Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for that link, Edward. Should be a good read.

08-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thank you very much
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I just happened to buy a GF2 and the Panasonic 20mm lens just arrived at my house today. Maybe I should see how it works as a street photo camera ...
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Good stuff. Notice how he says, DON'T OBSESS OVER THE GEAR. Street shooting is personal, not technical. With one prime you know what to look for and what you'll get. Visualize that one frame size, be there, shoot -- but think about what you're doing. Imagine that, THINKING...

08-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am heading up to San Francisco this weekend.. Taking my wide with me for some architectural shots but i am going to use for some street stuff... Get up and close... maybe my 35mm prime will come along too Last time I went to S.F. I got some great street shots with my 35 & zoom...

Really glad everyone is digging the book!
08-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I am heading up to San Francisco this weekend.. Taking my wide with me for some architectural shots but i am going to use for some street stuff... Get up and close... maybe my 35mm prime will come along too Last time I went to S.F. I got some great street shots with my 35 & zoom...
Different streets, different lenses. [OK, it's gearhead time!] I'm in The City regularly to see family. For parks and wider streets, it's the Tamron 10-24. For sitting in Union Square and sniping passersby, it's the DA18-250 or FA100-300. None of those work for me on Grant Ave -- there, it's the Nikkor 85/2 (modded for PK) or the tiny (half the size of a SuperTak 55/2) Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5. When I'm back there next month I'll have the Komine 28/2 CFWA to play with. Might try some full-circle fisheyes too...
08-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thank you for that link, it seems very interesting and informative, and I am impressed with the quality of the author's photographs.

08-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff, just read about the first third.

For what it's worth, here's some points I jotted down:
- It's worth taking into account they haven't done street photography very long, ...
- ...but they're obviously passionate about it.
- I’m not interested in the history of street photography or the old masters. I’m
interested in the way it is done today
I wouldn't have thought these were mutually exclusive. You don't have to copy or even like some of the 'great' stuff to learn from it.
- There is no rule or right way
is a valid point.
- They make a good point in saying a better camera won't take better photos. BUT 'better' camera for street isn't necessarily something like a D3S, depending on what/how you shoot a better camera is often something relatively small and quiet, and this can make a difference in terms of getting a shot (not IQ). But they do say smaller is better later on.
- There is not a lot of different equipment being used on the street. ?? There is where I am.
- Therefore the auto focus and the shutter speed are the key
elements for a solid camera on the street.

I use AF myself, partly because of eyesight trouble, but this is by no means correct. AF is a choice.
- Some people like the Leica rangefinder cameras. They think this is the only
camera for street photography. The main reason for that is the size of the
camera versus the sensor size (full frame).

Plus the build quality, the very small, fast lenses, the ease of focus and the quietness of the shutter. But again I agree it's by no means the camera that makes the photo, and cameras and especially lenses are thought over and discussed FAR more than they should be.
- They're a big fan of primes for street (and I agree, although you don't have to use one) but they really push the 50mm. On a crop that's too long in my opinion, unless you're really doing tight portraits.

Last edited by CWyatt; 08-03-2011 at 10:13 PM.
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thomas Leuthard has written a follow up ebook to "Going Candid"... His new ebook "Collecting Souls" is available to as a free download at 85mm Street Photography. Here is a bit about the book...

"Collecting Souls..."

My second eBook about Street Photography. While the first book was about the basics, this book is more advanced and contains a
lot of personal thoughts and ideas. I tried to explain what Street Photography means to me and how I see it. It contains more
than 30 short chapters about the different areas and topics of street photography. It should help beginners to understand the
process of making story telling photos and to improve your personal style as a street photographer. Together with the first book
it will be a good reference for anyone who wants to become a street photographer. "

Enjoy!
06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. I found a free ebook on street photography here

FREE EBOOK: 31 Days to Overcome Your Fear of Shooting Street Photography ? Eric Kim Street Photography
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...and a third one from 85mm: 85mm Street Photography
06-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #27
Forum Member

Thomas Leuthard offers also videos of the "high school of street photography...

Greetings, Sascha

06-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

+1 for Ricoh for producing one of the best street photography cameras..the Ricoh grd III and IV.

Nice to know...Previously didn't know anything about Ricoh cameras.