Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: The sky: falling?
Yes, for real this time. Come, Ducky Lucky, we must tell the king! 33.00%
I dunno about the sky, but Pentax/Ricoh's chances don't look good. 55.00%
I'm cautiously optimistic — Ricoh has good intentions, even if it'll be hard. 6262.00%
Actually, this is good news! Things are looking up now. 3030.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the sky falling?

Just checking.

07-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Run to the caves! To the caves!
On the second thought, I'd rather not...
07-02-2011, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that Ricoh cares more about the Pentax photo business than Hoya ever did. I can't find the downside here.
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"We'd like to nurture the consumer business to exceed 100 billion yen (in sales) over the three years," Ricoh President Shiro Kondo said at a news conference in Tokyo.

The company is considering integrating its own camera business into the subsidiary, he said.

In the domestic digital camera market from January to June this year, Hoya ranked eighth with a share of 4.7 percent, followed by Ricoh with a share of 2.4 percent, according to research firm BCN Inc.

Meanwhile, Hoya plans to concentrate its management resources on medical equipment after selling the Pentax-brand business, while keeping the brand name for its endoscope and other products.

The value for the acquisition has not been decided and the companies have no plan to disclose the price, Kondo said.

nuff said.........

Hoya to sell Pentax-brand camera business to Ricoh in Oct. - The Mainichi Daily News

07-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There's like too many Ricoh threads in Forums: dslrs, general photography and news forums, but in any case, i spent an hour looking thru Ricoh's website and am convinced this is a good deal for Pentax cam owners. this is a quote of my post elsewhere:

QuoteQuote:
Financial Highlights / Investor Relations | About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Ricoh has run into the same global recession that the rest of the world has. But they've hung in there, paid a dividend to investors every year, and 2010 showed a 2.9% return on investment which was better than 2009 when they showed a 0.6% return on investment.

About Ricoh Americas Corporation

One big benefit to Ricoh is their sales network. I searched for Direct Sales (business services - ok) and found 6 sites within Washington State, one just 3 miles from me. I realize that business sales are not consumer sales, but still, if Ricoh chose to display their dslrs in their business sales offices, it might do a lot for Pentax dslr sales.

Ricoh is truly a global company in its networks, sales and service. They have about a 1/2 billion yen in sales to USA, 1/2 billion to Europe, 8 plus billion in Japan, and 1.2 billion yen sales in many other countries combined.

So what Ricoh offers Pentax is a global network. They are out there selling printers and business solutions around the world and have survived the recession. Why are they buying Pentax now? I think its because you find bargains at the bottom of the recession. Hoya paid 1 billion for Pentax and sold the non-medical camera portion of Pentax to Ricoh for 124 million. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Second thing that Ricoh offers Pentax, is that because Ricoh already manufactures compact cameras, and manufactures a lot of printers, there is a synergy between the electronic/programming technology that Ricoh works with and Pentax needs for its cameras. That synergy and depth was not there in the Hoya relationship. Also note that Pentax is still within the Japanese industry "family" so there is a loyalty there to Pentax
I think Hoya tried, but it just wasn't the fit that Pentax needed.
07-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sky? Blue, as it always has been.
Pentax? Niche, as it always has been.
Seeing it continually plod on producing cameras, lenses, new photographic systems amidst the unquenchable pessimism? Priceless, as it always has been.
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I believe that Ricoh cares more about the Pentax photo business than Hoya ever did. I can't find the downside here.
Yes, that is how I feel too. I really hope this works out well for both companies.

07-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No, i believe in the past few years the Pentax brand is being noticed once again especially here in North America.
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The sky? Blue, as it always has been.
Pentax? Niche, as it always has been.
Seeing it continually plod on producing cameras, lenses, new photographic systems amidst the unquenchable pessimism? Priceless, as it always has been.
And yet looking at the poll results so far, I'm detecting an unexpectedly overwhelming degree of optimism!
07-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither news, nor rumor.
07-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #11

Looks like I can haul out my 1950's Ricohflex (Twin lens, 120 film camera) and feel like a Ricoh/Pentax insider regardless of what the company name might be.
07-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in a wait and see mode. It will depend on whether or not Ricoh decides to streamline its two photo divisions and replace a proven Pentax team with its own. Ricoh has dabbled in SLRs in the past and not done well. Their current camera lineup is not exciting. We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pentax brand disappear. Remember Konica? Minolta? Great brands in their day. You can put some of their old lenses on a Sony now.
07-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pentax brand disappear. Remember Konica? Minolta? Great brands in their day. You can put some of their old lenses on a Sony now.
Yes.. but... remember...
Konica was a very diversified Brand Name. One could argue too diluted. It was used in Copiers, Lab products, Printers, Cameras, Film Stock, etc etc.
Minolta was also well known, but I wouldn't say "main stream".
And then they merged.
And then Sony bought the remnants of a Camera Division (after the other product streams where discontinued) - a *much* stronger brand name than *either*. And they *openly* stated they where buying it up to move the Sony name into the still-camera market...

Its a little different with this scenario... In fact it shares very little in common (other than being a Camera company...) so don't use the Konica-Minolta-Sony story as a basis for predicting Pentax's future.. given Pentax *is* a stronger brand name than Ricoh.. in the very area Ricoh state they wish to expand.

Ricoh don't care to expand the Ricoh name (as has been shown through their numerous OTHER acquisitions) - Rather, they are interested in expanding the Ricoh BUSINESS....
07-03-2011, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

If the sky is falling, good thing Pentax gear is weather-sealed!
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #15

When uncertain, when in doubt; run in circles, scream and shout for a full frame camera.