Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What made Hoya sell Pentax?

Just 3 years old acquisition and in this period Pentax brand has really picked up against competition with k-x & later k-5 success. So what made Hoya sell Pentax?

07-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They never really wanted them that badly- from what I read, all they were after were some patents. Furthermore, the CEO got yelled at for spending so much on the acquisition ($1b as far as I remember), and he was told that this was a "mistake".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They never really wanted them that badly- from what I read, all they were after were some patents. Furthermore, the CEO got yelled at for spending so much on the acquisition ($1b as far as I remember), and he was told that this was a "mistake".
That pretty much sums it up Yeah, from all accounts Hoya primarily acquired Pentax for the medical imaging division and related patents. I believe they always intended to sell off the camera division at some point. That point seems to be now
07-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

IIRC, their motivation for buying pentax was for the medical imaging stuff. I believe that Hoya retained that and pushed off the consumer oriented cameras to Ricoh.

07-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

No surprise really. The Wikipedia info on Hoya should pretty much explain why.
Hoya Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-02-2011, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
No surprise really. The Wikipedia info on Hoya should pretty much explain why.
Hoya Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, thats what I thought too.

If you want your picture taken by a HOYA-PENTAX, bend over. And hope that they kept the diminutive limited model.

Personally, I will try to stay in the RICOH-PENTAX market.

Last edited by mikemike; 07-02-2011 at 05:27 AM.
07-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hoya have no expertise in digital camera development and manufatcure....

07-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the medical division is pretty big and profitable, much more than the camera business, and they didn't sell it
07-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

It was technically a merger and know Hoya is having to split out the part they want to divest into a second company. I think all the so-call yelling that Hoya did over spending too much was just High Japanese Drama to set the current stage so they don't come off looking like corporate raiders.

Lastly, it isn't a done deal. It will be interesting to see if Ricoh has the $124 million or just enough for a cup of coffee. By Oct 1, Ricoh maybe taken over by Holga.
07-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hoya doesn't do retail.. at least not well... The "Hoya" filters are really a sham, It's hoya glass and maybe a tiny bit of R&D but mostly 3rd party assembly/distribution ect.

Hoya's core philosophy is to be a big fish in a small pond.. Cameras DO NOT fit that philosophy. Only credit I give hoya is (I assume mostly cultural since collapsing Pentax camera would be a black eye to their history. An oddity for an american company, sop for Japanese apparently. western businessmen, don't think about it too much ) the fact they didn't fold it hours after acquiring what they wanted...........

tokina/hoya/Pentax/kenko are interwoven in cultural ways not easily understood by "western" business philosophy.
07-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Lastly, it isn't a done deal. It will be interesting to see if Ricoh has the $124 million or just enough for a cup of coffee. By Oct 1, Ricoh maybe taken over by Holga.
doubt if cash or credit is out of reach. Japanese banks are still running close to zero interest I believe (haven't checked in awhile).

Ricoh Company, Ltd.
Date of Establishment February 6, 1936
Head Office Ricoh Building, 8-13-1 Ginza,
Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8222 Japan
Map
Representative Directors

Shiro Kondo
President and CEO

Zenji Miura
Deputy president, CSO, CFO and CIO

The board
Capitalization 135.3 billion yen (as of March 31, 2011)
Consolidated Net Sales 1,942.0 billion yen (Year ended March 31, 2011)
Number of Consolidated Campanies 234 companies (as of March 31, 2011)
Main Business

<Imaging and Solutions>

[Imaging Solutions]
Digital/analog copiers, MFPs (multifunction printers), laser printers, facsimile machines, digital duplicators, related supplies and services, related softwares.

[Network System Solutions]
PCs, servers, and related services, support and supplies.

<Industrial Products>

Thermal media, optical equipments, semiconductors, electronic components and measuring equipment.

<Other>

Digital cameras, etc.
Number of Employees 109,014 (on consolidated basis, as of March 31, 2011)

http://www.ricoh.com/about/company/data/corporate_profile/ricoh_2010_en.pdf
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Are the same people who engaged in wailing and gnashing of teeth back when Hoya bought Pentax the same people who are engaging in wailing and gnashing of teeth now that Hoya is selling Pentax? Inquiring minds want to know.
07-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I think the medical division is pretty big and profitable, much more than the camera business, and they didn't sell it
I'm a physician. You would not believe how inflated prices are for anything that is used for medical purposes, which means that profits are enormous. Even taking into account the costs of development, the prices are obscene. That is why Hoya was more interested in Pentax Medical than Pentax Imaging.

Rob
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
doubt if cash or credit is out of reach. Japanese banks are still running close to zero interest I believe (haven't checked in awhile).

Ricoh Company, Ltd.
Date of Establishment February 6, 1936
Head Office Ricoh Building, 8-13-1 Ginza,
Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8222 Japan
Map
Representative Directors

Shiro Kondo
President and CEO

Zenji Miura
Deputy president, CSO, CFO and CIO

The board
Capitalization 135.3 billion yen (as of March 31, 2011)
Consolidated Net Sales 1,942.0 billion yen (Year ended March 31, 2011)
Number of Consolidated Campanies 234 companies (as of March 31, 2011)
Main Business

<Imaging and Solutions>

[Imaging Solutions]
Digital/analog copiers, MFPs (multifunction printers), laser printers, facsimile machines, digital duplicators, related supplies and services, related softwares.

[Network System Solutions]
PCs, servers, and related services, support and supplies.

<Industrial Products>

Thermal media, optical equipments, semiconductors, electronic components and measuring equipment.

<Other>

Digital cameras, etc.
Number of Employees 109,014 (on consolidated basis, as of March 31, 2011)

http://www.ricoh.com/about/company/data/corporate_profile/ricoh_2010_en.pdf
Well, I know about the History of Ricoh and most of the Japanese and German Companies and the founding date doesn't mean much.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Hoya doesn't do retail.. at least not well... The "Hoya" filters are really a sham, It's hoya glass and maybe a tiny bit of R&D but mostly 3rd party assembly/distribution ect.

Hoya's core philosophy is to be a big fish in a small pond.. Cameras DO NOT fit that philosophy. Only credit I give hoya is (I assume mostly cultural since collapsing Pentax camera would be a black eye to their history. An oddity for an american company, sop for Japanese apparently. western businessmen, don't think about it too much ) the fact they didn't fold it hours after acquiring what they wanted...........

tokina/hoya/Pentax/kenko are interwoven in cultural ways not easily understood by "western" business philosophy.
I regard Hoya from the optical side of things as a provider of optical glass raw materials and blanks. As far as retail, no one really expects them to do retail directly but at least distribute to a retail system of some sort which in the U.S. is predominantly BH, Adorama, Abe's, Amazon and Pentax Imaging. Those probably account for 99% of the retail of Pentax bodies and lenses in the U.S. at present.

Last edited by Blue; 07-02-2011 at 02:37 PM.
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Are the same people who engaged in wailing and gnashing of teeth back when Hoya bought Pentax the same people who are engaging in wailing and gnashing of teeth now that Hoya is selling Pentax? Inquiring minds want to know.
Anytime a company of this type changes hands, it is wise to pay attention to the outcome. While the Pentax legacy is there, it is a different company than it was 25 years ago as is Ricoh. I don't even think I commented on the Hoya merger other than I wondered how that would effect Pentax (in a positive way) about access to glass blanks for special lens development. To be honest, I am surprised Samsung did not end up with Pentax.