to have them on the lens.

2011 in Bloom - a set on Flickr

06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to the photography section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Digital sensors notoriously have trouble with bright red. As mentioned, exposure is tricky and filters don't help, so turn down the EV and bracket. In RAW development and/or PP, you may need to adjust the red channel and/or saturation, hue, contrast, all that stuff. Good luck!
06-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Also, can your monitor display the color properly? I know on my laptop reds get oversaturated compared to my external monitor, and both of them are color calibrated. Might be worth checking how it prints if that is your end goal.
06-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Like they say, "photos, or it didn't happened". Post some samples and people will be able to help more.

06-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I tried to take photos of red peony in my garden, all I got were contrast-less and washed-out pictures in spite of using various lenses and UV filters. There was no problem with white and lighter colored flowers. Therefore, the problem is in the camera's sensor (K-x and K-7). Is there a way I can overcome this problem.
First calibrate youe equipment(Monitor etc)
Then shoot in RAW and use a color card to calibrate your scenes.

Problem solved!

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.