Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extended warranty's might not be honored. I went through this with a Gateway laptop I purchased for my daughter when she started college. I bought an extended warranty that covered it for 4 years. When Gateway was sold to Acer, the extended warranty became worthless. Even though Gateway sold the warranty, it was run by a third party who filed bankruptcy. Only the original factory warranty would be honored. Bad business in my opinion but they got away with it. I was fortunate that her laptop never needed further repair but others weren't as lucky.

07-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
But it is very possible they may trash the brand beyond recognition.
And just why would Ricoh do that? What would they gain? How would Ricoh's management and shareholders benefit by obliterating Pentax? Please tell us!

A VERY LARGE market leader may buy a smaller competitor, sucking-dry the victim's technology and assets, and casting aside the husk -- that happens. And profit-taking firms buy tech companies, ditto. But Ricoh isn't a market leader, isn't known as a parasite, is seeing its business product sales declining, and has acquired an established name. Buying and strengthening Pentax puts Ricoh in position to *become* a market leader before long.

What I expect: The RICOH name will go on business products and the PENTAX name will go on consumer products (with RICOH CORP on the bottom sticker). And more such consumer products will flow into the marketplace. Anything else just doesn't make sense, and won't reward Ricoh for their investment.
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But Ricoh isn't a market leader...is seeing its business product sales declining...
Which indicates, maybe they aren't being run as well as they could, or should, be, which spells a lot of uncertainty. I'm not predicting doom and gloom here. But I'm not expecting sunshine and butterflies either. If they give the needed funds, and don't stick their hands into it too much, things may be ok. If they try to micro-manage and force things to be done the "Ricoh" way and just slap the Pentax name on it, I think not so much.
07-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got my K-5 a couple of weeks ago. Had this announcement come first, I'd probably have a Nikon D7000 now. That said, the K-5 is a d*mn fine camera that continues to amaze me with its image quality and handling.

07-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of interesting points...

Thanks for everyone's input.

As long as my K-5 works (and if it stops working, the warranty work will be honored and be successful) I am good. As much as I would like to think that it will operate correctly beyond three years, I would be fooling myself to be so wishful. I probably won't be pumping more money into any camera-related things right now anyway. But overall I am impressed with the K-5, and (at least from a distance) the other Pentax offerings.

A lot of people here know a lot more about the Pentax and Hoya histories, and now Ricoh related history than I. As I said in another post somewhere else, my only experience with Ricoh was an ill-fated Mirai SLR in the late 80's / early 90's. I am sure that most everyone has a camera (or anything else) horror story of disgust for purchasing a lemon. The problem for me was that the handwriting was on the wall and I didn't recognize it. Way too complicated under the guise of innovaton.

Flash to present day and I see the same thing with the Ricoh GXR. I think that if the Pentax arm somehow has to assume the responsibility for that particular model, its peculiarities, and that direction for a mirrorless flagship model, then I am concerned. I just don't see it as a viable direction for mirrorless. At least the Q seems much more directly pointed at the competition. The GXR seems to be directly pointed at the consumer's unwitting pocket book. Funny how a camera manufacturer can lose focus.
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I got my K-5 a couple of weeks ago. Had this announcement come first, I'd probably have a Nikon D7000 now. That said, the K-5 is a d*mn fine camera that continues to amaze me with its image quality and handling.
that would be a bold move to have chosen another system. Pentax and the Kmount aren't going anywhere. they didn't when Hoya bought them, and Hoya had no interest in the camera division. now they are owned by a company that cares ONLY about the camera division. Pentax isn't going anywhere.
07-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
But Ricoh isn't a market leader...is seeing its business product sales declining...
Which indicates, maybe they aren't being run as well as they could, or should, be, which spells a lot of uncertainty.
I should have phrased that as, "Ricoh isn't THE market leader", that is, they don't dominate business systems sales. But they're up there in a cutthroat market. And that bothersome global recession does maybe affect all makers of imaging stuff, yes?

07-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. I'm still going to try to swing the Pentax 55-300 AF lens soon or something similar for my K-x regardless. I'm not giving up on Pentax, period. I'd probably buy a K5 down the road if I could afford it even if they stopped making any more Pentax DSLR's. Eventually I do want to have a K5 or the later equivalent and my K-x actually. If Ricoh stopped making Pentax K mount cameras at all I'd be ticked, but I'd probably just continue buying Pentax bodies used as I need them for as long as I could. If I couldn't get any more after a long while I guess I'd go to Nikon after that but not Canon, I don't think.
07-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Which indicates, maybe they aren't being run as well as they could, or should, be, which spells a lot of uncertainty.
Maybe. Or maybe the market is changing - and Ricoh is reacting to such changes, by e.g. buying Pentax
07-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #40
Banned

I've been tempted to switch to Nikon in the past. I like their AF and flash systems. I've been very close a couple of times. When I told my wife about the buyout the first thing she asked was if I was going to switch finally switch to Nikon after threatening to do so for so long. While tempted, I'm sticking around here unless something drastic happens. All I had to do was look at my limiteds and the decision was made. I'm taking a wait and see attitude.
07-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Maybe. But the bottom line is, it all
spells a lot of uncertainty.
07-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #42
Site Supporter

I'm wondering how this will effect the local distributors. In Australia, as an example, CR Kennedy are the distributors and control the "Pentax Australia" site while not being Pentax themselves.
Ricoh have a dedicated Ricoh Australia presence and office.
07-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Not at all, because it won't change the brand name.

However, as for the product quality, I can only hope. I mean based on what everyone's been saying, it seem as though there was nowhere left to go but upward following the acquisition.
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

"Will Ricoh buy out influence your Pentax purchase?"

Not in the slightest.
07-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just bought this Pentax after hearing about Ricoh taking over... so what's the big deal?