front glass

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a tough one. I really think the refund is unacceptable. This smudge you report has me even more concerned. It sounds like you might have fungus? Can you try to describe it more. Most fungus appears like a semi transparent 'tree' like structure. Sort of like frost on a window. I did a little Ebay research after my last post and there are several 400mm good quality lenses on right now. Sigmas, Vivitars and 2 Pentax versions. So this length is available. The price you paid seems to be at the average, so not a deal that would hurt to walk away from.

So I think at this point, with this smudge, the scratches and the poor refund, plus he's clearly lying. Nobody ownes a lens like this and doesn't know that there are issues. I'd go for a full refund including shipping and if he doesn't agree to that then I'd take it to Paypal and ask them for the full refund. Be aware though that it takes a minimum of 7 days to get a ruling and you most likely will not get the shipping back. Plus you will most likely have to pay to send the lens back to him. As I said make sure you use a service that requires a signature so that he can't say you didn't return it.

I'd also like to note that I've done over 600 transactions as a buyer and seller on Ebay. Only once did it go bad. So this kind of crap is not the norm. If you open a dispute on Paypal. DO NOT WRITE HIM unless he writes you first to respond to the dispute. If he does not respond, you automatically win the dispute including the shipping cost.
11-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Peter Zack above; take it to Paypal and as well as open up an dispute with ebay about it and go though the official channels.

Also, DO NOT delete any of the documentation, e.g. the email where he states the glass is 'perfectly clean', as it can give weight to your argument.
11-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow, I woke up sleepy and now I am AWAKE

I never even thought fungus b/c I have only seen full blown fugus pictures; it is a concern b/c this 2cm smudge clearly is not a finger print; but it has the characteristic look of a finger print' = smudge with detail; ridge and a squiggle; it has a 3rd appearance; wow

I am sending this creature back to its owner via UPS with Signature Requested with insurance and have UPS pack it to boot [I do not want any crazy story that I did not pack it right]

I really was afraid that I was being too-uptight; but you are right; people KNOW their gear, and he must have know this

I running out now to mail

Thanks!!

Last edited by rdrum76; 11-17-2007 at 08:23 AM.
11-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I hope you haven't sent this back yet. As POP4 said you have to follow the ebay/Paypal procedures first. Open a dispute on this sale unless he has agreed to a full refund with shipping already.
11-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

I have an ongoing email thread containing the specifics of the negotiation and his offer and my acceptance to return back with full refund and shipping costs; it is specifically laid out numerically. He even confirmed my acceptance to return the item; I should be good

However UPS will not get it there till Nov 27; so we will wait & see

If things get goofy; which it should not b/c UPS packed it and it is insured; what is the time period to initiate a dispute? Is it 30 days from date of sale??

thanks
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

that sounds fine. Once you get the tracking confirmation on the return then he should give you the refund the same day. If not then you take the case to Ebay/Paypal. So now just wait. I think you have 30 days but it might be worth a call to paypal or use the online chat/help with Ebay to confirm.

11-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

without everyone's help, I think I would have caved-in from lack of experience

Thanks again
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If he actually said "I never checked" in the original listing, that should have served as a monumental red flag to keep right on going and look elsewhere.

I've gambled on items up to about $20 or so, hoping for the best. Sometimes I come out ahead, sometimes I don't. But anything beyond that I want a little more assurance and peace of mind before I shell out my dough.
11-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
He asid he never checked AFTER the issue of scratches hit the fan ")
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdrum76 Quote
He asid he never checked AFTER the issue of scratches hit the fan ")
I misinterpreted it when you said"this seller did not even look at the lens upon selling it but stated, "my pictures have been good and I never bothered to check".

In that case, he's a duplicitous, lying s.o.b. who needs to be publicly horse-whipped.
11-21-2007, 03:29 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmmm, its the risk we all take isnt it... buying 2nd hand is always risky.. end of the day.. no one is doing you any favours when they sell something. everyone on ebay etc, is in it for themselves. we all live in a bitter twisted world with bitter twisted people that will, at times, say/ do anything for financial gain and happiness. hope the lense is ok.. i honestly dont know enough to say whether it is too scratched etc.. i hope its ok tho
kev
11-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am waiting for UPS to return it back on the 27th

Hopefully a quick refund!!

The scratches looked comestically horrible but IQ seemed ok for a couple of hours testing

What freaked me out, was seeing a smudge on the rear element; and being tipped off that it might be the beginning of a fungus issue

I will touch base after the 27th

I will bid more cautiously in the future :0

thanks
11-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Heh, lesson learned: Always make the seller describe the item as accurately as they can so you have proof of dishonesty on their behalf in cases such as this. Some will fein ignorance (albeit cunningly) and say they know nothing about lenses, so you need to tell them exactly what to look for and where. I hope this one has a happy ending for you.