Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ricoh buying Pentax?

Needless to say I was a little shocked that Pentax was sold. Now was the entire company (all photography aspects or certain areas of the Photography only?). Also, as part of the sale, will Pentax be allowed to keep the name "Pentax" or will we have the Pentax name totally disappear in favor of Ricoh name on all products (I hope not, I still wish Konica-Minolta was still around/even though I like Sony cameras also)? Don't get me wrong, Ricoh makes a very good camera (there P&S cameras are very good). In the 80's I had a Ricoh point and shoot 35mm camera that was great. Just was a little shocked from the sale that is all. Now I will have to rush out and get a Pentax camera before the name disappears.

Take Care and May God Bless!

Ed

07-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy intoned, "Don't Panic." When Hoya bought Pentax, Chicken Littles were running everywhere on the forums. Even with Hoya really only interested in the medical side of the house, they kept the Pentax brand alive with the likes of the K7 and K5. I suspect, Ricoh is actually looking to get into the DSLR consumer market and the Pentax legacy is a good place to start.
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The name will continue
See this thread more than 400 message
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/150409-ricoh-buy-penta...ness-hoya.html
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The attached link describes the purchase of Pentax from the Ricoh point of view. It should give some comfort to those who worry about the future of the Pentax brand of cameras.

http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/pdf/0701.pdf

07-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

In a way there is a logic to the Ricoh purchase of the Pentax photo arm from Hoya.
Hoya was a bit lost with Pentax and really did know what to do with it and was reluctant to invest money to make the brand more competitive.
Ricoh makes interesting compact cameras that are probably better than what Pentax has to offer. Also Ricoh has no presence at all in the more serious end of the market such as SLR system cameras.
We have to remember if Pentax is going to survive it must be run by people who are serious about camera manufacturing, know the business and is willing to invest in the future.
07-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
As the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy intoned, "Don't Panic." When Hoya bought Pentax, Chicken Littles were running everywhere on the forums. Even with Hoya really only interested in the medical side of the house, they kept the Pentax brand alive with the likes of the K7 and K5. I suspect, Ricoh is actually looking to get into the DSLR consumer market and the Pentax legacy is a good place to start.
Pentax is shutting down in 1989. I desk jockey at Wolf Camera in Chattanooga, TN told me so. Every thing you have seen for the past 21 years is a figment of your imagination.

sarcasm

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with looking at things objectively from all angles and consider various scenarios and outcomes.