Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Will GXR devour the world?

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in -- it's neither news nor SLR nor lens nor accessory so I'll ask this here. I know zilch about the GXR except what I've seen in the last couple days, so it's safe to ask:
Are FF mount/sensor modules possible too? 645 modules? Canon / Nikon modules (depending on patent / license issues)? Foveon and other sensor modules? Holo / 3D / compound modules? Custom video modules? Is the GXR a contender as a universal platform? Could this boost Ricoh into "major player" status?
What I think I know of GXR is that is currently has two lens+sensor modules. That seems an expensive way to add lenses. But lensless mount-only modules leave the body (including power+controls) as one unit, the sensor+electronics as another, and the lens as yet another. So we can upgrade sensors or change mounts without buying a new camera. That seems pretty efficient. Is it a paradigm-buster?

EDIT: Title corrected. On this post, anyway. My ignorance remains on display in the thread title.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.
07-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I could be totally wrong but...

...I don't see much success for this model / concept. However, I also admit that I know very little about it. Here's my 2 cents though:

1. I think you mean GXR not GSX, but I think that both were popular Suzuki motorcycle models at one point or another.

2. I would assume that anything is possible in terms of modules whether they be sensor only with different mounts for another manufacturer's lenses, or all-in-one sensors and lenses.

3. It is a great idea to provide a product with open architecture. However, it is not such a great idea to do so when you are the sole developer. Hence, the product is not as flexible as it is proported to be since there is only one group that decides what to develop.

4. Is it feasible for third party developers to manufacture the modules? I am sure that there are patent and economic issues that make it prohibitive to do so.

5. Because of #3 above, maybe this model would be better served if Ricoh developed the product with only the body and sensor modules, and developed mounts that would accept Sony, Olympus, Q, AF K-mount lenses, etc. with full functionality. (This might be an impossible task - I don't know.)

6. Even if #5 is possible, we are talking about a sizeable consumer investment in this EVIL versus the competition's EVIL's.

7. The GXR is ugly. 'Nuff said.
07-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Heres a preview of the GXR from DPreview, you guys have prob seen it but it gives good info and some early samples for those that havent.

Interesting idea...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/RicohGXR/

Last edited by Deimos; 07-04-2011 at 11:30 AM.
07-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know why some people can't grasp the concept of a aps-c module that would allow the use of the DA ltd series lenses.

It would rock to be able to use the DA 35/ltd on one of these things.

GXR with 33mm/2.5 macro module

Product Review: Ricoh GXR With Macro Lens/APS Module from Adorama Learning Center

Currently $912 for it and the module

IRCGXR50 Ricoh GXR Interchangeable Unit Body with Ricoh LENS A12 50mm F2.5 MACRO Camera Unit, 12 Megapixel

QuoteQuote:
Key Features
  • Revolutionary interchangeable modular lens/sensor system
  • 33mm macro lens and APS sensor module
  • Shutter speeds 2 hours-1/2000 sec
  • 3-inch LCD Monitor
  • Easy-access custom settings
  • Hot shoe
  • VF-2 External Viewfinder for eye-level viewing (additional)
  • Manual focus and exposure easy to access
Advantages
  • Small, compact, light
  • Full APS sensor
  • Cutting-edge engineering
With a aps-c module based on the k-5 sensor would allow one module but a system of lenses.

Edit:

compliments of Adorama

Last edited by Blue; 07-04-2011 at 06:29 PM.
07-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting quote from Steve Huff

QuoteQuote:
Steve Huff says:
December 28, 2010 at 9:25 am
I agree. I am no longer a DSLR fan AT ALL. I just can not shoot with a DSLR. I am testing the Pentax K5 and am having a hard time getting to like it. NOT because it is not a killer DSLR but because I just do not like shooting DSLR’s anymore, AT ALL. PLUS, the Ricoh and 28/50 module deliver better performance (IQ WISE) than the Pentax with a limited prime lens.
07-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #6

Not sure if it already exists, but maybe a cool thing for this camera would be an extra long cable (or wireless) connector that goes between the body and the lens module.

Then you could have the lens fixed somewhere (or on a long pole) and still have full control over it from the body.

<grin>
Glen
07-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I too would like to know what are technical possibilities with the system in the long run. However, I suspect that not much is financially sensible for the company. For example the M mount module coming later this year has an APS-C sensor only even though a FF M mount module would be a great backup camera for all the Leica M9 shooters.

The original fixed lens-sensor module concept was somehow original and bold, but IMO not viable. Like who would want to buy a new sensor for every new lens or focal length? Or stop using the fine lens when the sensor no longer gives the results one wants that day? To me that looks like one of the silliest ideas in photography, second only to the Q. But the newer concept of having interchangeable lenses is more interesting. I like the idea of getting a suitable mount/sensor unit for the lens type I wish to use. I see two IFs in this concept. Is it possible economically? Can the company deliver many different mounts and still make a profit? Also, would such modules be priced within reason for the customers?

What I also wonder is what is left in the GXR "base unit" when the sensor and mount are separated from it? I guess it's the image processing and UI electronics, mechanical memory card bays etc. But are they really good enough to hang along from sensor to sensor and technology generation to the next?

07-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I too would like to know what are technical possibilities with the system in the long run. However, I suspect that not much is financially sensible for the company. For example the M mount module coming later this year has an APS-C sensor only even though a FF M mount module would be a great backup camera for all the Leica M9 shooters.

The original fixed lens-sensor module concept was somehow original and bold, but IMO not viable. Like who would want to buy a new sensor for every new lens or focal length? Or stop using the fine lens when the sensor no longer gives the results one wants that day? To me that looks like one of the silliest ideas in photography, second only to the Q. But the newer concept of having interchangeable lenses is more interesting. I like the idea of getting a suitable mount/sensor unit for the lens type I wish to use. I see two IFs in this concept. Is it possible economically? Can the company deliver many different mounts and still make a profit? Also, would such modules be priced within reason for the customers?

What I also wonder is what is left in the GXR "base unit" when the sensor and mount are separated from it? I guess it's the image processing and UI electronics, mechanical memory card bays etc. But are they really good enough to hang along from sensor to sensor and technology generation to the next?
The M module and potential K-module won't require a new sensor and lens for m lenses and k lenses respectively. Id start out with the base, the S10 24-70mm which had a sensor the size of the LX5, get the K module, and add the M module (or vice verse since it is coming out first.)
07-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The M module and potential K-module won't require a new sensor and lens for m lenses and k lenses respectively. Id start out with the base, the S10 24-70mm which had a sensor the size of the LX5, get the K module, and add the M module (or vice verse since it is coming out first.)
Would it not be possible to create a module that has a sensor and lens mount and allows for lenses to be attached in normal DSLR style as well as modular? Best of both worlds no?
07-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Check out these GRX photos from a fellow Pentaxian:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/132301...-gxr-club.html

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as Pentax engineers discuss potential GXR adaptations. And let's not forget that there can be a variety of bodies as well, i.e., a larger body with a grip to use with larger zoom, a body optimized for video, etc...

At the end of the day, the modular concept will offer more flexibility but will likely come at the expense of size (slightly) and cost. It also may not appeal to the mass market, as it is another layer of complexity. Apple has shown that simple ideas sell well.
07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Would it not be possible to create a module that has a sensor and lens mount and allows for lenses to be attached in normal DSLR style as well as modular? Best of both worlds no?
I think that's what the M, Q and K modules are -- sensor etc plus lens mount. I just wonder how far this can go. The M module -- I see that the M register is 27.8mm, so with adapters it could handle nearly all legacy (and current) RF and SLR lenses. So why not a FF M module? Or at the other end, a pumped-up Q module with larger sensor and adapters for cine/video lenses? GXR has the potential to undercut NX and EOS as universal receptors of lenses.
07-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think that, as it stands, it's a dumb idea. I wouldn't want to be forced to change sensors, just because I want to change lenses. And vice versa. But I think the concept of being able to swap out sensors is amazing. I love the 10mp CCD sensor from the K10, but not enough to carry it instead of my K-5, with all it's better features, and a great sensor in it's own right. But if I had the ability to just swap out the sensors, but keep the functionality of the K-5, I would bring both and shoot both. If Pentax could create a modular sensor platform, where camera body, performance and lens mount all stay the same, so you can still use whatever K-mount lenses you want, I would be all over it. Then they could also make one that is optimized for video, which DSLR sensor most certainly are not, and use that when you want to shoot only video. Or make one that an 8mp sensor, with the same tech as the K-5, and shoots hella clean stills at ISO 52,600, for when you know output size won't be huge and lowlight perfomance matters more.
07-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I think that, as it stands, it's a dumb idea. I wouldn't want to be forced to change sensors, just because I want to change lenses. And vice versa. But I think the concept of being able to swap out sensors is amazing. I love the 10mp CCD sensor from the K10, but not enough to carry it instead of my K-5, with all it's better features, and a great sensor in it's own right. But if I had the ability to just swap out the sensors, but keep the functionality of the K-5, I would bring both and shoot both. If Pentax could create a modular sensor platform, where camera body, performance and lens mount all stay the same, so you can still use whatever K-mount lenses you want, I would be all over it. Then they could also make one that is optimized for video, which DSLR sensor most certainly are not, and use that when you want to shoot only video. Or make one that an 8mp sensor, with the same tech as the K-5, and shoots hella clean stills at ISO 52,600, for when you know output size won't be huge and lowlight perfomance matters more.
You wouldn't be changing lenses witing the M system or within the K system. That's why we are suggesting a k-mount module. This wouldn't be to use in lieu of my dSLR but my e-p1.
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Forum Member

I feel like the recent buyout of Pentax by Ricoh opens up a lot of possibilities. Perhaps they can make a K-mount module, or a shortened, more compact mount. This would get us a Pentax EVIL without them having to engineer a whole new camera.