Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

This is a fantastic photo, woof.

Thanks indeed. I admire your work very much, so I appreciate this comment all the more...

woof!

07-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Another source of inspiration is limitation: Entice yourself to shoot under severe constraints. For instance, my lens-of-the-day for the last week on my K20D has been long and slow, an M42 Alpa (Chinon) 300/5.6 mounted with a wide flanged no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter, exploiting CIF. The adapter shortens the focus range to about 2m-75m. The narrow AOV is about 6 degrees.

Those are the constraints: not too close, not too far, not very wide. And not too dark either, not without pumping-up the ISO. So I must look carefully at what's around me, and think a bit before raising the camera to my eye. This means that I see differently than I do when using faster and shorter and zoom lenses. I must look for details that work within the constraints. And I've been shooting B&W, so I'm shooting shapes and tones, not colors. Another limit... and more camera-work.

That's part of my lens-of-the-day strategy, both to use what I have, and to see as each lens sees. Many lenses are fairly all-encompassing; I love wide glass, but they don't persuade me to work as with the 300/5.6, in town or country. Wider glass gives a different challenge. Using only the Zenitar 16/2.8 FE for a week would be HARD. Finding the right scenes and distances and juxtapositions, whew! Or how about shooting ONLY close? Or at a fixed distance? I'll put a 75/3.5 enlarger lens on a macro tube for a 1m fixed-focus, use that all day -- it's a workout.

Drifting amidst the same old stuff constantly is boring. Travel can be expensive. Limitations are challenging. Constraints nurture creativity. Try it and see.