Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D & Airport Security

Hello all,

I have a brand new K10D (2 weeks old now) that i'm taking traveling with me in about 5 weeks, and I was wondering should i send it through the airport Xray machine? Or will that hurt it? I dont remember seeing warnings about anything but film the last time i flew. Thanks for any suggestions...

--steve

11-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read this morning that it's okay to put it through the X ray machine, no harm whatsoever. Don't take it through the thing you walk through as that has a high magnetic field, more dangerous to your gear.
11-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replay Arpe, thats good to know.
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #4

They will probably make you take it out of the bag as well. That used to only apply to video cameras but now any large electronic device goes through the X-Ray by itself. It's another advantage over film. X-Rays can't hurt SD cards and they won't let you carry it through the magnetometer. You could ask for hand inspection but that would probably get you hustled off to some unmarked room and you'd miss your flight.

11-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #5

I've carried mine a half-dozen times. I set it in the plastic box, it goes through the machine, I get it back. Never had a problem.
11-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've traveled a couple of times in the last year with my Pentax DSLRs. Left them both in my camera backpack and other than the technician running it back and forth a couple of times, had no problems. One technician did ask me to open the bag in Daytona and she swabbed it for explosives. I think sometimes all the glass confuses them. Very little chance of damage to the cameras though.
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am probably one of those people travelling most, counting out pilots. My K10D has survived 200+ days of travel and more fligths and security checks than I am able to count over the last year, never had an issue, set aside the usual explosive tests and other odds things every now and then.
It will not harm your gear to have it x-rayed. Plus the security people see travelling photogaphers all the time... those I have run into are pretty used to it.
11-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've taken my *ist DS and lenses in my Lowepro Mini-Trekker on planes numerous times. Never had a problem with the X-Ray machine (never had to open the bag for the security folks) and I like that it fits under the seat in front of me (I'd rather not stick it in the overhead) My K10D will be making its maiden voyage this week for Turkey day down in Florida, so I'm sure it will be fine as well.

12-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In the UK we are only allowed to have one piece of hand baggage to take on the plane so camera, lenses and everything else have had to go into one bag. The only equipment we've ever been asked to remove from a bag is a laptop. They used to let us carry on the laptop as an additional bag, and I used to carry my camera on separately, but no longer since security got tighter. (Though I suspect that part is about trying to speed up the security screening by cutting down on hand baggage.) As we always have to take a laptop with us it has made life difficult taking my camera and lenses on flights due to bulk and weight restrictions. It's making me think carefully about weight before I buy the long telezoom that I want. My K10D has been through security screening many times without any problems.

Paul
12-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Fed mine through one last friday, rattled of 1200 fault-free shots on Sunday, fed it back through the x-ray machine on the way back to my home state and rattled off a few shots last night without a drama. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Oh, but they do look at you funny when they see the Bigma through the x-ray, lol, they made me take mine out and prove it was a lens, lol.
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I've carried mine a half-dozen times. I set it in the plastic box, it goes through the machine, I get it back. Never had a problem.
ditto. No issue with camera either
12-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Fed mine through one last friday, rattled of 1200 fault-free shots on Sunday, fed it back through the x-ray machine on the way back to my home state and rattled off a few shots last night without a drama. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Oh, but they do look at you funny when they see the Bigma through the x-ray, lol, they made me take mine out and prove it was a lens, lol.
It's a RPG in disguise.
12-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Same sort of thing happened to me last year, but only once. I was carrying my Vivitar 300mm along with all my other photo equipment in my "big" bag - only one bag for carry on.

SeaTac - LAX - domestic -no problem
LAX - Aukland - international - no problem
Aukland - Christchurch - domestic - no problem
one month passes
Christchurch - Wellington - Aukland - domestic - no problem (only one trip through the x-ray)
AukLand - LAX - international - no problem
LAX - SeaTac -- TSA had me open my camera bag and the "person" suggested that I never have the lens vertical because the machine can not tell what it is - maybe late 70's glass glows in x-rays or something - they also selected my son (19 at the time) for "special" searches.

My *ist Ds and my Wolverine portable HD did not even burp. My SD and Smartmedia cards survived without issue too. (My Toshiba camera (SmartMedia) died on the trip - bought it in 2001 - broke a gear, nothing to do with x-rays)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 12-23-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Toshiba stuff
12-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
They will probably make you take it out of the bag as well. That used to only apply to video cameras but now any large electronic device goes through the X-Ray by itself. It's another advantage over film. X-Rays can't hurt SD cards and they won't let you carry it through the magnetometer. You could ask for hand inspection but that would probably get you hustled off to some unmarked room and you'd miss your flight.
Don't be too sure about this, I travelw ith a photo backpack, 2 bodies 6 lenses and all the wires cables chargers batteries etc that go with it.

Never had to take the camera out yet, although that only covers across canada, the US, mexico and france so far.

Most times they don't even search it manually.