Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will Ricoh buy out influence your Pentax purchase?

Given the recent news I am wondering how prospective and new Pentax owners feel about purchasing or returning items.

I just recently bought a K-5 that was delivered today. I can't wait to get home and open it up and play with it. Of course I have 30 days to return it for any reason whatsoever.

I am also considering selling my Nikon current model P & S while I can still get decent coin for it. Present day I may only lose about $90 USD on the $300 purchase price.

I am not sure how much the Ricoh buy out news will affect my decision for keeping the K-5 if it seems like a sturdy flawless unit. But I was also considering moving from the Nikon P & S to a K-r. I could even make sure the K-r gets it's minor bugs worked out as best is possible by sending it in for warranty work if necessary.

Which brings me to my next question. B & H sells affordable extended warranties for the K-5 and K-r but are "Out of Stock." Does anyone suspect that Ricoh may have something to do with the availability of those warranties?

07-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No influence on me at the time. I'm waiting for future announcements, so that would mean waiting till october.
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the Ricoh purchase has influenced anything yet. Japanese companies move slowly and the acquisition cannot possibly have influenced the extended warranty policy at this point.

Enjoy your K-5, it is a great camera!
07-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm going to wait and see, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Pentax went in a great direction under Hoya (despite the doom and gloom predictions that time around).

I notice the Ricoh's hotshoe flash offerings are pretty lame, which is a disappointment.

07-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I came close to buying a K-5 this week - completely unaware that the sale of Pentax's camera unit was about to be announced. In the end, I picked up a DA 21mm Limited and held off on the K-5, as I had been waiting for the price to come down further. I found out about the sale after I made that decision.

I would have very likely waited until October anyway to pull the trigger on the K-5 and this news just reinforces that. I am hoping that Ricoh will make some sort of statement to reassure Pentaxians worldwide once they close on the deal. And - I'll say this again - a serious lens roadmap by the end of the year would be really great. As of right now, I am cautiously optimistic... and I still plan to buy a K-5.
07-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Which brings me to my next question. B & H sells affordable extended warranties for the K-5 and K-r but are "Out of Stock." Does anyone suspect that Ricoh may have something to do with the availability of those warranties?
I don't see the SageMax warranties as out of stock. I just put a K-5 and a 3 year warranty in my cart.

NEW 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan SCC3-1250 B&H Photo Video

But I don't see why third party warranties would be impacted by the status of the original manufacturer. These warranty sellers bet your stuff won't break and profit, probably handsomely from it. I don't know the specifics of SageMax warranties, but if parts become unavailable for repair then they'll have to compensate you.
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It was a Pentax warranty not SageMax

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
I don't see the SageMax warranties as out of stock. I just put a K-5 and a 3 year warranty in my cart.

NEW 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan SCC3-1250 B&H Photo Video

But I don't see why third party warranties would be impacted by the status of the original manufacturer. These warranty sellers bet your stuff won't break and profit, probably handsomely from it. I don't know the specifics of SageMax warranties, but if parts become unavailable for repair then they'll have to compensate you.
Here is the link. I think that the Pentax K-7 warranty might still be available. Strange. And as someone mentioned in another section - It is just a piece of paper, how could it be "Out of Stock?"

Pentax Two-Year Extended Warranty for the K5 and KR 80227 B&H

07-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is the link. I think that the Pentax K-7 warranty might still be available. Strange. And as someone mentioned in another section - It is just a piece of paper, how could it be "Out of Stock?"

B&H send a special warranty card when you purchase. That card may be out of stock. I've two or three of them.
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Strange. And as someone mentioned in another section - It is just a piece of paper, how could it be "Out of Stock?"
It's a lie. The underwriter (that's who issues warranties) doesn't want to be encumbered with any further claims. So they tell the producers (that's who sells warranties) to say that the product (that's the warranty) is no longer available. The underwriter can't just cancel coverage on a whim -- regulatory agencies are involved. But they can suspend sales of existing products. So the dealer says, "Sorry, don't got none" and the customer (that's us) feels the screw turn a bit further...
07-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's a lie. The underwriter (that's who issues warranties) doesn't want to be encumbered with any further claims. So they tell the producers (that's who sells warranties) to say that the product (that's the warranty) is no longer available. The underwriter can't just cancel coverage on a whim -- regulatory agencies are involved. But they can suspend sales of existing products. So the dealer says, "Sorry, don't got none" and the customer (that's us) feels the screw turn a bit further...
No, no, no. Those warranties have occasionally been out of stock since the time that they were first offered. It is indeed an issue of having the correct cards/paperwork. The underwriter only sends the retailer a certain amount at a time. No reason to panic.
07-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ahh, that's an actual Pentax warranty. In that case, just pick it up from someone who actually has it in stock.

Amazon.com: Pentax DSLR K Series 2-Year Extended Warranty: Electronics
80227 Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K5, KX and KR Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

You just need to do it within 30 days I believe.
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It probably means I will upgrade from a K10D to a K-5, just in case it's the last good body Pentax makes.
07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It probably means I will upgrade from a K10D to a K-5, just in case it's the last good body Pentax makes.
My thinking as well.......
07-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't think it will have much influence on me until I see additional official announcements.

The buyout should have no effect on my next planned purchase: the upcoming O-GPS1 module due for mid-July release. I hope Pentax is on time with that for summertime astrophotography.

Longer term, a 500mm lens or a wide zoom are on my shopping list. Or, more accurately, my wife's shopping list when my birthday rolls around Ricoh will hopefully announce a lens roadmap before then so I know whether to go with Sigma, Pentax, or wait for new Pentax/Ricoh glass.
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

The Q has a bigger influence on my decision. I had been waiting on a pentax mirrorless and had high hopes, but the thought that Pentax thought the Q was somehow a good idea makes me think they are too out of touch. It would make sense however to announce such a high risk product before announcing the sale. It gives you the chance to judge consumer reaction to the product and kill it if its bad, then blame Hoya to save face. So, if Ricoh kills the Q then I may still go with Pentax when a good mirrorless is released. If they keep the Q however, I have grave fear for the future of the brand and cannot risk buying into the system.