Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Presets and Scene modes?

So you’re pretty familiar with your SLR camera(s) and consider yourself a knowledgeable ‘maker of pictures’. You no longer just point-an’-shoot and hope something good happens and when you screw up, you can usually understand how and why.

You select a lens, ISO, shutter speed and aperture appropriate to the subject matter. You (usually) remember to check white balance/film type. Hyper-focal distance is a meaningful term to you and you recognize that auto-focus is a useful (but not very bright) assistant, not the LAW.

So just what do Presets and Scene modes do for you? Given a hint as to the general category of the scene you intend to shoot and at what distance, and perhaps a clue as to an allowable ISO range, the camera makes decisions as to what exposure settings would be acceptable for a typical situation -- just like you would. Then depending on the mode, it offers the choice to override some or all of the recommendations -- just as I might have done in the past. (A review of the manual just reminded me of how many finesse adjustments were hidden behind the FN button.)

Let’s start with a simple choice like the lens. What happens if you select a Preset or Scene mode without attaching a lens that reports focal length/focus point data? Or aperture data? The camera gives me the same blank stare/slap on the forehead I experienced carrying a basic Pentax SLR and a Sunny Sixteen cheat-sheet many years ago so maybe it’s no dumber than I am after all.

So here I’ve got an MX with an M 50/1.7 set at a useful hyper focal distance, appropriate film type and ASA, suitable shutter speed and aperture for the conditions – uh, am I downtown or up the creek? – and I’m prepared to adjust the exposure as experience and changing light dictates. And, hmm, I can change the basic exposure at will just by twisting a knob or dial? Hey, that sounds suspiciously like modern DSLR Scene or Preset Modes to me. Or is it the other way around?

So why don’t I use those DSLR convenience-modes if they sound so familiar? Well, first, I sort’a like my older glass and that’s a BIG impediment! Besides, habit patterns are hard to break. But mostly because the electronic controls/menus are just to darn finicky to mess with. The only really ergonomic control on the whole body is the thumb dial (the K200D’s only have one) and even then I have to remember how it’s assigned by mode. (And let’s not talk about that damn flash bulge that hides a proper aperture ring!)

I’m sure glad they left Tv, Av and M modes on the knob or I’d be lost. But I promise to make a concerted effort to remember to use P mode at least once a month in an attempt to ‘become mo’ modernized’!

H2

07-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have various digi-P&S's with scene modes. But not my first. And not the K20D. Come to think of it, none of my film cams had scene modes either. Except a Canon P&S, and I hardly ever use that camera. I have a Olympus digi-P&S that *demands* use of such modes. I gave that one to my other, so it's out of my hands too.

Why not use scene modes, especially when there are 20+ available? Because I can't decipher the tiny symbols; and I don't remember what each is supposed to be used for from camera to camera; and the user manuals are printed too small to read, or aren't printed at all; and I just learned to think in terms of exposures, not scenes. Some of my digi-P&S's have full manual control (Sony DSC-V1, Olympus C5050Z) so those are suitable for serious work; ie, I think I know what I'm doing.

Have I outsmarted the cameras, or just skipped-around their glorious machine intelligences? Whatever. I'll admit to using P-mode on my K20D a lot. That's when conditions are suitable, like a bright day and an AF lens. But most of the time, I use non-A-type MFLs. Thus Av is mandatory, unless I'm Green-buttoning in M-mode. And I'll -+EV my way around the camera's choices there, too. Maybe it comes from my early training with a handheld light meter, with no built-in camera tools. Yeah, that's it. I'm depraved on account-a I'm deprived.

I ain't seen no scenes lately. I just see shots. (And occasionally some real sh!ts, but that's a political discussion.)
07-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Even with a modern camera and modern AF lens, there's no substitute for having a good understanding of exposure and lighting, in my opinion. It becomes invaluable when you move to conditions that the camera doesn't understand so well. Or when you move to another camera that also features manual exposure controls.
07-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I never understood scene modes when they came along, I could never remember what each tiny icon meant, so I ignored them. Now I have a K7 and it doesn't have them - now that's progress!

07-13-2011, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

What do you mean?

The little mountain icon is for taking pictures of mountains. The little flower icon is for taking pictures of flowers. The little cloud icon is for taking pictures of clouds. The little moon icon is for taking pictures of moons. And the little silhouette icon is for taking pictures of crime scenes.

Simple!
07-17-2011, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The little mountain icon is for taking pictures of mountains. The little flower icon is for taking pictures of flowers. The little cloud icon is for taking pictures of clouds. The little moon icon is for taking pictures of moons. And the little silhouette icon is for taking pictures of crime scenes.
Simple!
I've got a great (?) idea.
Print this out on a sheet or two of those PC business card sheets.
Place the stack of cards in the Canikon sales section of a big box store.
Hopefully their buyers will take a card and memorize it.
I can see after a week, the sales associate asking the manager for
"more of those helpful cards".

"Hey does that Pentax have a "crime scene" icon like my camera does?"
07-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have never used scene modes on any camera, mostly because I forget. If by chance I did use one, I would probably forget to change it back and wonder why all my shots look like crime scenes.

07-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have never used scene modes on any camera, mostly because I forget. If by chance I did use one, I would probably forget to change it back and wonder why all my shots look like crime scenes.
Solution: Avoid crime scenes.
07-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The biggest advantage to the scene modes is that when your card is empty and there is nothing interesting to photography you still have something that you can view on the screen.

I usually use one mode and the is the MY mode, at least that is what I think the M stands for.