Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q K mount Adaptor?

Do you think that at some point Pentax will look into making adaptor allowing the us of m42 and K mount lenses on to the Q mount camera system? Would you think something like this is even workable or feasible? Just some of my thoughts of getting the small Pentax Q into the hands on D-slrs users.

07-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would doubt it, but they never denied the possibility
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Someone posted the crop factor on the Q would be around 5.8 ish, IIRC, and that would mean those K mount lenses would only be good for telephoto. You'd need a fish-eye just to get down to a mild telephoto on the Q. Not too practical for general purpose.

Last edited by tuco; 07-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
07-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait for the real evil to be announced...

07-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Wait for the real evil to be announced...
I think it's called GXR. With M, Q, and P mounts. And maybe L and N and C eventually, ?quien sabe?
07-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I think it's called GXR. With M, Q, and P mounts. And maybe L and N and C eventually, ?quien sabe?

bigthumbsup
07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Really does seem like an intelligent design concept doesn't it

07-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
I looked at the GXR and I really do think that it is not going to work out.

I got thinking about some of the possiblities of a Q to K mount adaptor got playing around placing some of my Pentax K mount lenses I have on my Fuji A700. It is almost the same size as the Pentax Q body. I placed a 500mm f8 mirror lens and a Pentax 50mm f1.4 F series prime on top of the Fuji to see what the combination would look like. Attached is a picture showing the two leneses in place.

With to crop factored in, the 500mm lens would act like a 2900mm lens. The 50mm prime would act lie a 290mm lens. If the sensor size was a bit bigger, I could see something like this build but not with the current unit that is planed on the Q right now.

07-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
I looked at the GXR and I really do think that it is not going to work out.

I got thinking about some of the possiblities of a Q to K mount adaptor got playing around placing some of my Pentax K mount lenses I have on my Fuji A700. It is almost the same size as the Pentax Q body. I placed a 500mm f8 mirror lens and a Pentax 50mm f1.4 F series prime on top of the Fuji to see what the combination would look like. Attached is a picture showing the two leneses in place.

With to crop factored in, the 500mm lens would act like a 2900mm lens. The 50mm prime would act lie a 290mm lens. If the sensor size was a bit bigger, I could see something like this build but not with the current unit that is planed on the Q right now.
No but the DA series limited including but not limited to the DA 35mm Ltd would work out just fine as would the D FA 100/2.8 WR macro. Trying to use a freaking mirror lens on a mirrorless camera is diabolical anyway. That's pain in the neck even on my e-p1. Besides, Ricoh has shown the M module will work.
07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
I think the problem is that if the sensor goes so does the use of the lens. With the current use of separate lens and camera body, the lens is still useful. The camera body either needs repaired or replaced. The lens can be used on another body. Just look at all the old lenses being used on the Pentax cameras today. I personally do not see the use of placing the imaging section of camera as part lens package as being practical.

As for the 500mm lens, I just placed it to show what could be done. The use of the shorter lenses make for a logical long macro on the Q. The 500mm is just overkill. It was just fun to see what it looked like on that small camera body.
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
I thought the Q adptor was a bit crazy until I saw this link on another part of the forum, Lens mount lets you turn your iPhone 4 into a DSLR | ZDNet. Almost makes the idea of the K to Q mount feasible!!
« FUD? | fireflies »