Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

Best Categories For My Photos

So I'm a little bit of a neat freak. I'm new and wanna keep my photos organized from the start. I am setting up my flickr account and wanna keep the same organized structure.

Any suggestions for the best categories for organizing your photos?

07-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Some possibilities:

Good, bad, ugly.
People, places, things.
Animals, vegetables, minerals.
Sacred, secular, sexy.
Active, inactive, dead.

Something like that.
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start with Sets

Rolleiman2007's photosets on Flickr

then put them into collections.

Rolleiman2007's collections on Flickr

There really isn't much else you Can do.

07-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
I like how there are sets and collections. Unfortunately the script I plan to use to show my flickr photos on my site only shows sets. I'll have to see if there is a way to adjust that...

07-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe free Flickr accounts are limited to three sets. Pro accounts have unlimited sets and collections - a collection contains either sets or other collections, sadly not both.
07-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very Nice in every way.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Start with Sets

Rolleiman2007's photosets on Flickr

then put them into collections.

Rolleiman2007's collections on Flickr

There really isn't much else you Can do.

Great pictures and great way to keep things nice and neat. I'm using lightroom to try and get things in order. Getting a grasp on labels and so on is difficult. Most times, simple is better.
07-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Great pictures and great way to keep things nice and neat. I'm using lightroom to try and get things in order. Getting a grasp on labels and so on is difficult. Most times, simple is better.
Thank you.. I came up with the naming system because I got tired of digging into EXIFs to find which lens I used (which isn't always accurate). Especially when I wanted to post something done with a specific lens here. For the most part I can remember when I took a photo and what I did but with the filenames I use, I know at a glance, which camera, which lens, project (if it is specific), and when it was taken. The sets are set up mainly by the way I might want to find the photos again and the reason for finding them is usually for posting Here.

On the hard drive and the backups, things are just laid out by Year/Month/Day as they come off of the camera. I don't use Lightroom so organizing into sets like that is more of a manual process I don't care to undertake. One could pick a main criteria (lens for instance) and let lightroom build the libraries for each lens. I've never learned to use the program for organizing though and there are probably a lot more things you can do with it than that.