Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

"Nothing to photograph", lack of inspiration.

Oddly i've realized that very suddenly i've lost most of my interest in photographing. I feel it's because very often it seems like there's nothing at all to photograph.

More often and often i get the thought that there is no need to carry camera with me, because there wont be anything to picture. Everything seems very trivial and seen on the web taken many times better than i could do it.

Is this a common frustration? How do you deal with it?

07-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I haven't really hit this kind of wall. I do go through periods when I'm not inspired but I find that 1) keeping shooting, 2) shooting for competitions, 3) a workshop / class, or 4) travel can usually re-energize me out of a slump.

I'm currently involved with an number of others on the forum in 'Single in Month' challenges where we shoot all month with one lens positing one image a day. I'm 7 months into it and it gets hard to shoot every day, but it keeps me going.
07-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Oddly i've realized that very suddenly i've lost most of my interest in photographing. I feel it's because very often it seems like there's nothing at all to photograph.

More often and often i get the thought that there is no need to carry camera with me, because there wont be anything to picture. Everything seems very trivial and seen on the web taken many times better than i could do it.

Personally, it never happened to me before, maybe it's only me though. Perhaps the following explains why.

1) I have over 450 lenses so even with a very trivial subject, it could take years to go through my set of lenses on a given subject. Every adjustment to the angle, focal length, aperture, etc. will create a totally new image.

2) I try to travel every quarter or so, so there is always something new to "me". I think this is where it matters. No matter how often the subject has been shown over the internet, as long as it's new to me, I'm fine with that.

3) I don't get bored taking pictures, photography helps me go beyond boredom

Just my two cents.
07-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea what you're going through. Although I did notice this phenomenon before. My wife has lost all interest in photography somehow. (Which is a shame, because with my LBA, she would only need a body.)

I, on the other hand, have a extremely strong desire to improve myself constantly. Whenever I see brilliant images, produced by very skilled photografers, then I want to be able to do the same. Needless to say, I'm not there yet. And I doubt I'll quit trying to improve myself if I ever were to get there.

What inspires me a lot is, for example, the exclusive gallery on this forum. The images there are beautiful. And trying to reproduce such images myself is fun and is teaching me a LOT.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-20-2011 at 07:06 AM.
07-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You need a challenge to get your mojo back!

ie walk, drive for 5 minutes, stop, take 10 really different shots within 10 yards/metres.

Ask friends and family to each give you a topic/subject to shoot. Get them to judge the results over food/wine/beer (your shout!).

Take 10 shots of people (strangers) up close and personal in the street.

Take 10 shots incorporating a single word - ie "red".

Go out with just one camera body and one lens, ideally the 'wrong' lens for the job. ie, if you normally use wides for landscapes, try a macro or tele.

Try working through the periodic table, using the short or long element name as a subject, however tangental. ie Pb = lead, so how about "lead-in" lines - make sure a fence, path, whatever leads the eye into the picture, etc.

Get the idea? You're bored in your comfort zone, so go outside it.

Last edited by JohnX; 07-20-2011 at 07:05 AM.
07-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually can relate. I have worked my way through dry spells by being actively involved in the "Single In" challenges mentioned above - taking one lens and shooting every day with that lens for a month. This month I stepped back in part due to fatigue with the idea and in part because summer light is so harsh where I live. As it has turned out my personal life has gotten complicated and stressful with an adult child suddenly moving home and work has been insane. So I am okay with stepping back a little. I have taken a few random shots in the yard and I have taken the opportunity to process some recent images but I actually feel a little relief with the space. Gradually I am feeling a desire to get out with the camera but it is not pressing. Creative breaks can be healthy too.
07-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Loss of interest in your prime hobby can be a sign of depression. Can't say anything solid because I do not know you but it is one of the warning signs. Just a thought.

07-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In some ways, I certainly understand. I see the images from everyday scenes from folks along the coastline - beaches, harbors, boats, piers & wharfs, green hillsides & oak trees and I see interest. Here, it is hot, dry, dusty, brown and cactus. I know folks and see images that come out here and the area looks great, and ask myself why I could not see that with out having been shown.

I think that it comes down to items that you see everyday and it becomes the mundane and boring.

07-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It happens to me, living in Florida and vacationing in Europe.

In Florida it's hard to get up the urge to take pictures in the 100+ degree heat.
There's nothing worse than sweating all over your camera gear.
Also, we don't *really* have seasons here. Yes, things get "brown" in the winter, but not really seasons.

When I am in the UK there are NEVER a shortage of things, so I highly recommend travel to get you out of your funk.
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel your pain, as I'm currently also going through a period of photographic lethargy. I've been doing "serious" photography since the late '80s, and for me these spells of funk seem to come and go and last a few days to several months. Unfortunately, my current malaise materialized a few weeks after I bought a K-5; if it were to happen at all, I wish it had done so before I shelled out 1300 bucks!

I suspect I'll revive reasonably soon; the ability to shoot, process and share (via the Forum) photographs in a single day is, for me, more stimulating than the old film days; even if I'm not shooting much, I like to pop into the Post Your Photo section every day or so to enjoy the great stuff that appears there. Also, I agree with LaurenOE that "getting out of town" can really help. During my current spell of the "blahs", we spent a few days in California. I had to force myself to drag along the K-5 and a small kit, and I was certainly glad I did - I thoroughly enjoyed shooting in a different geography.

In my case, I find these periods of boredom to be shorter if I don't worry about it much and simply center my attention on other interests. Pretty soon, something reignites my itch to hold a camera and my shooting frequency returns to "normal."

Jer
07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Loss of interest in your prime hobby can be a sign of depression. Can't say anything solid because I do not know you but it is one of the warning signs. Just a thought.
My first thought too. Maybe you need to keep an eye on that and see if the way you are feeling applies to other aspects of your life.

Other than that, as someone else said, get out of your comfort zone. If your a landscape tog then try macro, if you like street shooting then try very low DoF shots whilst walking around. Just give yourself a challenge !

Another way would be to join a camera club, new friends, new perspective.
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you are not suffering from depression, or another medical condition that is draining your energy, this should be considered normal.

-Sometimes you just need a break from your hobby to get the interest back.

-There is no reason to feel that if you have a hobby that it has to be something you do daily or even weekly. Even if that was your previous pattern.

-Some people can get into the habit of talking about photography/equipment in forums and such that the actual business of taking pics becomes mundane.

-As others mentioned, taking part in competitions that force you to shoot regulary as in the 'Single in..' in this forum is one way to get into the habit of using your camera.

-Sometimes hobbies can change forever. It is not the end of the world if you do lose interest in photography altogether. [Again provided you are not sufffering from an undiagnosed condition].

I used to be a reader. I read everything in sight, it was my primary hobby from the age of 5 till towards the end of professional education. I simply find it difficult especially to read fiction anymore. I seem to get the feeling that I have seen this plot before etc. Other than sometimes thinking to myself of the change I have not lost sleep over it...I went about 12 years without any particular hobby. Only then did I find photography. This is not as passive as reading. Maybe it will last longer. Who knows...
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I call this "photograhic inertia"...ya just can't seem to get into anything so you don't shoot. For me, the solution is to force myself to shoot, even if I'm not entirely thrilled about the subject matter. What I've found is that it'll kind of snowball on you. You take one picture, then you see how you could improve it, so you move closer, get lower, change lenses, whatever....then you see another picture...then another...and another. Before long, you're shooting again. And while you might not be enjoying it as much as before, you're certainly enjoying it more than not shooting at all and wondering what's wrong with you. lol However, as jmschrei said, "Creative breaks can be healthy, too." I took a workshop with a Nat'l Geo. photographer who advised everyone to leave their cameras home every once in a while and just go enjoy the moment. His reasoning was that photographers tend to put a camera between themselves and life's experiences and that's not always a good thing. Sometimes we just need to "stop and smell the roses" without looking at the roses and thinking lighting, background, composition, lens, etc...
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks on your ideas and advices. I think, that the options listed by JohnX could be quite useful, i should try that out.
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Yes many times!
And I've learned its absurd because so long as there's something around us, there's something to photograph.

Having said that, I've also learned that photography and ones state of being go hand in hand. And I learned this by shooting with a friend of mine who just loves photography. But more importantly, he loves life! - Which was a huge undertaking for me and I've since been learning to see things differently. Appreciating the finer things around me for what they are and being a part of something wonderful. And once I got the ball rolling, I found the excitement of photography building again.

In closing I'd say that its perfectly normal to undergo such feelings. Though I don't personally know if there is any one set way to overcome it. I've found mine, and so I guess it will come down to finding your own way through it.