Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Errr... I got the impression the OP was looking for suggestions that might help him (or her), NOT you...
Um... you wanted to know if I'd tried those settings, and if not, why not

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Other than 'dis' an approach that works very well for resting, standing and moving subjects, what specific suggestions do you have to offer that will help the OP?

Cheers...
Mine was the third response. And for the last time, your settings are for moving subjects. They are not, no matter how defiant you want to be about it, optimum for general shooting. If you like 'em, knock yourself out.

06-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevelink Quote
Greetings!
As a new K-5 owner, I want to achieve the most sharpness possible
-Hood (sometimes better than the originals needed)
-Tripod
-Remote control
-Mirror lock
-Lowest ISO
-Optimum/sharpest aperture for the each lens, for instance: Pentax SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Lab Test - Analysis , In this case f/4 wins.
-Perfect exposure
-Perfect focus
-Better lenses than DA's (like FA ltd's, especially 77mm)

That's about it.
07-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
just like to add one point to the list

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
-Hood (sometimes better than the originals needed)
-Tripod
-Remote control
-Mirror lock
-Lowest ISO
-Optimum/sharpest aperture for the each lens, for instance: Pentax SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Lab Test - Analysis , In this case f/4 wins.
-Perfect exposure
-Perfect focus
-Better lenses than DA's (like FA ltd's, especially 77mm)

That's about it.
-Better lenses than FA ltd's (like Pentax * lenses, for instance A*85mm)
08-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Greetings, and thanks for your expert advice! I'm curious as to how much a K-5 user typically needs to use the Custom AF Adjustment function. I find that some lenses require a major setting (-9 or +9) to correct front or back focus issues. (I'm a sharpness fanatic!) Thank you!

08-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Is there a method for adjusting the AF? I know where to go on the camera menus, but do people just take photos, on a tripod, of a still life or something at each setting and then "decide" which one is "most" focused? Do you need to do that for each lens?
08-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Greetings All. I appreciate all the excellent advice! Actually, I do practice techniques mentioned, and I always endeavor to use a good tripod/head, bracket exposures, use lens hood (even the Pentax eyepiece cover when necessary), and after doing some extensive testing with various lenses, Sharpness and AF Adjustment setting, have found that most of my lenses (DA 16-45, DA 50-200, DA* 55) are sharpest at AF "0"
Setting. However, the DA Limited 70 seems just a hair sharper at AF "-1". I would love to get the DA* 16-50 for its water-sealing (going to Pacific Northwest in the Fall), but read so many issues about SDM failures, and "bad copies", that I hesitate to make the jump. Also, the IQ I see from the DA 16-45 is so good that I wonder what the DA* optic would bring me, besides WR and constant f/2.8.
08-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ash,
Yes! That is precisely why I started this thread. I know proper technique, i.e., good tripod/head, exposure, low ISO, etc., but what I am "new" at, is the ability to AF Adjust the camera to one's lenses! I've since done more testing, and found that most of my lenses are sharpest at either AF "0" or "-1". My next dilemma, is deciding on taking the very nice but non-WR DA 16-45 f/4 to a "moist" climate like the Northwest, or biting the bullet and getting the DA* 16-55 f/2.8! (I've read that while it's extremely good optically, there have been some SDM issues with some copies.) Thanks again!

Last edited by stevelink; 08-27-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo