Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to shoot by candle light?

Hello!

I've been getting really into soft focus, low key, type photography. I am going to be doing a shoot with a model in the next few weeks that is going to lit entirely by candle light. I am shooting for an end result that is very dark and atmospheric, and ultimately I want it to look as much like an oil painting as possible.

Or, I want to shoot it and light it in such a way that it resembles an oil painting that is. I do not want to add a bunch of cheesy digital effects, I want to shoot in conditions that give it that sort of look and feel.

Any tips for how to maximize my success here?

07-02-2011, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Low power red laser pointer (smth like tiny keychain you can get at 1$ stores or a gas station) gives a perfect focus even in a complete darkness.

MAKE SURE you are not pointing in the eyes!!!

Set your camera on a tripod, click on the pointer, put the red dot at the desired distance (I prefer body or clothing), prefocus the camera, click off the pointer, frame the subject and shoot.

With non-human/animal subjects easy to do with one hand (right for me) even w/o tripod. Hold the camera with your left hand, put the pointer next to the pentaprizm and use your right index finger to turn the pointer on/off, prefocus and shoot. Worked great in caves.

Practice your moves with a dim table lamp brfore working with live models. Good luck!
07-02-2011, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I've been drawn to that kind of low key lighting, too. Candle light is nice but candles don't provide much illumination. A low power flash or flood with an orange filter to add to the candles is one solution. Make sure the light comes from the same direction and general location as the candle. Just hide the extra light so it looks like the candle is providing the illumination.

I've been playing around with led video lights and gels as well as directional flash. Directional is the key word. Light softeners like umbrellas or soft boxes tend to weaken shadows rather than enhance them. You want a dark environment and a strong light direction.

Not candle light but along the same lines:
07-02-2011, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking for some stuff to muck around with using some Gels a few months back, and shot a few frames like this:

If I redid them, I'd drag the shutter a little longer to get some more ambient glow on the candles.. I'd also fix the WB in the pics I posted lol...

To help with focus, I used a Torch...
A tripod of course is a must if there was no strobes - but I ended up shooting this at Flash-Sync so it would have worked hand held as well...

Quickest way to 'get close' would be set to Spot Meter, center over the 'warm glow' you want to capture, and then take a shot and chimp it.... adjust as necceasry...
Using the "Green Button" setup to TV Shift in Manual could be a rapid way to knock in a 'first pass' and then easily adjust things as needed...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some useful tips and advice. Let me add a suggestion to the above.

In very low light conditions, do consider to use Manual Focus (MF). It may take a few trials but you can get some excellent results using MF. You may consider to read the thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/146443-manual-f...we-afraid.html

There are some worthwhile inputs from experienced Pentaxians on MF.

Hope that the comment will help...
07-02-2011, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
Hello!

I've been getting really into soft focus, low key, type photography. I am going to be doing a shoot with a model in the next few weeks that is going to lit entirely by candle light. I am shooting for an end result that is very dark and atmospheric, and ultimately I want it to look as much like an oil painting as possible.

Or, I want to shoot it and light it in such a way that it resembles an oil painting that is. I do not want to add a bunch of cheesy digital effects, I want to shoot in conditions that give it that sort of look and feel.

Any tips for how to maximize my success here?
I think the technique is pretty straight forward actually.
I dabbled in candle light photography awhile back and found that it was pretty easy to work with. However, if I had to do it again, I think I'd shoot in higher key and control the ambient lighting in post. This way, you get a leaner shadow regions and better overall control.

Other than that, its just a matter of reflecting the light( to fill ) according to your needs and if memory serves, I think I used a very small fill light as well( to pick up shadows).

A few examples;

07-03-2011, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are speaking in terms of the candle being the light source so I can't help you there. I have only taken one photo as the candle being the subject matter.

07-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hey thanks for all the advice. +rep all around. I only have the on camera flash, I spoke to a photographer who had shot some shots with only candles and his work turned out REALLY well. I am going to use several candles and a reflector. Hopefully that works well.