Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PEF and Mac

Does anyone know how to get iphoto to recognize the .pef raw format used by the K100D Super?
Even if I convert it to DNG, it does not work...

Perhaps this is corrected in iphoto 08? I have version 6.06

How about Aperture 1.5.6? Can that import pef?

Thanks for any advice

11-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #2

I have the K10D and Iphoto 8 and it loads the .pef files fine. It worked with Tiger and it works now with Leopard. As far as I know, the .pef files are the same for both cameras. I will do a bit of Googling and see if there is any info for you.

I can't remember if my copy of Iphoto 6 would load the .pefs or not.
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #3

Apparently the file format is different enough for the K100D super that is not supported by Apple yet. I did find that it is supported by Adobe Camera Raw 4.3 plugin. So you would be able to convert them to a dng format that Iphoto could read.

I can't test it because I do not have access to a K100D Super .pef file.

There is only one catch with this solution and that is the Camera Raw 4.3 plugin only works with Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Photoshop CS3 and greater.

Hopefully, Apple will include the K100D Super in a future update.
11-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Brian,

I guess I can either shoot jpg or convert them with Pentax's software while I wait for an Apple update...

11-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #5

It looks like that is the only option at the moment. I found out when I did the searches that the Raw interpretation is done by the OS and not the applications in the case of Iphoto and Aperture (Mac Applications). I found one site that talked about hacking the system file that controlled the cameras that the system recognized but that file no longer exists in Leopard so I could not even look at it.

I understand from this fellows article that there is a list of Pentax (and other makers) models and if you could add the super to the list you could get it to recognize the format.

The article is here OK1000 Pentax Blog: Waiting for Aperture and iPhoto Support: Modified Resources for Pentax *ist DSLRs

Good luck if you try it. It seems to depend on which version of the OS you have.
11-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
BrianK,

I think that file no longer is in there, as you suspect. I tried several times to make that hack work, but decided it was no longer worth the effort. I can shoot jpg, or convert using Pentax lab or some other method.

Thanks for your advice!
12-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FWIW, Aperture 1.56 works with .PEF's from my K10.