Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

IF I had my time again?

Regrets,......, gotta hate them but one persons regret can help anothers path to photographic gear purchasing enlightenment.
So heres mine:
Ok apart from buying the K50 1:2 which I thought was a 1.2 on ebay and then subsequently dropping my camera onto it while having the strap on my shoulder I have two not so obvious pearls of wisdom.

Kit replacement lens- get a DA 16-45 OR a 2.8 Zoom like a DA*16-50 Tamron 17-50, 28-75.
Reason (And I know I will get disagreement here but this is MY regret!
I got a Sigma 17-70 2.8/4.5. Now this is a fine lens but there is one thing it isnt and that is SMALL.
I find myself either wishing I got a faster Tamron for a similar size or a smaller/wider DA 16-45 which would be fantastic on my Kx (which is in retrospect mind you, I didn't have it at the time). I really should have realised I WOULD get a 55-300 at some stage OR get a longer zoom like the 18-135 or 18-250 if I needed the length.
Also the Sigma has NO resale value (much like the kit zoom from my Kx) so will probable stick with me.

Now regrettably number 2
My 72mm Polarising filter.
This kind of dovetails with my number 1 as my first lens I bought with my K7 was the Sigma and its 72mm thread. Theory was get a decent 72mm filter and then use step down rings for any other lens I get. Sound theory right?
Wrong! ......Lens Hoods, when do you use a lens hood? Scattered light and prevent flareing. When do you use a polarising filter? Scattered light and COULD CAUSE flareing!!!! So with any lens but the Sigma its a one or the other situation and with the Sigmas hood it doesnt have the removable piece of the hood like the pentax lenses so I can adjust it
Now the funny part....how may step down rings do I have?.........One.........Yes.....One , for my five lenses, the step down ring is a 52mm which fits everything!
BUT, my most used lens....my FA31!!!!!!!!ARRGGGGHHHH (built in hood if u wondering!) So I will be getting another Polarising filter but at least I will have another for the wife to use.
HEHE, now for some of your fun camera gear regrets!

07-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I had studied the K-X kit a little more would not have bought the kit with the DAL lens.They are not that good plus it is hard for me to get used to using a lens without an aperture ring.This may not be a problem for people who have been using automatic cameras but for me who has been using only manual cameras for 40 plus lens I need an aperture ring.Almost never use the 18-50 after getting a 28-105,wish it was a little faster.When I need a little more aperture I use my old primes,most of which I have had for so long I forget how or when they came to my bag.
Jake
07-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ha, that is easy. If I could give myself a hint back in the late 80's early 90's it would have been to buy more A glass. Those lenses went second hand for nothing back then when everyone wanted autofocus. And they include some of Pentax best glass ever. Some shops even sold them out new for very low prices when the first AF lens line came.
07-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
If I had studied the K-X kit a little more would not have bought the kit with the DAL lens.They are not that good plus it is hard for me to get used to using a lens without an aperture ring.This may not be a problem for people who have been using automatic cameras but for me who has been using only manual cameras for 40 plus lens I need an aperture ring.Almost never use the 18-50 after getting a 28-105,wish it was a little faster.When I need a little more aperture I use my old primes,most of which I have had for so long I forget how or when they came to my bag.
Jake
I agree with the one dial on the kx I struggle when I want to do the Manual thing, Thats why my K7 is my baby! lol