Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Way question

I've run across some references to this book and know that it had many editions. Can anyone tell me what the highest edition # is for it and whether it still can serve as a good reference, particularly for older SuperTaks and other Pentax equipment? Thanks.

07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Those were by keppler and he went into the 80s with them. For M42 and Taks, you want the early and mid 70s editions. For reference points, the 11th Edition came out in 1979 and the 4th edition in 1970.
07-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Those were by keppler and he went into the 80s with them. For M42 and Taks, you want the early and mid 70s editions. For reference points, the 11th Edition came out in 1979 and the 4th edition in 1970.
Thanks, so there is an 11th edition. Ok, that helps. Appreciate it.
07-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, so there is an 11th edition. Ok, that helps. Appreciate it.

There are 3 or so after that as well, but that one I knew for sure. Plus, the newer ones may concentrate on the K mount stuff.

07-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are 3 or so after that as well, but that one I knew for sure. Plus, the newer ones may concentrate on the K mount stuff.
Thanks, I can only find up to an 11th edition (1979) listed anywhere online. I've seen a bit of the 9th edition and its got the bellows and instructions on their use in it with some K mount information as well. It seems that the 9th edition is the first to include K Mount descriptions so it may be the "bridge" edition that covers both the M42 lenses and the "new" K mounts as well.

Would love to hear more about what is included in various editions?
07-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I can't find my 11th edition for some reason. I have two editions of Carl Shipman's Pentax SLR books. The 1977 edition covers m42 and k-mount. Cameras featured are MX, ME, K2, K2dmd, KX, KM, and K1000 for kmount and ES II, Spotmatic F and SP 1000 for m42. I like Shipman's books a lot. I also have a latter 1989 edition and between the 2 I have good coverage. I may get ~ 1985 eventually.
07-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't find my 11th edition for some reason. I have two editions of Carl Shipman's Pentax SLR books. The 1977 edition covers m42 and k-mount. Cameras featured are MX, ME, K2, K2dmd, KX, KM, and K1000 for kmount and ES II, Spotmatic F and SP 1000 for m42. I like Shipman's books a lot. I also have a latter 1989 edition and between the 2 I have good coverage. I may get ~ 1985 eventually.
Thanks, I'll look into those as well. I've read the Takumar chapter from the 9th Edition and the perspective there, and the writing style, is refreshing. LOTS of knowledge and NOT lots of lecturing like we often read from self-appointed "experts". Funny, I was very active as a photographer from ~1976 to 1984 and do not have any of my old manuals, etc. Now I'm buying equipment and books from that era

07-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, I can only find up to an 11th edition (1979) listed anywhere online. I've seen a bit of the 9th edition and its got the bellows and instructions on their use in it with some K mount information as well. It seems that the 9th edition is the first to include K Mount descriptions so it may be the "bridge" edition that covers both the M42 lenses and the "new" K mounts as well.

Would love to hear more about what is included in various editions?
I have the 9th edition which was dated December 1975 and reprinted in October 1976.
As you mentioned it's mostly M42, with one additional K Series addendum in the middle and one M Series at the back.

Phil.
07-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have the 9th edition which was dated December 1975 and reprinted in October 1976.
As you mentioned it's mostly M42, with one additional K Series addendum in the middle and one M Series at the back.

Phil.

Perhaps it plus the 11th edition will cover the broadest range of Pentax lenses and accessories? I've ordered a VG copy of the 9th edition - second printing (which may well be the same edition as yours from Oct '76) for a very reasonable price of $8. I think I'll look it over and see if I think a very much earlier edition might add to the Takumars and the 11th edition to the M series of lenses and accessories.
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a good place to get Pentax manuals and books. They have a few copies of "The Pentax Way"

Photographic Literature "O" "P"

Phil.
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here is a good place to get Pentax manuals and books. They have a few copies of "The Pentax Way"

Photographic Literature "O" "P"

Phil.

Thanks. I like the lists of what was available by year.
08-07-2011, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides “The Pentax Way”, here are a few more books that may be of interest to you.

1) Honeywell Pentax Manual (Joseph D. Cooper) published in 1975.
Mostly M42, with a 1976 K & M Series addendum. Also a 6x7 chapter.

2) How to select & use Pentax SLR Cameras (Carl Shipman) published in 1977.
M42, K & M series.

3) The Asahi Pentax Book K Series (Clyde Reynolds) first edition published in 1977.
K series only.

4) All About Pentax (In Japanese with some English) published in 2002.
M37, M42, K, M, A, LX, 6x7, 645 & 110 series.

5) The Pentax Guide (Fred Swartz) published in 1980.
K, M & LX series.

Phil.
Attached Images

07-24-2014, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #13

Photos: Gallery
Keppler's 11th edition

I too wanted to find the latest edition of The Pentax Way by Herbert Keppler, and I found only up to the 11th (Focal Press,1979) out there for sale.
I bought a nice copy from a thrift shop on abebooks at only about $6 and it has a ton of interesting material going up through the M series.
But I really wanted to see the LX info, because I had read in one description that there was a reprint that added that. Check out this note about the booklet in the back:

The Asahi Pentax Way, 11th ed. (with supplement), by Herbert Keppler.
Published in 1980 by Focal Press Limited; ISBN 0 240 51018 6. General introduction to photography using Pentax equipment; specific discussion of Spotmatics, K-series, and M-series (ME, ME Super, MV, MV-1, and MX) as well as mention of earlier models. Green 32-page supplement bound at the end of the book describes the LX and its system accessories (including AF280T and AF400T TTL flashes). Although the supplement contains little LX-specific information that isn't also present in the LX Operating Manual, the additional accessory information can be useful. (taken from ReoCities)

I assume most of these books swimming around have lost track of their special supplement.

As of today a UK bookseller on abebooks is listing a copy with the bonus green book, but he wants more than $60 to send it here.
His description includes: "444 pages + 32 pages of Pentax LX + further 23 page booklet housed in back pocket of inside end cover"

So I ask you PFers, who among you has seen this edition of the Asahi Pentax Way? Opinions on its value to you if you love the LX? Willing to throw up a few scans of that phantom booklet.
07-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'll have check what edition mine is.
07-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philter Quote
assume most of these books swimming around have lost track of their special supplement.
Well the 9th edition which I must have purchased in Melbourne Australia in 1979 or so, has two green supplements.
The first was 'The K Series Pentax Camara and Lens System" about the KX and KM
These pages were bound in, the same way as the main white pages, just before page 65 the chapter "Operating the Pentax ES and the ES II"

The end of the book has a section "The Pentax ME and MX" which was obviously an addition to the completed books
This was stapled with a single wire staple then glued to page 366. Yes, those stapled pages have worn through the staple and are coming loose.