Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to draw up a model release?

So, my friend and I did it. Put an ad up on Craigslist, and we got hired as photographers to take actor headshots for someone and to cover an event for someone else. Just one thing, though - what do we have to do to protect us and our images, from a legal point of view? Is a model release form necessary in either case, and if so how would we get one?

Thanks!

07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your images are already copyrighted, unless you explicitly sign away the copyright. However, you need a model release in order to sell the photos, assuming they are used in a way to advertise or endorse a product.

There are some good boilerplate model releases on the internet. Just Google it.
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you're interested, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you the model release I've used for years.
07-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Your images are already copyrighted, unless you explicitly sign away the copyright. However, you need a model release in order to sell the photos, assuming they are used in a way to advertise or endorse a product.

There are some good boilerplate model releases on the internet. Just Google it.
Well we're going to photograph the event or the model and then sell the images to the event organizer/the model. Would we need a release form in either of those situations?

07-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You probably wouldn't need a release to sell a model photographs of themself. That wouldn't be any different than a person paying you to photograph them in your studio. However, if you plan on any financial gain through commercial purposes, or if you plan on posting photographs of the model anywhere online (here, your website, etc.), why not cover yourself and obtain a release? I get a release from all models I shoot even if I don't plan on selling the photos to other buyers, just to be safe.
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here are some ones from a New Zealand pro photographers' body:

Standard: http://www.nzipp.org.nz/NzippWeb/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4sKVLACpqzU%3d&tabid=153

Quick: http://www.nzipp.org.nz/NzippWeb/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=oDHRsvEx6LY%3d&tabid=153
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is fairly industry standard and does not require modification

http://www.istockphoto.com/docs/languages/english/modelrelease.pdf