Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It's no surprise, as in my opinion, Hoya has and still is the best filter manufacturer.
The surprise is that the two more expensive (considerably more expensive) Hoya filters were no better than the second cheapest.

07-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I got a promaster. Glad to hear it should be ok. That tiffen at the bottom of the barrel. Horrific!
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
The surprise is that the two more expensive (considerably more expensive) Hoya filters were no better than the second cheapest.
They got a little ahead of themselves with their "HD" and high end filters. Hoya HMC were always more popular than the SHMC in the 90's, and word on the street was the SHMC were very hard to clean. I had a top of the line Hoya HD and the coating was impossible to keep spotless.

Hoya HMC line has consistently been the best, despite their high end attempts that fail, IMO.
07-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I wonder if the advent of microfibre cloths have made cleaning the filters easier?

07-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I wonder if the advent of microfibre cloths have made cleaning the filters easier?
no actually microfibre cleaning cloths make it even harder because they trap dirt and grime in the micofibres only to redeposit the oils and grime on another filter/lens when you use it again.

an emergency method which I do not recommend - use at your own peril: I bought a IR filter from hoya several months ago and as a by poroduct from the manufacturing process it has some oil on the back of it - and despite my efforts to remove It in a conventional manner all ended in failure and a very messy filter so in the end I put some purell* on the filter and rubbed away with a clean end of a microfiber cloth - At the end of this treatment the filter was clear and pristine.

*alcohol based hand sanitiser, I always keep some of this stuff in my camera bag it is SO useful.
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no actually microfibre cleaning cloths make it even harder because they trap dirt and grime in the micofibres only to redeposit the oils and grime on another filter/lens when you use it again.
<snip>
If you will use a dirty cloth...
07-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
which is why I buy a new one every 6 months or so.

07-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

They're washable. Wash them by themselves and it's like new.