Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what are these necessary gear for commercial photography?

I mainly means product shoot. I am not major in photography. so I have to get help here.

I have pentax k-5 and 16-50. I think for camera it is enough for now...

I have two flash, two light stand, and radio triger. so here is fine too. Maybe need add another flash. but that is not a big deal.

then I have a backdrop stand with a green muslin....but I find it is not the right color for product shoot......so I need white or black??? but do people need backdrop for prodcut shoot?

My goal is to simulate those product AD we see in the magazine. you see their background color mostly are compeletly white or black. Is that done by photoshop or they shoot with that color screen behind???

What is their shooting surface. I mean where they put the product at??

and also those product in the AD has shadow. Is that done by photoshop or I do not know....I need pro to tell me...

any other necessary accessory I need to purchase??

Thanks for all help.............

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-29-2011 at 10:45 AM.
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If your products are not big (like a car or something), look for a product tent like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Light-Tent-Cube-ALZO/dp/B001710JXY
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks. i am also find stuff called shooting table. most are expensive. but i find one much less expensive on b&h.. will it do good job for me???

SP Studio Systems Desktop Shooting Table SPDST B&H Photo Video
06-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably... but I prefer the tent, only because itself can act as a big reflector and provide good even lighting.

06-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You haven't mentioned what kind of product photography. Different subjects and surfaces have different requirements. Often it's not just about adding lights but screening available light. Will there be models wearing, using or holding the products? Are you shooting on location or in a studio?

Learn your gear, how far you can push it before you go out and buy more. With practice you will both know what you need but what you enjoy shooting.

One good place to start learning, is looking at food photography blogs. There are some real lighting fanatics who have fixated on food and share their lighting techniques.
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I do shoot food.
What I want know is that many product AD their background is compeletly white or black. I think we can always see those kind of AD in magazine. so U know what I am talking about.

how they acheive that. by photoshop or just shoot against a black or white backdrop?

I have a green screen as I mentioned. so i try to keying out the green and replace with white or black color. that does not look that good as those AD...
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this was took tonight...this seems is the best shot i could got...my skill is limited.....want to improve to a higher level...

photoshop used.....