Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Big Dawg. You and I go back a ways... you with your DX6490 and me with mine as well as my DX7590 (which I will not part with for anything... still love this little beauty). I entirely agree with the frustrations of an auto-only focus camera and the many times I was also at my whit's end to focus on something the darned camera would not allow. So I also welcome greatly the manual option which I sometimes use. My problem is that my eyes are not what they once were so I'm not always sure of the focus.

Question: do you use the regular focusing screen?

11-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #32
BPT
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
There are a LOT of times when the AF function is not precise enough. The AF sensors cover a fairly wide area, and unfortunately what they use as their focus point may not be what I want. If I'm taking a portrait I may want to focus on the eye instead of the nose. If the AF sensor covers both, it will most likely focus on the nose, not where I want the focus point to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm much more of an "early adopter" than I am a "luddite" but if I can have more precise control and do it just as quickly, (see the link I posted above in my other post for a way to get quick precise manual focus) why should I rely on something that doesn't do it as well as I can?

NaCl(like PDL said, it's all about control...precise control)H2O
One of the things I did to help with this was enable spot focusing (I think that is what it is called) Where you can select with the arrow keys which if the AF points is used. I did this because I missed a bunch of shots at birds in foliage.

I am going to try the link you posted earlier for MF techniques. I normally cant see enough detail to reliably focus manually normally. My eyes are good but the screen is small
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Please allow me to get out my soapbox.

If you want to "simulate" manual techniques with AF capabilites - de-couple the AF function from the shutter button. This is possible on all Pentax DSLR's.

On the K10D I use the AF button on the back (whooda thunk it).

Here is the rational - Use the OK/AF button just like when you focus manually. Once it is set - it usually stays there and on Pentax lenses, once the button is released it is easy to have a finger on the focus ring to do fine adjustments. So the overall workflow is very similar to the "good old days".
Focus on what "you want", set the exposure (can involve using the AE-L function), frame the image (compose) and shoot. Very similar to the ways of the old.

I agree that all this fuss about AF is distracting and if people who live and die by AF "speed" were handed a old all manual or even AP (aperature prefered) 35mm camera from the mid to late 70's - all their "creativity" would drain away. Welcome to the world of digital, where the computer in the camera makes more "creative" decisions that the computer behind the the viewfinder. Not to mention that they would have to advance the next frame manually - oh the humanity.

Remember - with AF - you can still be in control - break the AF/shutter button connection. Real photographers choose what is in focus - not the camera. AF is a very nice tool - but it is not a crutch - just take back control. If you need AF on the Shutter Button - put it back.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

This is something I am going to start experimenting with .... at the moment I have it set up as half press ... and I find sometimes ... the object i want in focus for some shots ... just isn't ... and then trying to get it right ... the camera hunts and hunts.

I like this idea indeed ... thanks for the excellent hint.
11-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #34

Hmmm...
Sounds like it's time for me to go back to the manual and read it over again. I too used to keep my finger next to the M/AF-C/AF-S lever and would switch to manual focus when I wanted to focus on something that was not in the center, or near one of the focus points. I still tended to use the auto focus to get the sharp focus on the item, but would then turn it off and attend to the composition.

Now it looks like I can decouple the focus from the button and use the AF button instead. Much more control. I like it.

11-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

JC,

Sorry that I never saw this post before. I just don't feel up to reading through 3 pages, so this may have been mentioned already.

I only have 2 AF lenses, which I hardly ever use these days. So you know what I prefer.

However I did a little trick for times when I'm having problems.

I turned on the BEEP. What happens with this feature is the camera beeps when it's in focus.

On the K100 it's Menu
Setup
and check the BEEP box.
At least in my case it always wants to center focus, so I usually focus, pan over and then shoot when the object is where I want it.

Have fun with it.
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

I turned on the BEEP. What happens with this feature is the camera beeps when it's in focus.
Little Laker, after some playing around with my camera, I figured out what you're talking about. I also have the 'beep' turned on my camera. So now I can manually focus with old M lenses and still know when it is most in focus (well, for the most part. The camera doesn't get it right all the time.... but this is more due to AF in general, not the lens).

QuoteQuote:
Welcome to the world of digital, where the computer in the camera makes more "creative" decisions that the computer behind the the viewfinder. Not to mention that they would have to advance the next frame manually - oh the humanity.
Hahaha... this just made my day.
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Very interesting thread - obviously stirred a few "sentiments" too.

To be honest I rarely consider manual focus, with the exception of low-light when the auto can sometimes hunt. I've found the autofocus on my GX10 (K10D) excellent for my particular requirements, never had any issues other than those in low light.

Out of interest though I plan to experiment a little more with manual

simon

11-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #38
Veteran Member

JC,

Sorry that I never saw this post before. I just don't feel up to reading through 3 pages, so this may have been mentioned already.

I only have 2 AF lenses, which I hardly ever use these days. So you know what I prefer.

On the K100 it's Menu
Setup
and check the BEEP box.
At least in my case it always wants to center focus, so I usually focus, pan over and then shoot when the object is where I want it.

Have fun with it.
Thanks for the tip Little Laker, i too prefer manual but then it suits the static subjects i like to shoot so speed of focus is a non issue. I remember you posted this before somewhere and i tried it....its BRILLIANT! lol. You get the quality of some of Pentax's classic glass with the accuracy of a modern AF if not better!
11-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I come from a manual exposure/manual focus background, 35mm Nikons, 645 Mamiya and 4x5 LF field cameras (I still use all of these although the 35mm have been gathering dust since aquiring the Pentax) yet tend to use my K10D in P mode with judicial use of the front and rear wheels. I am turning AF off more and more as it just doesn't perform to my expectations (try shooting a long jumper coming straight at you... much more reliable to pre-focus just like the old days) Decoupling the AF from the shutter release sounds like a good thing for how I use the camera but will leave it coupled for the wife who uses 'focus lock with a half press' all the time.
11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #40

I may be blind, but I can't find a reference in the K10D manual on how to decouple the AF from the shutter button.

Can someone provide steps on how to do this?

Thanks!
11-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #41
PDL
Pentaxian

It is not explicitly described in the manual - but if you look at pg 208 - the list of custom functions, you find:
item ------------------- default setting - reset setting - page - set it too
AF Button Function -- Enable AF ------- yes ------------- N/A --- yes
AF by Press Halfway- On --------------- yes ------------- N/A --- OFF

It is even better hidden in the *ist Ds - custom function:
Ok btn when shooting === pick option 3.

It's not like they make it easy to find, you have to look for it.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 11-29-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: changed format and added set it too
11-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #42

Thanks.

I guess the first time (and probably the only time) I went into the Custom menu, it was before I understood what that option was, and how it would work.

I appreciate the explanation.
11-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Hi Big Dawg. You and I go back a ways... you with your DX6490 and me with mine as well as my DX7590 (which I will not part with for anything... still love this little beauty). I entirely agree with the frustrations of an auto-only focus camera and the many times I was also at my whit's end to focus on something the darned camera would not allow. So I also welcome greatly the manual option which I sometimes use. My problem is that my eyes are not what they once were so I'm not always sure of the focus.

Question: do you use the regular focusing screen?
Yes I do...I push halfway and adjust the focus till the green light stays on then shoot..You remember how bad my eyes got before the cataracts were removed...They are better but still iffy.Anyway when the green light steadies I look again and if it appears focused I shoot. With F/stops above f/11 or so I still have trouble getting a sharp focus...But then again it won't let the auto focus work either...Manual focus is what I use almost exclusivly...I prefer it and am decent using it...Just my opinion and not meaning to say it is the right way or the only way just my way!! LOL As for the DX6490...It is being used by my son-in-law right now...But I refused to give it to him...I'll never give it away or throw it away...Too good a camera to lose!

Dawg

11-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #44

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JC,

On the K100 it's Menu
Setup
and check the BEEP box.

Have fun with it.
Also in the K10D menu...I have it enabled and for quick focusing it works great...Even will beep at f/11 and above!

Dawg
12-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I purchased my first DSLR (a used *ist DS) a few months ago. After shooting with the kit lens for about an hour or so, I replaced it with a series of K-Mount & screwmount prime Takumars from my Spotmatic arsenal.
I have been, & continue to this day, shooting with a variety of manual & zone focusing cameras for decades, utilizing the in-camera meter, separate external meters, sunny 16 rules, or a combination thereof. Partially habit, & partially a comfort level I enjoy by making my own decisions based on my photographic experiences & skills, leaves me with no desire to use my DSLR in any way other than manually. Manually adjusting focus & exposure (manual spotmeter mode) allows me to use my camera as a digital-back Spotmatic extension.
Using the camera as it was intended, in full power mode, makes me feel like an observer rather than a creative participant, not to mention the feeling of using an appliance as opposed to a camera. I look at cameras as a shutter & a lens. All else is superfluous to me.
P.S.- I also drive a manual transmission automobile, for some of the same reasons.